VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've searched and see a lot of micro switch door problems but not sure if my problem is that or a combination of it and the latch itself.

My passenger door refuses to close reliably, it's like the door latch can't complete the operation unless you have the "perfect" door swing closing speed. It's making my wife (and thus me) go nuts basically, and she now refuses to even attempt closing it. It might take 6 try's to get the door to catch correctly. If you slam it, feels brutal, almost bounces off the catch. Best way is from the outside, small swing, oh so perfect approach. It blows my mind that the master race can't figure out how to design a door that closes for the life of a vehicle!

In conjunction with this problem, the window may or may not do it's down/up routine, so I'm guessing the door sensor switch is pooched, but will it also affect the ability for the door to close correctly? Any help is appreciated, and when the women aren't happy.............

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thank god im not the only one! Nothing worse then having to close it for everyone that gets in your car because of the risk of them slamming it:banghead: Ive tried adjusting the hook and everything and still no luck. Let me know if you figure it out!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
For what it's worth, this happened to me on my driver's side door a few days ago. Mine started working the next day after warming up a little bit, but I'm eventually going to take the door card off and remove the latch mechanism to replace the microswitch at the latch end, because it's basically shot, only working 10% of the time now.

With the door latch assembly out, you should be able to see if the problem is mechanical or electrical by turning the U-shaped piece back and forth and testing the circuits for the microswitches. Let me know if anyone needs a schema for the door's electrical circuits. It's almost Spring here in Buffalo, NY, so I'll be tearing into mine very soon.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any chance may take a few pics as you take everything apart and explain exactly how you removed and replaced the latch? Looks like I'll be doing this in my near future. BIG Thanks! :thumbup:
Sure can, I'll take some pics when I do it. I've just received the latch assembly late last week, but I won't be installing it for a few weeks now at this point as I've got some overdue maintenance on the car to take care of.

Today it goes in for a full suspension component refresh with installation of ST coilover's and adjustable rear control arms. I can't wait because I've been living with squeaks and a bouncy car for about a year and it's really putting me over the edge.

After that it's off to the body shop to rectify some minor paint issues. I'm just starting to see the first signs of peeling and rust on the inside of the wheel well lips so I want to get that fixed. My lone issue to fix after then will be that door latch!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank god im not the only one! Nothing worse then having to close it for everyone that gets in your car because of the risk of them slamming it:banghead: Ive tried adjusting the hook and everything and still no luck. Let me know if you figure it out!:thumbup:
You got that right! My wife refuses to even try closing the passenger door at this point so I really have to fix it. She is beyond frustrated, and I can't say I blame her.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I have to say I'm surprised that it's happening on the passenger's door first. My passenger's side door has no problems at all, likely because I only carry a passenger a few times a week, but I drive the car every day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.