VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and was reading all the threads from everyone about how much fluid comes out & goes back into the transmissions. I have the 2001.5 Passat GLS and I did the tranny service today... I got my complete kit online for about $120 from http://www.BlauParts.com . I took some pictures today too, which I will try to get uploaded sometime tomorrow.
Anyways, I wanted to let everyone know about MY experience today.
We removed the drain plug and the fluid was BLACK. I mean - blacker than black - it was BAAAD. My car has right at 65K miles.
We let it drain out and measured it - NOT EVEN A FULL 1.5 LITERS. No wonder my car has been hesitating, jerking, rough shifting, and driving like crap.
So, we dropped the pan, removed the filter, etc etc and cleaned the pan out very thoroughly... no large pieces of metal (yay!).
We got all the new parts in place and began to reassemble it.. started pumping fluid in the filler hole with the hand pump and tubing (that came with the kit)... 1 liter in OK... 2 liters in OK... 3 liters in OK.... 4 liters in... starts to run back out. Get in the car, go through the gears and stay in each one for ten seconds, leave the car running (keeping an eye on the temp!!!) and get the remainder of the 4th liter in OK... put the 5th liter in.... almost every little bit goes back into the transmission (remember we only took out less than 2 liters!)

I take the car on a test drive - all I can say is W-O-W! It is driving like a dream. Beautiful. Magnificent. Like a champ!

So, if anyone has transmission issues (jumping, hesitations, high RPMs, hard shifts, surging, etc) I recommend you try what we did today... and hey - you just might get the great results I got today.

Again - I will post pictures up tomorrow of the full process.

Sorry if this is long-winded or in the wrong place. I am new and just joined right now to share my experience with you all.

~Jenn

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Passat tranny fluid/filter changed.... (DigiGirlFL)

Can someone tell me how to upload the pictures?? Thanks

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
you have to host them somewhere like photobucket or flickr and then link to them.
congrats on your success... satisfying isnt it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (5P4RK4)

Yes it is VERY satisfying! I have had this car for one month and I was thinking I had bit off more than I could handle.... the parts and maintenance are sooooo much more expensive than what I was used to with my Ford Taurus... but, I have come to realize that, even though it may cost a little more, I can get more LIFE out of this car than I could the Taurus! When I got this car, there were NO maintenance records of ANY KIND... and I didnt get an owners manual either, so I am searching for one of those too. Mine is the 2001.5 VW New Passat with the 6 speed auto tiptronic... I was told it is the GLS edition, but mine has features of the GLX (leather with heated front seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, 6 disc CD changer in the trunk, etc) so I am still a little baffled about that.
The car lot I got it from doesnt have a CLUE about this car... a guy traded it in and I bought it less than 4 days later.
I have already done the following in the month since I got the car: Brakes all the way around (they werent that bad but I did them when I did a brake fluid flush and fill), four new tires (I got the Bridgestone Potenza ones), both front CV axles, transmission service with filter and fluid change, oil flush and fill (used fully synthetic Royal Purple oil in it.. was told its pretty good
), and had to repair the daytime running light bracket thingies because the wiring had basically dry rotted or something due to the extreme engine heat (that little "boot" did NOTHING to stop it from happening).
Next on my list: Figure out if I can change out the in-dash factory radio and hook up MY stereo that I took out of my Taurus (2 15" subs with 2 amps and capacitors).... I may need to check the voltage and up the ante on the electrical system first so I dont pop fuses every other day (I did that in the Taurus at least once a week - Pep Boys and Auto Zone got to know me on a first name basis!
)
Anyways - I absolutely LOVE this car!

·
Registered
2015 Audi S4, 2002 Honda S2000
6,726 Posts
Re: (DigiGirlFL)

You did more maintanence in a month than most people do in a year lol

Good job, tho.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (MightyDSM)

Well, I dont want things to start breaking down one after another... and because I didnt get ANY records with the car, I figured it wouldnt hurt to go ahead and do all that stuff.
I was reading other posts on here about SeaFoam but my friend (master certified mechanic) said that I should NOT do it to my car because it WILL mess it up (he stressed the NOT and WILL).
What do you all think? Its the 1.8L 20v turbo Passat with tiptronic
I wanna go ahead and do EVERYTHING i can to stop/reverse any sludge (which he said that my car will NOT get sludge and a low/small oil pan has nothing to do with it) as well as any deposits in the engine. It cant hurt, RIGHT??!!

·
Registered
2015 Audi S4, 2002 Honda S2000
6,726 Posts
Re: (DigiGirlFL)

The thing with SeaFom is it will clean your engine, but if there are any oil leaks it will exaggerate them even more.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Dont bother with the seafoam. Just stay on top of your oil changes. Any VW approved fully synth 5-40 will be fine.
Definitely off to a good start, CV's, brakes, major fluids, only thing else I would recommend is the spark plugs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Re: (5P4RK4)

People have diff. Opinions on seafoam I was weary about it so I ran it in my gfs focus first(hehe) and after seafoam it seem to respond quicker. Her car didn't blow up so I ran it through my passat. Smoke show was fun and ran better afterwards. Also ran it through fuel system and my injectors don't click as loud now.
As far as your system I was running 2 5 fared caps alpine type r components speakers off of a kenwood 400 watt amp 2 15 in alpine type r subs and 2 kicker 12 in l7s with 2 alpine 2700 watt digi amps off my old alpine deck with a yellow top battery. My alternator never went on me. Then I had a kid. Ha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts