VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
vr6 and 1.8t have diff amp alternators, so please state what you have..
just wondering for those of you with large subs/amp systems, if you guys have changed your alternators out?
im worried my car is goign to be dying frequently. any experiences?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Re: people with large sound systems (nfj-bronfufu)

A lot depends on how you use your system! If you like to rattle your mirrors and windows with outrages amounts of amplification, the stock alternator may not be sufficient. I have an '01 Jetta GLX with the OEM 120A alternator and I'm running one JL 1000/1 to my two 10" subs, and a 450/4 to my components. I also upgraded my battery to ground cable but have not had a problem yet with either the alternator failing or being able to keep up with the system.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have two 12" Diamond Audio subs in my 1.8t jetta(2001). with a fosgate 1200/4 amp and when i really push it i notice the lights at night dim a little... Mine does rattle mirrors and windows... I havent had any problems though with it not starting. It is all really how you use your system

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: (Turbo Zeh)

I have a 15" MMats Juggernaut and a MMats 3000W amp and I have not yet changed my alternator however I will be very shortly. Depending on your amp you may need to in order to get the maximum performance out your system. Also in order to not have to be replacing your battery every couple months depending on what type of battery you have. Most stock batteries can only recharge themselves after a full draw so many times. If i repeated anything the people before me said sorry I just didn't have time to read what they wrote...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Re: people with large sound systems (nfj-bronfufu)

fak, my alternator just failed on the way to chicago

Iam getting one made for me...150A... Iam not getting stuck again... i was wondering when my audio would do in the alternator...now i know...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: people with large sound systems (Kei78)

Upgrade your wiring and put in another battery. Running 1500w unregulated and have no problems.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Re: people with large sound systems (ssssly)

Quote, originally posted by ssssly »
Upgrade your wiring and put in another battery. Running 1500w unregulated and have no problems.

I did both of what you suggested last year when i had my system installed (Two yellow tops)...Iam running just under 1700w and my alternator just took a dump yesterday on a road trip

·
Registered
275 Posts
im running 2 12" RF woofers, with around 600W into each. best thing you can do for your system even before upgrading your alternator is putting in an optima yellowtop battery.
you'll notice a huge difference in your system's quality.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
When i had my 93 CAravan, i had a MTX 3202 amp with two audiobahns 450watt rms each.
When i cranked it, omg people looked from blocks away, and i also fryed my alternator within a week. I pushed my car to pepboys, litterally.
Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Re: (Trich1237)

I unfortunately am still on the 90amp alternator and will be doing at least the 120amp alternator upgrade just to be on the safe side. In the 3 1/2 years I've had my car I have had no issues with the alternator whatsoever, even after I drained my battery running my system without turning on the engine.
As for the one who mentioned the dimming headlights, look into getting a capacitor. I had that problem installed a 1 farad capacitor and lived with it for awhile even though it didn't solve the problem. I got lucky and got a great deal ($125) on an Audiobahn 12 farad capacitor and have had no problem with the "dancing lights" since it was installed. The 12 farad is overkill for what I have; 2 12" Oz Audio subs powered by an MTX 1501D amp, Kicker KS 6.2 components in the doors, 4 band equalizer, and a Panasonic head unit w/7" lcd display, but at least I know I can grow into it in the future.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
i have an Alpine Type X 12" with a 100 watts rms going to it, my alternator has been fine, however i do still get light dim with a capacitor

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: people with large sound systems (Kei78)

Quote, originally posted by Kei78 »
I did both of what you suggested last year when i had my system installed (Two yellow tops)...Iam running just under 1700w and my alternator just took a dump yesterday on a road trip

what size alternator?
how hot was it outside?
what condition was your belt in?
hot weather and loose belts will toast an alternator pretty quick

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Re: people with large sound systems (ssssly)

Quote, originally posted by ssssly »

what size alternator?
how hot was it outside?
what condition was your belt in?
hot weather and loose belts will toast an alternator pretty quick

I have the 90amp alternator...i guess i should say what else i have in the car...i have my carpc...thats running 200w, and two other game consoles...and ya, this past friday it was dammnnnn hot outside...but i knew i was stressing this little alternator... it just sucked it died on me on the way to the show

·
Registered
891 Posts
im running 1 2600 watt performance into to pioneer premiers havent had any problems yet im sure i eventually will but ill upgrade the altenator soon cuz i plan on getting another 2600 watt amp and upgrading to 2 5000 watt pioneer premeirs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts