VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, it's the moment you've all been waiting for. As many of you know, I've been very frustrated with all of the wheel spin that I've been having. It annoyed me so much--enough to spend a good amount of money to solve this problem. If you haven't been following this thread Limited Slip for MT, then check it out and this thread will make a little more sense.
Peloquin's Limited Slip Differential (LSD)
I bought the LSD from APTuning for $845 and paid $750 to Renner Motorsport to have this installed. Ivo at Renner Motorsport excelled with customer service and the quality of work was top notch! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I was a little hesitant at first since his labor cost was so inexpensive compared to other shops. One of the main reasons, though was because everything was done in house. Some places need to ship the transmission elsewhere for the actual installation of the LSD. Seriously, if anyone wants this done that lives in Southern California then talk to Ivo and he will definitely take care of you.
I didn't realize what needed to be done in order to put this thing in, but I now know that it's a bunch of work! The transmission needs to be dropped and completely out of the car. Once the tranny is opened, it then needs to be taken to a drill press since VW used rivets to hold the stock open diff on to the tranny. The rivets need to be drilled twice to get all of the metal out. Once this is done, everything needs to be cleaned (all of the metal shavings, dirt, etc). Now the LSD can be installed with the supplied bolt kit, put the tranny back together, add fluid, and reverse the order.
Here is a pic of the VW open diff. You can still see the metal shavings from drilling the rivets:

Some asked "Why spend so much money on this car?"
This has got to be one of the best decisions I have ever made made with this car. VW was out of their minds by not including this as an option! I have sooo much more control with the LSD than without. It doesn't matter what I do or how I drive.
I accelerated from a stop light the other day and passed over a couple bumps. In the past, my tires would have hopped, spun, and in order to stop the spinning I would have had to lift off the throttle.
Well this time, my tires just stuck! I felt the bumps but also felt my car still increasing speed. No hopping, no spinning--just acceleration!
The same goes for rounding corners--The traction that I have now is unbelievable! The wheel spin is virtually gone.
I will say though that I still get some wheel spin if I floor it in first. Most of the time this happens is when the road surface is smoother than most.
If anyone out there is mainly concerned about performance, this modification is a no brainer. To me, it is ridiculous to keep adding power when most of it is getting wasted by wheel spin. I'll be going to the strip in a couple weeks to see how much this helps in a straight line. I'm sure I'll get some wheel spin in 1st, but I'll guarantee that the wheel spin in 2nd will be gone.

Now, since my tranny was already out, I thought I'd install a lighterweight flywheel and stronger clutch as well. The review of the SPEC Flywheel/Stage 2 Clutch is here.
Modified by M3toGLI at 2:28 PM 11-21-2006

Modified by M3toGLI at 11:20 AM 2-22-2007

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (magilson)

Quote, originally posted by magilson »
wow, so I'm completely jealous. How long did the install take them?

It took 2 days. I dropped the car off early and picked it up 2 days later in the morning.

Oh, for everyone out there, I forgot to put in the initial statement--please don't ask the question, "Will this void my warranty?" Think real hard about it; you can figure it out.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (unitedgti)

Quote, originally posted by unitedgti »
wow does this work with the dsg.?.. I am going to guess no and would this void my warrenty?
j/k

They're working on coming out with one for DSG, but they don't have one yet.

·
Registered
23,422 Posts
Re: *Peloquin's Limited Slip Differential Installed* (M3toGLI)

Here is a
for your courage and for being the first (or one of the first?). Sounds like your mechanics know what they are doing, too.
Here a quick question: do you notice any binding or awkward steering feedback at low speeds and tight curves (U-turns, pulling in/out of driveways, low-speed 90 degrees turns, etc.)?
Independent of the binding that can be an issue on some LSDs, I am wondering how the steering assist of the MkV handles it. My guess would be that it should do a great job, but you never know until you have tried and tested it.
Last thing, do you have a feel for that without a clutch upgrade, it would be really easy to burn the stock clutch with the additional traction?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've taken my stock gti to autocross and the 2.5 mile road course a couple times now. Within no time at all it was apparent to me that if the mk5 could use any single in improvement, it would have to be an LSD. Without a doubt nothing - from more power to a better suspension - would improve the performance of this car as much as an LSD.
I'm just waiting for my warranty to expire. Just 24,000 miles to go!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Re:

I haven't done this to my GTI (yet), but I remember when I got a quaife for my Corrado. Of all the things I have done to that car that is the single best investment/modification. It really is a night and day difference, and you will definitely feel it at the track or at an autocross.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: *Peloquin's Limited Slip Differential Installed* (feels_road)

Quote, originally posted by feels_road »
Here is a
for your courage and for being the first (or one of the first?). Sounds like your mechanics know what they are doing, too.
Here a quick question: do you notice any binding or awkward steering feedback at low speeds and tight curves (U-turns, pulling in/out of driveways, low-speed 90 degrees turns, etc.)?
Independent of the binding that can be an issue on some LSDs, I am wondering how the steering assist of the MkV handles it. My guess would be that it should do a great job, but you never know until you have tried and tested it.
Last thing, do you have a feel for that without a clutch upgrade, it would be really easy to burn the stock clutch with the additional traction?

Thanks for the props! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
To answer your questions, The only thing that I notice right away is the steering being tighter. But, the tightness only comes when I'm pushing it. Reversing out of my driveway or just driving normal feels the same.
I think the perfect way to describe the difference of feeling is rounding corners.
Before when I would accelerate around a corner my steering wheel felt a bit sloppy. This would make sense since the inner wheel would be spinning freely and the steering wheel would be much easier to turn.
Now when I round a corner the steering wheel feels tight and controled no matter how hard I push it becuase now the traction is keeping my steering wheel in check.
The same goes for accelerating in a straight line. Once the peg leg starts to spin the steering wheel is loose. But now, once any wheel startes to spin, you can feel the LSD take control by feeling it in the steering wheel.
Here's the bottom line:
I knew that the LSD would give me better traction, but I didn't realize how much more control it gave me as a driver.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: *Peloquin's Limited Slip Differential Installed* (feels_road)

Quote, originally posted by feels_road »

I just saw this in your post...
This is the reason why I chose to upgrade my clutch because I fealt exactly what you said. I was worried that if I increased my traction then there would be more wear and tear on the OEM clutch, This is why I chose to go with a SPEC stage 2 clutch and single mass flywheel.
I'm sure that an LSD with a stock clutch and flywheel would work just fine, but I didn't want to risk it, especially when the tranny is already out of the car. There was no additional cost in labor to get the SPEC unit put in.
Just in case someone missed it in my inital post you can read about that here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2937610

·
Registered
280 Posts
Re: *Peloquin's Limited Slip Differential Installed* (M3toGLI)

Ive been following this the whole time - and I am very glad that you confirmed the improvement I expected.
I talked to the guys from APR who told me the Quafie LSD in their car is doing a damn good job of holding down its 300+ whp - so I am not suprised that you are noticing a marked improvement.
Just one correction - the differential in the car is not actually "open" its just a one-way. Youll notice if you ever get a car with a stock dif up int he air and spin a font wheel - the other one spins in the same direction. With an open differential they spin in opposite directions.
Congrats again - and Ill be following suit in the spring

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: *Peloquin's Limited Slip Differential Installed* (ZenDriver)

Quote, originally posted by ZenDriver »

Just one correction - the differential in the car is not actually "open" its just a one-way. Youll notice if you ever get a car with a stock dif up int he air and spin a font wheel - the other one spins in the same direction. With an open differential they spin in opposite directions.

You're right! I was actually calling it "open" the whole time, but it really isn't an "open" diff. I assumed most people new what an open diff was so I used the term. I discovered this for myself as well when I had the car on jack stands. Both wheels did spin in the same direction.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: *Peloquin's Limited Slip Differential Installed* (Mash3)

Quote, originally posted by Mash3 »
Congrats, Craig! That's awesome! Let me know when you go back to LACR.
I got my Jetta, btw...
Greg

Hey Greg
I left you a voice mail.
Give me a call.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.