VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody
i'm new to this board, i just found it yesterday. i love it, there's such a wealth of information.
about me: i live in columbus ohio, moving to chicago in august
my car: I have a 1995 Passat GLS 2.0L. I love it, it's my doll. Her name is "Lady". She's got 204,000 miles on her and going strong. It was my fathers company car before I had it, and it was lovingly maintained by the dealer until I got it at 123,000 miles almost three years ago. It's having its share of problems, but nothing too major. Just normal wear and tear.
Now here's the question. What should my oil temps be when i'm driving down the highway (65mph) and the outside temp is around 80 degrees? I seem to be running around 216 on the highway (coolant temp right below 200). This seems to hot to me...last summer oil temp was always around 196. What could cause the oil to run hotter than it used to? could this be due to a bad thermostat? what are your thoughts. I want to make sure "lady" gets through another 100,000 miles. Am i just getting paranoid, or is there something that i should look at to cool it down a bit.
thanks everyone!
tristan

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Re: Passat B4 oil tempature, new to board (teedoggg)

Welcome to the vortex!
As for oil temps, there are some other threads on here about the "normal" range of temps.
Basically, your temps are pretty good. Many people here have the VR6 engine which runs a bit hotter (Mine stay around 220-225 oil temp, 190-200 coolant temp).
The bently says:
"Specification for engine at normal operating temperature: 80 to 105C (176 to 221F)" for the 2.0L
Outside/ambient air temperature does/can influence the oil temp.
When was the last time you changed the coolant?
Are you using VW/Pentosin coolant G11 (you should be
?
What is your ratio of distilled water to coolant? If you don't get extreme temperatures, you might want to try 60% water:40% coolant.
There is mixed thought on coolant additives, but there are many people who suggest using Water Wetter.
Summary: if coolant's fresh, your temps are okay, but working to bring the temp down wouldn't be a bad idea.
Hope that helps,
Abe
PS - 204k! Great job maintaining that beast!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Re: Passat B4 oil tempature, new to board (teedoggg)

I do agree the stock VW engines are set up coming out of the factory to run pretty hot (particularly the VR6!), and you might be able to safely drop the temps down a little bit (switch to a lower-temp thermostat). Just keep in mind you want your oil temps to ideally get to boiling, and to reach that point quickly if you drive short trips (the factory coolant-oil heat exchanger is good for this.)
Ideally, you actually want your oil temperatures to be or near boiling point of water (212 deg. F). It helps drive out all the water that can accumulate in there and accelerate engine wear otherwise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts