VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
****EDIT****
You need folding mirrors to get this to work properly in the USA. This fact is not discovered until several pages into the thread.

If you don't have folding mirrors this will appear to work, but the memory function really doesn't work

Please read the whole thread before proceeding.

****Edit******

So, many people were able to get passenger side mirror dip while in reverse to work, but many were unable to get the mirror to return to the proper location after it dipped. It was speculated that this doesn't work with USA door controllers. It does, at least for cars with the lighting package and maybe for others. The problem was that the coding typically given was wrong. With a huge assist from DV52 and the Ross Tech guys, we figured out the correct coding to allow this to work.

-Go to controller 52 passenger door -Got to 07 coding, go to byte 4 -Enable bits 1 and 2. The usual instructions say to enable bits 2 and 3. Bit 3 does nothing, at least on my controller.

-Go to controller 09 central electronics -Security passcode 31347
-Go to channel 10 adaptation and change the following:
(17)-Access control 2-Spiegelabsenkung be Rueckwaertsfahrt (change to active)
(22)-Access control 2-Menuesteuerung Spiegelabsenkung (change to active)
-Reset factory settings in the vehicle and you should find the option for mirror tilt in the mirrors and wipers settings. Enable the check box.

To use this:

Turn the mirror button to R.
Put the car in Reverse.
Adjust the mirror to point down at the rear tire/curb.
Drive away and the mirror will return to normal when you get to about 10 mph.
The mirror will only dip when you put the car in Reverse if the mirror knob is still pointing at R.

If you want to test this at the curb, you can get the mirror to come back up temporarily without driving forward by turning the knob to anything other than R. This is a good way to see if the mirror is returning to the correct location, or just a random one as it will if the coding is incorrect. You can also go into advanced measuring values (thanks DV52!) and check the mirror memory boxes and it will show as mirror memory installed if you have the correct configuration.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Tested on my 2015 GTI S. No joy. Mirror would dip down AND stay there regardless of forward speed. Maybe the key is in the MEMORY seats. Does your model have the 12 Way Adjustable seats?

The original coding enabling bit 2 and 3 works ok.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Funny thing is that ive done this coding from the beginning and it has always worked for me. 5xx controller in my Golf (Bi-xenons) but I found it also works perfect in a 3xx controller (lowline) as I coded two friends cars.
I noticed afterwards that some instructions on the web (DV52!!!) refer to setting the first three bits, but most say to set bits 2 & 3. Perhaps you got the coding from DV52 (which should work for everyone).

Edit: just realized you said 2 & 3 work for you...duh

Yes mine has the autobahn seats.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I noticed afterwards that some instructions on the web (DV52!!!) refer to setting the first three bits, but most say to set bits 2 & 3. Perhaps you got the coding from DV52.

Edit: just realized you said 2 & 3 work for you...duh
I think I actually have bits 1, 2, and 3 enabled which seemed to work for the last few cars. Guess it covers all items then! Also, I am an S model Golf with Bi-xenons (2015 only sorta thing) so no memory or electric seats at all.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Completed this earlier today on my '16 GTI SwLP. It's been working perfectly. I elected to check boxes 1,2,3. So far, the return has been right where I placed it.

One thing I notice different about this car and my previous '15 GTI S w/o LP, I'm able to adjust where I want the mirror to be when I'm reversing. On the 15, it would move just down to the lowest position regardless of where i placed it and random spots on return. On the 16, I'm able to let the mirror dip and move slightly outward/inward when reversing. I don't know if it's just because I didn't select all the boxes on the 15 or what :confused:.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Completed this earlier today on my '16 GTI SwLP. It's been working perfectly. I elected to check boxes 1,2,3. So far, the return has been right where I placed it.

One thing I notice different about this car and my previous '15 GTI S w/o LP, I'm able to adjust where I want the mirror to be when I'm reversing. On the 15, it would move just down to the lowest position regardless of where i placed it and random spots on return. On the 16, I'm able to let the mirror dip and move slightly outward/inward when reversing. I don't know if it's just because I didn't select all the boxes on the 15 or what :confused:.
Possible that is the cause. Mine is a late (dec) 2015 Golf but mine works as you describe. Might have been early modules, incorrect coding, or both. At least it now works!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Can this be done for both driver and passenger mirrors?

Sent from......where am I?
It can be or, at least, in theory it can be. They will both not dip at the same time and will require turning the mirror knob to L for the drivers side to dip. Same coding though on the drivers door module.

·
Registered
463 Posts
So this would work on a stock 2016 GTI S w/o LP?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I tried again enabling 1 and 2 and also 1, 2 and 3. Certainly does not agree with my car. 2 and 3 are the ticket for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 270 Posts