VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Re: Peak Power w/ 276 or 282s and BVH? ('95MullberryVR6)

Depends on the head work that's been done but most Vrs peak in the low 6k range. The 288s make a lot more power compared to 268s above 5500.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Peak Power w/ 276 or 282s and BVH? (need_a_VR6)

any big differences between the CCH BVH and the GSB Stage III? Both run 42mm intake and 36.2mm exhaust valves but other then that are there major differences in the porting? Anyone done a flow bench comparison between the two?
Edit: Got yelled at for hitting the wrong keys. Numbers are fixed now.

Modified by '95MullberryVR6 at 5:21 PM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
642 Posts

If someone wants to send a GSB head over I'll flow it and post comparisons to a CCH 42mm.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Re: Peak Power w/ 276 or 282s and BVH? (joshuajmurray)

Quote, originally posted by joshuajmurray »
Depends on the head work that's been done but most Vrs peak in the low 6k range. The 288s make a lot more power compared to 268s above 5500.

Actually, on the last head we did on a customer's 3.1L, the 288s only made ~8whp more than the 268s, and that was only above 5300rpms (the 268s making more hp until 5300rpms). Moreover, the 268s made 20ft/lbs at the wheels more than the 288s up until about 5300rpms.

Moral of the story; 268s rock for torque across most of the usable rev range.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts

Bill,
Stock VR6 valves are sized at 34mm. Whose CCH BVH's are running 36mm exhaust valves?

PS--Yeah, if anyone has a GSB head, might as well send it directly to Collin at TT so he can flow it. We can certainly provide him with a 42mm CCH head, as he already has the numbers on the CCH 41mm IIRC.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Re: Peak Power w/ 276 or 282s and BVH? ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
Bill,
Stock VR6 valves are sized at 34mm. Whose CCH BVH's are running 36mm exhaust valves?

PS--Yeah, if anyone has a GSB head, might as well send it directly to Collin at TT so he can flow it. We can certainly provide him with a 42mm CCH head, as he already has the numbers on the CCH 41mm IIRC.

Stock 12 VR6 exhaust valves are 34.2mm.
Hope you checked with Collin first. Not sure he's going to want a bunch of GSB heads showing up for testing http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
As I said before though I'd be happy to flow a GSB head at no charge on our Supflow SF600 if anyone would like to send it over.

·
Registered
642 Posts

Quote, originally posted by need_a_VR6 »
If Collin minds he can just forward those over to the Race Shop for some track testing ..

I might have to send one of ours over too

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Re: Peak Power w/ 276 or 282s and BVH? (joshuajmurray)

Quote, originally posted by joshuajmurray »
I might have to send one of ours over too

Duh, send it on over! We have three test pigs that are willing to run 24-7, oink!
One of those certain pigs is actually headless as we speak.

Bill

·
Registered
9,868 Posts

Quote, originally posted by need_a_VR6 »
You going to have him send a transmission while he's at it

Oh yeah, forgot about that!
Nah, I was just messing around. I am content waiting for The Race Shop babies to get finished up.... any day now, any day. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Bill

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Re: Peak Power w/ 276 or 282s and BVH? (billyVR6)

Quote, originally posted by billyVR6 »

Duh, send it on over! We have three test pigs that are willing to run 24-7, oink!

Bill

uhhemm. my car looking for a head now also. the bottom end almost done, just waiting on the ring set. ill be more then happy to put up some 12 second time slips all motor with someones BVH http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
642 Posts
Re: Peak Power w/ 276 or 282s and BVH? (billyVR6)

Quote, originally posted by billyVR6 »

Bill

I better get back to work then......

·
Registered
881 Posts
Re: Peak Power w/ 276 or 282s and BVH? ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »

Actually, on the last head we did on a customer's 3.1L, the 288s only made ~8whp more than the 268s, and that was only above 5300rpms (the 268s making more hp until 5300rpms). Moreover, the 268s made 20ft/lbs at the wheels more than the 288s up until about 5300rpms.

Moral of the story; 268s rock for torque across most of the usable rev range.

Sorry to bring this thread back on-topic, but wouldn't compression ratio be a big factor in cam choice here? I'd imagine the 288's would actually work much better than 268's at higher than 10.5:1 CR's...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Re: Peak Power w/ 276 or 282s and BVH? (Kein Reis)

Quote, originally posted by Kein Reis »

Sorry to bring this thread back on-topic, but wouldn't compression ratio be a big factor in cam choice here? I'd imagine the 288's would actually work much better than 268's at higher than 10.5:1 CR's...

YES!! that's the whole reason to run big cams, so that you can run huge compression. You could most likely run higher than 10.5:1 with 288 duration too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts