1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Considering sales are "very favor in SUVs" this probably doesn't bode well for either Arteon or Jetta, def Arteon. Perhaps VW will go the way of Ford, only EV passenger cars, trucks and SUVs. This is not surprising as VW has watered down their offerings and options dramatically over the last ten years.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That stinks.....I plan on buying a 2021 blk R line, now that it has nav and fender and is best looking trim line...no chrome and GREAT wheels. Will be trading in my Arteon for it.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Considering sales are "very favor in SUVs" this probably doesn't bode well for either Arteon or Jetta, def Arteon. Perhaps VW will go the way of Ford, only EV passenger cars, trucks and SUVs. This is not surprising as VW has watered down their offerings and options dramatically over the last ten years.
Well at least in the US . Row still has a market for them. Hoping they keep the Arteon though because now maybe it will be an easier choice to sedan lovers when it is just between Jetta or Arteon.

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Well at least in the US . Row still has a market for them. Hoping they keep the Arteon though because now maybe it will be an easier choice to sedan lovers when it is just between Jetta or Arteon.

I, for one, hope you are right.

·
Registered
121 Posts
IMHO, I think like everything else in the car world, the suv/crossover craze is a phase, and once everyone has their fill, cars will come back once more. The automotive industry has a tendency to go through 10 year phases. That being said, it will no less suck that cars will be less of an option in the coming years.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMHO, I think like everything else in the car world, the suv/crossover craze is a phase, and once everyone has their fill, cars will come back once more. The automotive industry has a tendency to go through 10 year phases. That being said, it will no less suck that cars will be less of an option in the coming years.
True! Wagons have a special place for me, and those have been compromised too because of the SUV craze.

Reactions: KCJeep

·
Registered
156 Posts
True and I hope so. Things were tight when we were first married, my wife drove a wagon for many years when Mini Vans were all the rage. We finally were able to get a mini-van, which she now has been driving one for 21 years! And mini-vans have been "out" for a long time though they are so darn practical (like wagons) you still see them around. Of course now she wants an SUV which all the cool kids have been driving over 10 years. I will get her one, but I'm still in a sedan and I do hope they trend back.

And I still think wagons are cool, especially "Euro Wagons" it's a shame they won't sell over here.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welp! Passat is out in EU too. Arteon gonna get axed too! Sucks!

·
Registered
290 Posts
That’s too bad, but the NMS Passat wasn’t good. The arteon is (was). I don’t get the trend towards SUV’s. Hopefully it’ll swing back the other way. Sedans are much more interesting.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yep that is too bad. Everyone wants to sit high up. I have owned two SUVs in my life and I haven’t missed sitting up high and I decided that unless I’m towing/hauling or frequently driving places that require extra ground clearance, then a liftback/fastback/hatchback or wagon is a better all around vehicle.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yep that is too bad. Everyone wants to sit high up. I have owned two SUVs in my life and I haven’t missed sitting up high and I decided that unless I’m towing/hauling or frequently driving places that require extra ground clearance, then a liftback/fastback/hatchback or wagon is a better all around vehicle.
I own one now, so I’m part of the problem. I’d prefer a wagon overall, but I got a good deal...

As we trend in that direction, manufacturers’ investment in cars has bottomed out, and it’s just kinda become self-fulfilling. If I had to choose between an Atlas and a Passat right now, it’d be an easy choice. I had a B5.5 that I liked a lot. These days, they just seem so mediocre. The arteon was just a victim of the times. VW has always had issues with selling more expensive vehicles in NA. Bringing that over right when sedan interest was bottoming out was going to be a very tough sell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
While I agree that there has been a significant swing toward SUVs, I think these cuts are to make room in the line up for future electric vehicles, including the Vizzion. VW is making a huge investment to electrify their lineup, and I think it is likely that there will be a few sedans from VW and Audi.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just sad for the Arteon. Gonna be short-lived! Although they didn't specifically state when, 2023 looks to be a sad year for sedans. Collector status then? Haha

·
Registered
156 Posts
Unfortunately, the value of completely discontinued models tends to drop faster than those that they are still selling, even if updated. But then if we were that fixated on resale we'd not be in a VW (or any German car) in the first place.

Arteons stand to mostly fall into the hands of intentional and passionate owners, that's a good thing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Only time will tell, but I do agree in this thread that as we move into the 2020 decade, manufacturers are definitely pushing toward semi or full electric line up simply in terms of where we are headed inevitably. Hopefully, though, the affordability of fuel, and the operating costs of those vehicles still dependent up on them, will remain at a reasonable cost as we move into this electrification onto our road ways, but I don't think that will be an issue for probably another 50 years considering how many millions of vehicles are on the road in the US alone. We cannot predict the future in it's entirety, but we can speculate, which I will gladly do behind the wheel of this remarkably great vehicle while I still can.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
It's a little sad to see the name 'Passat' go off the market, but the U.S. Passat died for me when the last shared European model left our shores, replaced by the U.S.-specific version debuted. I had no issue with the car being U.S. built - but I did have a big issue with the decontenting, especially the elimination of the 4-motion and wagon versions. And though I did try moving to a CC after my last Passat, because it still had the VR6 and 4-motion, I found it very difficult to live with a traditional sedan, so eventually moved to an Audi wagon, and now the Arteon. I can't say I'd miss the current Passat - I would miss the Arteon if it left the market - as I'd be back to hunting for any remaining wagons or large 5-door hatches with AWD from any manufacturers left. I could go to an SUV if I had to, but really would prefer not to - wagons or large hatches are the perfect car for my needs - roomy for 4 people, tons of cargo space, better mileage, handling, braking, and feel than SUVs, and AWD for rain and weather stability.
It's going to get more and more difficult to get the type of cars I've been enjoying - wagons and hatches are being replaced by SUVs, gas engines are to be phased out for electric, and the few niche cars that will still fit the bill are all running very north of $60K (A7, A6 wagon, Mercedes E wagon, Panamera, etc). Oh well - cross that road when I get to it - for now, the Arteon is filling the bill and not even 2 years old yet.

·
Registered
952 Posts
my wife has an Atlas, i love driving that SUV. but at the end of the day i always enjoy getting into my Arteon.
with all of this going on, im proud to say that i will have 2 of some of the rarest VW's ever made!!! a 90 Corrado G60 and an Arteon SEL-P 4Motion! hahaha

Reactions: eteather
1 - 20 of 26 Posts