VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else has parted out a car to the point where the shell ,Unibody,is all that is left ??? I am about to get mine ready to drag away and I was wondering what place or towing company will come and get it . Can I get anything for it , scrap metal ,etc.??? If so ,how much should I expect to get ?The car will basically just be a shell when I am through with it. I may even remove all the glass. Has anyone else had one taken away recently ? HOpefully mine will be ready to go in about a week or two, my garage needs to be used for other things like starting a new project for the winter ...

· Registered
16,758 Posts
Re: Parted out Shell of an 86 Jetta (WERDNA75)

Take it to Colorado Salvage off Santa Fe...they will weigh the shell and give you money for it!
They gave me $60 for a shell a few months ago. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Parted out Shell of an 86 Jetta (GTiG6O)

I cant take it anywhere, It is not even going to have wheels on it or axles for that matter. Im going to have to drag it out of the garage and have it winched onto a flatbed. Im thinking someone will probably come and get it ,but I dont know if I will get anything for it with them having to come and get it from my Garage .

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Re: Parted out Shell of an 86 Jetta (huje)

I just did that recently and I gave it away to this Mexican dude in the neighborhood. It's best if you throw some crap suspension under the rear and leave the axle together, etc so it will roll on the rears. Use donuts or steelies for wheels. None of that stuff back there is hard to come by and it's nothing special if it's a stock 86 Jetta. It will be loads easier to move by yourself, too. I removed everything but the rear susp, and just rolled it around on a floor jack. Real easy to do. The tow guys will appreciate it, too. But don't expect any cash for it. They have to do all the work and they're only gonna make about $50 in weight off that car....if that.

· Registered
2,146 Posts
Re: Parted out Shell of an 86 Jetta (337gurl)

Quote, originally posted by 337gurl »
cut it into pieces, find a buddy with a truck and haul it out that way. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,598 Posts
Re: Parted out Shell of an 86 Jetta (GTiG6O)

Quote, originally posted by GTiG6O »
Take it to Colorado Salvage off Santa Fe...they will weigh the shell and give you money for it!
They gave me $60 for a shell a few months ago. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I'll come and pick it up for free this week if you want. I will then take it up to colo salvage and get the $60 for myself and whoever wants to help me load it (robin??) minus diesel for the truck.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Re: Parted out Shell of an 86 Jetta (Colorado 16v)

I just took a shell to Colorado Auto Parts and they only gave me $38. A far cry from $60. I even filled the shell with all the scrap fenders, hoods and engines I could find...
$55 a ton
mine weighed in at 1340lb

· Registered
2,146 Posts
Re: Parted out Shell of an 86 Jetta (myvwisfast)

Quote, originally posted by myvwisfast »
I just took a shell to Colorado Auto Parts and they only gave me $38. A far cry from $60. I even filled the shell with all the scrap fenders, hoods and engines I could find...
$55 a ton
mine weighed in at 1340lb
you got robbed. They seriously gave robin 60 bucks and the scrap metal weighed only like 850lbs.

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Parted out Shell of an 86 Jetta (lucaq)

That sounds good to me. I just have to get the rear brakes and S/S brake lines off of it which I can do in about 30mins. I have some extra bumper rebars and scrap metal that can go with it too. Let me know when you want to come get it.
BTW: Does anyone have the Cutaway 22mm Socket to remove the front Struts on an A2 , I need to borrow one. No air tools available so I cant zing it off that way .

Modified by WERDNA75 at 9:57 AM 9-26-2005

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Re: Parted out Shell of an 86 Jetta (WERDNA75)

i imagine that the value of scrap metal fluxuates depending on demand. that might explain the different results. just a thought.

· Registered
2,146 Posts
Re: Parted out Shell of an 86 Jetta (myvwisfast)

Quote, originally posted by myvwisfast »
that sucks...
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Yeah some times those guys can be cool and other times they can be totally *******s. mostly they are just rude.

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Parted out Shell of an 86 Jetta (alpinegli)

Actually , I believe I do have a Front Big-Bumper Rebar. I thought it looked a little different. I bought if from a Garage Sale and the Car that it came off of was not around. I have the marker lights that go into it too. $30

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.