VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,053 Posts
Re: People without cats (8v-inside)

got mine gutted and put a pipe in it...loud as hell, but then again, i also have the middle resonator off...its pipe straight back to a dual dtm muffler...performance, not much, if any...problems, well, you can hear backfiring quite a bit, but that could also be b/c of how old my engine is...i shoot flames though, which is cool...but not a good thing at times...i love it though...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Re: People without cats (timmybgood)

yeah, i had the same result before i put in a high performance cat. You need the back pressure. Its true though, people told me that they could see flames come out of my exhaust at night when I would shift at high revs.
I just couldn't take the smell. In traffic it was like having the exhaust of a snow blower in my face http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: People without cats (Need2Turbo)

quote:[HR][/HR]a good loud? or a rice loud?
Gary...did I not tell you just to go with the Y-Pipe.....Damn Boy.....
[HR][/HR]​
Tom... i dont know if the Y-pipe will fit right but i really want it! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: People without cats (vwgroundzero)

quote:[HR][/HR]got mine gutted and put a pipe in it...loud as hell, but then again, i also have the middle resonator off...its pipe straight back to a dual dtm muffler...performance, not much, if any...problems, well, you can hear backfiring quite a bit, but that could also be b/c of how old my engine is...i shoot flames though, which is cool...but not a good thing at times...i love it though...[HR][/HR]​
That is sweet...Dover, NJ you say???? Pass through there all the time

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

8v, I have the TT downpipe with enlarged primaries and is full length (read no cat). I felt a jump in power and it is only a bit louder.
Backpressure is a funny thing. When I did this, I had a crack on the back cap of my muffler right under the exit pipe and the baffles inside were jingling around. My seat of the pants impression was that the car slowed down when I got my new replacement muffler from TT. Same muffler as before, maybe it needed time to(for lack of a better term) break-in or marinate? Anyways, the thing that caused the biggest noise increase was my short ratio tranny on the hi-way, it buzzes around 4k at 80, + or -.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]got mine gutted and put a pipe in it...loud as hell, but then again, i also have the middle resonator off...its pipe straight back to a dual dtm muffler...performance, not much, if any...problems, well, you can hear backfiring quite a bit, but that could also be b/c of how old my engine is...i shoot flames though, which is cool...but not a good thing at times...i love it though...
That is sweet...Dover, NJ you say???? Pass through there all the time
[HR][/HR]​
Do you also swing through Roxbury?

[Modified by Pagano, 10:56 PM 4-25-2002]

·
Banned
3,053 Posts
Re: People without cats (8v-inside)

i pass through roxbury all the time, sometimes chester. im mainly in ledgewood and rockaway. i dont know if backpressure is really needed on my 8v since i didnt notice any loss in power. ricey loud? NO, definately not. once its warmed up, its sweet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.