VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What you guys think about this setup for a performance street upgrade...
Futrell Autowerks Rotors

EBC Green Brakes

I am considering the black anodized rotors and the green ebc pads!!

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Re: Performance Brake Upgrade Questions?? (HawaiianGetta)

too small

but green stuff is good stuff http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
100 Posts

Quote, originally posted by HawaiianGetta »
What you guys think about this setup for a performance street upgrade...
Futrell Autowerks Rotors

EBC Green Brakes

I am considering the black anodized rotors and the green ebc pads!!

I would have gone with the Brembo slotted and dimpled with Mintex red box brake pads. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif But those are good http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Also, you are getting SS brake lines too, ya
Glad to see you did not go with drilled, they have been known to crack

·
Registered
8,271 Posts

looks like my ebc brakes to me... i like them... the pads work good.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Re: Performance Brake Upgrade Questions?? (2KGTI-t)

I've used EBC Greens and Ate slotted rotors, the work fine for street, low dust and pretty good cold stopping, but with hard use the EBCs will fade pretty fast.
I have since switched to Mintex red box pads with Ate slotted rotors, and have have had good results. The Mintexes feel about the same on the street and hold up much better to track day abuse (slight fading), but the tradeoff is more dust.

Modified by quickbrick at 6:47 AM 2-19-2004

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Performance Brake Upgrade Questions?? (quickbrick)

ok what about ECS Tuning OEM rotors cross drilled/slotted

and what brake pads for hard street use that don't fade very quick!!??

·
Registered
5,109 Posts

I had the ATE slotted rotors on my last car, a 1990 Golf with ABA conversion, and really like the rotors. They definitely improved the braking but were MUCH cheaper than other brands like Brembo. I used Mintex pads at that time but been looking at the EBC green for my current MkIV. I think the one thing you have to think about is what are you gonna be using your car for? The harder you are gonna work your brakes, the better the components should be. Shop around as there are quite a few different options available. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Re: Performance Brake Upgrade Questions?? (DJKeebler)

The thing that most overlook when doing brake upgrades is tires.
Your contact patch is what translates the braking force to the ground.
As stated earlier; analyze your needs. If you are 'outdriving' your brakes currently, then upgrades are warranted. However, if your current brakes are adequate, it will be wasteful to modify something that performs well enough already.
Another key factor that some overlook is the first initial stop in the morning. That is when your brakes are coldest and if you live on a hill or a place where that first stop matters, you want a pad that heats up quick.
Using pads that are designed for higher temps (ie. race pads) are not good for street purposes. The reason is that cars on the track maintain heat due to constant lapping and braking. On the street, pads often have time to cool off. Therefore, a pad designed for higher temps would not get to the proper operating temp to be fully effective. Also, brake dust and noise are important on street cars and not so on a race car.
That said, I've had good experiences with PBR Metalmaster pads and OEM rotors. I know newer type pads are probably better, but when I did my brakes this is what worked.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Well, Mintex pads/Zimmermans rotors seem to work good, gtiracerguy has them on his car, he likes em. What I meant was EBCs worked decently for me on the street, but on the track, trying to stop a 3000+ lb. car very quicky didn't work to well, the brakes faded after a handful of laps. I put PBRs and Powerslots on my mom's car, she seems to like them (she is very hard on brakes, and we live on a hill so 1st stops are very important). I would prefer to stay away from cross drilled rotors that are actually drilled, those are the ones that usually crack. Zimmerman and Brembo are the only ones I know of that cast in the "cross drilled" holes, making them less likely to crack.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote, originally posted by HawaiianGetta »
Futrell Autowerks Rotors

well guys, looks like i'm going to go with these rotors and Mintex Red Box pads!!

now black or silver?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts