VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide. Will be getting a wagon to replace my minivan. Will get a manual transmission. Already have a sports car (Audi TT); so if I want turbo fun I already can do that. I am looking for this car to have good gas milage, good handling and adequate acceleration.
Passat and Legacy are close for me; drove a Passat 1.8T 4Motion wagon yesterday - drives nice, quiet over bumps, reasonable handling, very easy start (clutch/1st gear), good acceleration. Thought it handled a little better than the Legacy 2.5i wagon I have driven; Legacy steering seemed a little slower, shocks a little weaker and there seemed to be a little more noise from bumps. Legacy did seem to corner flatter and brakes felt better. Legacy had a auto trans, so it was hard to compare acceleration but I am estimating that the Passat will do better. Will be driving a manual Legacy to check that out.
Both interiors are very nice; there are some interesting differences.
- Legacy has dual auto temp control, Passat has manual control
- Passat passenger seat has up/down and lumbar adjust, Legacy doesn't
- Legacy wagon has big/long sun roof, Passat's is smaller
- Passat has built in garage door opener, Legacy doesn't
- Legacy rear seats fold flat, Passat's require seat bottoms to be fliped up

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: Passat GLS Variant 4Motion vs '05 Legacy 2.5i Limited (SchulzTT)

If you're going to consider an '05 Legacy, it has to be the 2.5 Turbo, 250hp and 250 torque. The standard 2.5 has no umph. I owned a '97 Outback for three years and it was a dog, awesome in the snow but no get up and go. Unfortunately the 2.5 engine hasn't changed much. If you don't want the turbo Legacy then get the Passat 1.8T and chip it. In my opinion the Passat offers a far better driving experience.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re: Passat GLS Variant 4Motion vs '05 Legacy 2.5i Limited (harthouse)

I'm anxiously awaiting the 250HP '05 Legacy wagon. I'm on my third Passat, and while I'll be somewhat reluctant to "leave" VW land, I'm hoping that the new Legacy will be good enough to ease the transition. The ideal car for me is a 4cyl, (maybe diesel) MANUAL transmission, all wheel drive wagon. VW won't bring that here, and with private college costs, the A-4 is too much.
In the Northwest, the Legacy is an extremely successful product- they are simply everywhere, so I'll miss the relative exclusivity of the Passat. The current Legacy's interior leaves much to be desired, but the photos of the '05 look like they have made up much ground. I've never liked the mechanical sounds of the boxer engines in Subbies. They simply don't have the refinement of the VW, Toyota, or Honda engines. I suppose there is a quaintness to the sound that you get used to. I saw the first Outback ad on the tube last night, so maybe product is about to arrive. I can't wait....

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

The biggest difference might be in going over speed bumps or other large bumps: The Legacy seems to have much more tolerance for such things...perhaps because of more suspension travel. The Legacy back seat leg room is slightly less. For 2005 the Legacy has an improved interior, not quite as good as the Passat.
If you were to buy based on price, the 2004 Legacy is available at an amazingly low price. Don't overlook the 2005 Volvo V50 AWD: It is only 180 inches long and is said to handle very well. The V50 intro date may be a few months off.
As a past owner of a Legacy GT wagon, I would seriously consider the Outback H6 VDC, though the price is a little high.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, I have a '04 1.8T 4mo sedan, and my wife has an '03 Outback H6 Wagon.
Accelleration:
Subaru much quicker off the line, Passat better passing on road once it's up on the turbo
Interior room:
Passat hands-down. I don't care what the specs say, the Passat has several more inches of usable leg room, and the extra inch or so of shoulder room is very noticeable. I can take the Subie for an hour or so. Long trips, only the Passat
Mileage:
Passat. With me driving, my Passat gets 29 - 31 MPG on the highway, the Subie gets maybe 22 MPG. Both drink premium.
Cost:
GLS 4mo sedan was $2K less than the Subie wagon.

FWIW,
George

·
Registered
139 Posts

i am a subaru salesman. the 05 legacy turbo wagon was sweet they are great but the passat is way more comfortable and gives a way sweeter ride. 250hp from the legacy is hard to turn down except it cost alot to modify them and the 05 is the only way you can get a turbo with a stick to my knowledge

·
Registered
277 Posts

In my opinion, the 4Mo (Torsen/Quattro) AWD system is superior. This system is purely mechanical and an elegant design. 50/50 torque split, variable to around 70% either way.
The Subie will require fewer repairs. Passats can become quite problem-prone in old age. Sure, there are bad Subies out there, too, but your chances of trouble are much higher with a VW. I'm willing to accept VW issues to drive a car that thoroughly satisfies me.
I think the Passat's interior and comfort are superior. Better fuel economy, too.
The 4Mo B5 Passat is on the same platform as the B5 Audi A4. Same mechanical bits, same AWD system. Good stuff!
My pick (obviously): Passat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts