VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is anything else you can do to the Passat 2.0 16V engine besides new cams? Is there a bolt on Turbo Charger made for the 16V out there? I've heard from some mechanics it's not worth putting on a Turbo.
I've already done supersprint header, borla exhaust, and will be modding my intake and air box. I've put in the P-chip already too!
Still need more power though. I guess i should just buy a Golf or Bora 1.8turbo if I want that much power....
any opinons will be helpful,
thanx
dave henderson

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Passat 16V Turbo???? (Wrenhaven)

Thanks a lot,
I think a friend's father went down to them with his 97 Toyota Supra and got it up to 650HP!
I'm from Canada and my dollar doesn't go far down there, but I'll keep them as a possibility if the funds come it.
until next time
dave

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Passat 16V Turbo???? (GTR John)

how much am i looking at for a system similar to that of matrixengeneering down in oregon?
preferably in cad $$
also do you have a website?
thanx
dave

[Modified by mixmaster, 12:54 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Passat 16V Turbo???? (impIII)

how much $$$ have you dropped on the 91...
hmmm that's a good question....
P-chip $100 +
Steering rack $1200. (that really sucked for a maintenance fee) also had to replace both rear and front motormouts $170 rear and about $85 front.
Boge Pro Gas shocks $850
Neuspeed Sport Springs $450 (i can't remember if that is the price though)
17" Enkei RS6 wheels and Yokohama AVID H4 $1600 Installed
New front Cross Drilled calladium plated rotors $300 and PBT Metalmaster Break Pads (front and rear)$45/each
Supersprint Header $450 used plus $400 install
Borla Muffler $200 Plus install...
Hella DE euro lights Smoked $1000 ish installed with tax
oh yeah and a new Deck, amplifier and speakers about $850.
that's about it.
I think the best thing for performance was the P-chip (best bang for the buck)
I still need to do the intake, rear rotors, new front bumper (it broke off driving through piles of snow: Don't ask
) maybe a turbo (if i can get it cheap enought, and probably some body work. and if I can afford a paint job with paying for University that would be nice too.
that's it what do you have in yours?
dave

[Modified by mixmaster, 12:57 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Passat 16V Turbo???? (mixmaster)

No website. You should stop by one day if your ever in town. We can install other turbo's in your car, but we also make our own GTR brand turbo's. Our MR2 GTR turbo is actually better than that of GReddys. More reliability and watercooled for high temperatures that stops seizing. My dad's tuned the MR2 2.0 motor to about 400BHP. Cars a rocket. Ran 13.8 at Mission with barely touching the gas and we're currently working on it and bumping it up to about 500BHP.
Stop by. Promise to make it worth your time.

And our GTR turbo kit will probably run you cheaper than that of Matrix's Turbo. Probably get more power too. The Matrix kit I've heard gives you a max horsepower increase up to about 195 BHP wich IN my opinion sucks. My dads tuned a Dodge Colt 1.6 Turbo up to 200+BHP and this thing slaughter's Mustang 5.0's. These cars are reliable as well.
Call 543-9595 and ask to speak to George. Tell him you talked to John off of the Internet.

[Modified by GTR John, 12:23 AM 4-10-2002]

[Modified by GTR John, 12:26 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
4,764 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]The Matrix kit I've heard gives you a max horsepower increase up to about 195 BHP wich IN my opinion sucks.[HR][/HR]​
Well, hmmm, ummm
Matrix trubo on a 2.0l 16v, they post on their website 175HP @ the wheels. Thats only stage 1. The only work required is a basic straight bolt-on turbo, with new exhaust and chip. It sounds as though your Dads shop does a little more work then that. You mentioned water cooled.... that type of setup simply requires more time and labour for setup. No doubt you can get more HP out of a fancier turbo sytem.
Mixmaster, I suggest you make a few calls. Get an idea of what you want, and how much it'll cost you. Ask about all parts and labour required, and future upgrades, maintenance. Then you might have a better idea what the best solution for you is. Also, spend $50 and buy Corky Bells Maximum Boost. That book will tell you everything you need to know.Good luck

·
Registered
4,614 Posts

Stage1 is a 5-7 psi turbo kit & software, stage2, in development, is has an intercooler, upgraded injectors and software, stage 3, no idea! Call matrix
The stage one kit, keeps your stock compression level, if you lower your compression you can up the boost.
The thing I've found is that the stock Engine managment sucks for higher level boost applications. So changing to a Tec II or something like is very worth it. That way once you lower your compression you can up the boost now that you have your fuel problems worked out.

·
Registered
20,415 Posts

QUOTE "So, what more can Matrix do to the 16 valve after stage 1?? He's got a good list of moods on his car already. A turbo is a nice step up."
OK, you try to pretend that you know what you are talking about and then you make statements like this ???? Maybe i'm missiing something, or perhaps once again you're talking out of your a*s.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Passat 16V Turbo???? (TBT-PassatG60)

I never knew that Matrix had stages. I only heard of the upgrade that gives up to 175 WHP. So, they've only completed stage 1? Does anyone know when the stage 2 and 3 will be available?
TBT-PassatG60; I'm sure you've heard of the guys at RPIEquiped. They're probably the most harcore VW guys here in B.C. If you ever go there, ask them about GT Racing. We do their blowers and others from across Canada and the U.S. They'll set your dumb ass straight.
Are you going to the White Rock meet on April 21?

·
Registered
20,415 Posts

I'm guessing that you're dad really does knows what he's talking about. However you on the other hand make me laugh on a daily basis. Just for the record I know both Dustan and Warren at RPi. lol. NO more insults. lets save those for the mark 4 forums. Just for the record. I'd call RPi the third most hardcore shop in BC, they don't even have their own shop they're really just a warehouse of parts. HPA and Momentum are garage based businesses atleast.

[Modified by TBT-PassatG60, 3:32 PM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
4,764 Posts

Geeze I hate this.
Whenever I read something that I know is not right on track, I like to post to inform, not play "I know more than you, I'm God, take my know it all advice and walk off a cliff"
Sorry, that comment isn't directed to anyone at all, honest. Lets just try to keep our tone on the level. Some of us have experience, others have knowledge, and still others have enthusiasm. When we all come together on the Vortex, those combinations help make the best VW spot on the web... am I right?
Anyway, Wrenhaven has good points about fuel managment. The Matrix kit Stg 1 is low boost, cuz with our 16v's already pushing 10.8:1 compression, high boost is asking for moocho grande fire trips to the moon
I understood that Stg 2 was available... but Wrenhaven again would know more than me since he's working on a future turbo project. Anyway, Intercooling is the point I wanted to make here, higher boost almost demands intercooling, at least if you're going over 7 or 8 PSI. Its cleaner that way, and a clean cool forced air engine is a happy engine, and a peppy one too

Note: Don't ask me how Z-Engineering does what they do without intercooling. They're an exception. It baffels me!
Cheers

·
Registered
5,268 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]HPA and Momentum are garage based businesses atleast. [HR][/HR]​
hellyeah.
and GTR Joan... for the love of God, please let your daddy do the talking. You flapping your gums makes him look bad.
It's good to give props to the shops you like, but make sure when quoting statistics you are being factual.
Not speculative.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Passat 16V Turbo???? (slingshotG60)

Hey. I told my dad about the Matrix stage one kit and he says he can do better. And I may not be more knowledgable than you or many others about 2.0 GL's, but my dad does. My car was bought with a blown motor and he rebuilt it so he knows the engine quite well and what it's capable of doing if modified CORRECTLY. I ask my dad things I'm unsure of and he let's me know, so I'm actually doing the talking for my dad, but there's just a lot of ignorant people on here that just think that only big name modifying companies like Matrix rule, but there are some small mod shops with mechanics that can really get the job DONE just as good with there own custom kits.
If you read back to every time I insult someone, they've always started it. That's how it works.
I'm not really sure what they do at RPI, all I know is that they send ALL their blowers to us for rebuilding as well as the local VW dealerships. I've been to RPI once to pick up some stuff and it did look like it was more of a parts warehouse. I've heard of Momentum, but not of HPA.
TBT-PassatG60; Why don't you stop by one day, just to see what we're all about. We're probably one of very few mod shops anywhere that will modify ANY car. We specialize in everything. I promise that I'll be nice.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,764 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] If you read back to every time I insult someone, they've always started it. That's how it works.[HR][/HR]​
I'm too lazy to search the Vortex about that one, so I just hope you're right on that, for your sake.
quote:[HR][/HR] Hey. I told my dad about the Matrix stage one kit and he says he can do better[HR][/HR]​
Then why don't you make one up and show us Canadians how we can save money with your Dads product. I'd seriously look into it if you can factually back up your words.
quote:[HR][/HR]My car was bought with a blown motor and he rebuilt it so he knows the engine quite well and what it's capable of doing if modified CORRECTLY.[HR][/HR]​
A mechanic is a mechanic. You fix a 69 corevette, maybe you can fix a 91 VW. Just becuase your Dad rebuilt your engine doesn't make him an expert on that car now.
quote:[HR][/HR]but there's just a lot of ignorant people on here...[HR][/HR]​
Just by saying that you put yourself in that group John. Yes some guys raz you a bit harder than others, but I think you read too much into whats posted. I rarely find ignorance in this forum. I suggest you reread some of the others postings for the content, not the tone, and open yourself to learn with us. Trouble happens when someone trys to force their opinion onto others as fact. Your opinion is fine, and share it with us. Its even OK to disagree, but differing opinions doesn't mean someone is right and the other wrong.
quote:[HR][/HR]...that just think that only big name modifying companies like Matrix rule, but there are some small mod shops with mechanics that can really get the job DONE just as good with there own custom kits.[HR][/HR]​
I think your misunderstanding some people here. I've never heard anyone state that a little shop can't do what a larger one does. But, the fact remains that places like Matrix for instance have been developing performance products for a long time. They have the feild experience, and they got big becuase the product they sell makes a name for itself. So when a Vortexer has $$$ to spend, do I tell him to try the little guy down the street, or the pay the other guy with the big name and proven product? I'd do the later only becuase its a "safer" choice. I don't ever tell someone to not try others, but I can't recommend them cause I just don't know what they do. Do you understand that?
Have a
Enjoy the Vortex.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]We specialize in everything. [HR][/HR]​
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Oxy Moron.
Such a thing does not exist. If your dad specializes in
"everything" why has nobody ever heard of him?

truly another reinforcing example of you making your dad
look bad.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.