VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 95 VR6 Auto has been sitting all winter while I have been away at university (8 months). I have fired it up about three times over the 8 months to keep everything somewhat lubed. It was time for an oil change when I parked it so that will be the first order of business.
Is there anything else that I should be doing as far as maintenance goes, when I put her back on the road?
Oh and do any other Canadians find that the fram oil filters are retardedly overpriced here? Cost me $45 for my last one!!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Re: Passat sitting all winter - what maintenance to do? (Adonnis)

An oil change is most important. Don't use Fram filters they are garbage. Check all you're other fluids to make sure they all topped of and look like the proper color. VW power steering fluid is green, brake fluid is a light amber, and coolant should be either blue G11, or pink G12. Check your brakes. If the car hasn't been moved in a while they will be rusty. When you drive it, gently apply the brakes a couple of times to get the rust off of the rotors. Check your tires, and probably have them balanced after about 100 miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Passat sitting all winter - what maintenance to do? (VR6_MAN)

should I not be using green coolant??

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Adonnis »
should I not be using green coolant??

no

·
Registered
29 Posts

using water remover/gas treatment like heet might also be a good idea with ure tank...if there was gas left in the tank over this whole time, it prolly has accumulated some moisture over this time. i usually do a radiator flush b4 and after winter for good measures, but its not entirely necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts