VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Just purchased a 2002 Passat 1.8T, and I must say, I am impressed with the automobile so far. I am coming out of an Audi A6 which was an outstanding car, but now that I have two children, I could not justify the expense of a new A6.
Anyhow, I have a few questions that I thought that I would pose to you guys:
First, I want to chip the engine. I understand the ramifications of a voided warranty, but I want to know if any of you guys have experience with someone who has lost a warranty claim due to chipping. Please give me as much feedback as possible on this. I am familiar with APR and Wett, but I was reading about Garrett and another chip on this forum. Any web links would be appreciated.
Second, the Passat is very smooth, but has a tad too much body roll for my tastes, so I would like to try to firm the ride without suffering too much in ride quality. Is this a mutually exclusive proposition?

Lastly, and I guess this goes with the second point: wheels and tires. I would like opinions on the ride/handling characteristics of your cars before and after you upgraded wheels and tires. I am riding on the stock aluminum 15's with the 195/65's, and I'm interested in 16's and 17's.
I know everyone is annoyed with newbies, but I would appreciate and help that I can get.
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
862 Posts
Re: Passat Newbie has some Questions: Kinda long (hoffbrau)

Hey Matt:
First off, welcome! You know all that money you saved by getting a Passat over an A6? You're about to spend it all on mods.

Seriously, though...re: chips, I have the V6, so I won't go into chips since you have the 1.8T. I've only had my chip since late October, so I don't know if I'll have any issues with a warranty claim...BUT, I did get the stock chip socketed, so if necessary, I can swap out the chip.
Second, re: suspension, you have a couple of options: the 1BE setup (which is VW OEM, but wicked expensive), Neuspeed SofSports, and/or H&R OE's. They all drop the car less than an inch and firm up the ride. I'm planning on the 1BE's myself, but only because I have an extended warranty.
Third, re: tires/rims, I have 17" rims w/ 225/45-17 tires. I live in NYC; the potholes and the uneven roads are definitely felt in my butt more than with the OEM 15" rims and tires, but it's not too bad. I find that it's bearable; my mom doesn't seem to mind too much, either.
Good luck, and if you get a chance, wander over to Club B5, it's a place dedicated solely to B5 and B5.5 Passats.

·
Registered
455 Posts

Chip:
You might want to talk to the dealership about this one. Some dealers are okay with chips and some dealers are not. I was talking to a VW dealership about this and he said that yes, it would void the warranty, although often some dealers would be willing to fix anything for you as long as it's not related to the chip. I also talked to a Honda salesman about this once, and he said that modifying your car within limits is fine. If you blow your engine because you put a T-66 turbo on your Civic or gave it a 300 hp shot of NOS, that'll be your fault. But otherwise, stuff like exhausts, intakes and other less extreme mods would be alright, especially if it's not the part responsible for whatever is wrong with your engine that caused you to seek service in the first place.
Tires:
Basically, going to a larger rim size would give you improved handling and steering response while ride quality would proportionately deteriorate. Going to 16" tires shouldn't make too much a difference, and with 17" tires handling would improve noticeably while ride quality would deteriorate but not to unacceptable levels. With 18" tires the ride will definitely be an issue if you are concerned with comfort.
Don't take my word for anything, my B5 is fully stock.
However, there are pleny of others on this forum who have made changes to these parts who I'm sure would be willing to share their experiences.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts

I noticed a big difference when I went from the stock 15" to 16" high performance tires. The car just felt that much more stable and confidence inspiring. On high speed freeway runs, the car felt much less floaty.
I've got two kids as well, and no one complains at all even when I toss the car around. Plus, with the 16's I don't have to worry so much about bumps and hazards as I probably would with anything bigger.
Road noise was only slightly higher--no noticeable with music playing--and the car tracks a bit more on heavily grooved roads. Minor things compared to the improvement in handling.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Re: Passat Newbie has some Questions: Kinda long (Stargazer)

Suspension? Depends on what kind of ride comfort you want

You might want to drop the car about 1-2" when doing so, to eliminate the 4x4 look

Pick up a big rear sway bar, you'll thank yourself.
Chips? APR or GIAC are very popular. Others have more reports of problems.
Wheels and tires? Pick up a sturdy 16" or 17" wheel. Consider Yokohama AVS dBs for the quietest tires ever, and AVS Intermediates or Sports for great handling.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

I put 17 x 8's on my Passat with 225/45 Toyo Proxies T1-S. The change in steering response was dramatically improved over the stock wheel. I have also lowered the car with Eibach pro sports kit, although I didn't notice a dramatic change in handling with this mod but the car looks alot better. My only regret with my wheels because they are 8' wide I should have put on 245/40 tyres. I'll be doing this when my current rubber wears out.
Can't give you an opinion on chipping as I haven't done it yet!!! but I will as soon as I get some spare denari.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts

I'm familiar with APR but I sent my ECU off to Neuspeed. My technician informed me that the VAG Tool used by dealerships cannot detect an upgraded ECU. I didn't have any issues when I had my 15,000 mile oilchange, but the VW mechanic did notice my brakes and Remus exhaust.

p.s. Be sure to write down your ECU #, just in case you would like to buy another stock one to hold on to. I purchased a 2nd ECU from Germany for my 2001.5 and paid about $300.00US

·
Premium Member
19,383 Posts

Welcome! I had the same feelings you did about the suspension. No sooner did I drive the car off the lot than I was asking "new springs, how much...?". I chose the 1BE setup because I used to live in a snow state and too much drop would be a problem during the winter. It is very good, being the european suspension package. I am very happy with it. I have not upgraded my wheels or chipped yet.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Re: Passat Newbie has some Questions: Kinda long (atomicalex)

Chip, yes, very nice mod, you'll love it and if you have an ok relationship with your dealer, fine! Look also at Upsolute and Autothority.com. A lot of people have a lot of different views but i seems that GIAC/Garrett is one of the favourites besides Upsolute. Do some searching in the 1.8t forum!
Wheels/tires will greatly improve your ride w/ practically the same noise/comfort levels, next step would be springs and shocks. I did coilovers, they're very "sporty", if you're not a fan don't do it although my wife and kids love it

Have fun, and yes, modding is fun http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Passat Newbie has some Questions: Kinda long (ajchenmph)

Andy,
Agree with your observation about the money; please don't tell my wife.

I guess I'll take my mods one at a time, and hopefully she won't realize what I've done!!!!!!
Thanks to everyone who answered. I'll probably go giac or apr for my chip; not sure if I'll buy an extra ecu, but I probably will.
Wheels: I'll definitely go sixteen unless I buy the capezio vw wheels. They look real nice.
Thanks again.
Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.