VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2002 VW Passat GLX 4 Motion Wagon. Have approx 1000 miles on it and the windshield has developed a fine crack on the passenger side. The crack appeared last week when we got frost in CT. I don't see any point of impact although the dealer claims it is caused by outside influence. I think this is a manufacturing defect. Has anyone else experienced something similar. Your comments will be appreciated.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Re: Passat Windshield (Sydney)

Just follow the line unitill it leaks back to the edge and look for any pin point mark.Its usually can be felt with a pointy object and you can the pit mark..let the dealer pin point to you where the road hazzard.If your not satisfied with his opinion go to a different dealer and if he points out the same point them its going to be pretty hard since there independant from each other and they found the same point...I can install a new oem dealer windshield for for a very reasonable price,I happen to have a new one that was a double order...If interested leave me a # or E mail that I can make arrangement...Ive been installing glass for over 10 years....Victor

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Update - the cracked windshield turned out to be due to a stone afterall. I went to a different dealer today and he pointed out the slight damage to the rubber molding in the area of the crack. I am sticking with a dealer replacement given the rain sensor etc. in the windshield and also because the car is too new for me to be psychologically prepared to go to a non dealer. Thanks for your offer vce123.
Unfortunately, due to my deductible I have to bear the entire cost of replacment.

·
Registered
539 Posts

Hey Sidney,glad that you have that resolved...But to give you some FYI the dealer doesnt install glass,they might order a oem part from the parts department but they will get a outside company to install it...Make sure that they use high modulas urethane..Thats a requirement for your car,and make sure that the technician is also nga certified....I believe the w\s you have the dealer list on that is about 275.00 and to install it is about 150.00 with the correct urethane...and yes the rain sensor w\s is different...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts