VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as my 99.5 2.0 Jetta has been falling apart ive been having a hard time deciding on what will be my new VW. GLI, GTI, or TDI. I love the GLI/GTI but with the insane prices of gas, and the fact that they use premium the TDI has started to catch my attention.
I work with alot of diesel engines in the military so I know the benefits, but 100hp sounds a little lacking. How is the performance on the TDI as compared to the 2.0 of the mk4. I know it has alot of torque but is this thing slow like some have described it or is it sufficient enough? Enlighten me

· Registered
50 Posts
Re: Performance of a TDI? (pork)

My guess is that with DSG the TDI is 0-60 in about 10 seconds. That sounds slow but the funny thing is it felt better to me than a 2.5. It isn't fast so it isn't fun to drive from that standpoint, but like all Jettas it is fun to drive because it handles well. And because the power feels more linear than the 2.5, the engine doesn't get in the way of the fun - it just doesn't add to it like the GLI.
Of course, the steering and suspension unique to the GLI produce smiles as well. But if fuel economy is a bigger concern for you than an enthusiast driving experience, I can recommend the TDI even though I splurged on the GLI.

· Registered
302 Posts

I can't speak from years of experience with VWs, but I can say this...
I've always driven v8 Mustangs since I've had a license. Some have been modified, but I usually leave my daily drivers stock for reliability. After going from my 96 GT to my TDI (just last Thursday), I felt a difference for sure. At first it was like "wow, this thing is weak." However after a day or so I realized I can accelerate just as fast as the GT could in daily driving settings. I don't drive like a nut so it was just a matter of getting used to it. I can pass on the highway in 5th gear with no probs and can merge onto the highway without having to redline the thing also.
Overall, I'm VERY happy with my purchase decision. We'll see how happy I am next month when I pay my first EVER car payment (always owned my cars but finally wanted something nice).
I don't think you'll be disappointed unless you hotrod around the streets a lot. Then, who knows compared to your current car or the newer 2.0s, etc.

· Registered
288 Posts

I drove my G35 sedan like a madman on Interstate 95 in congested so florida. Let me say, I DON'T MISS IT! I will probably live longer also. I have doubled (more than doubled) my fuel economy. I am very comfortable, love the way it feels etc. I also have the 134 HP TDI Passat and that is nice also although it feels heavier than the Jetta. As a daily driver, the TDI is great. 0-60 may be slow, but 50 -70 isn't. And 0 -30 isn't etc. Lots of torque.
Fun daily driver, buy one!

· Registered
5,387 Posts
Re: Performance of a TDI? (tdisedanman)

One thing about the TDI that has to be recognized, all out acceleration may be slow (as in 0-60 or 1/4 mile) but their in-gear acceleration (say from 50-70, etc) is very fast and faster than most other cars on the road. Put a chip in it, and there's very few cars that can actually keep up. Trust me, everyday driving, you won't miss a gasser car!

· Registered
12 Posts
I went from driving my heavily modified Saab 900 Turbo everyday to my TDI, and it is not much of a noticeable drop off in normal driving situations. You're not going to win any drag races, but it has more than enough power for normal driving. I'm not disappointed at all. The economy is more than enough of a trade-off for the performance.

· Banned
314 Posts

dude for a diesel that tdi is FAST. Remember torque has a direct relation to horsepower so if you mod it and it has 300 ft. lbs. of torque and only 170hp that is a fast ass car! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
go here for ideas
http://www.tdiclub.com
Check out the forums. There are some people with about 180 whp and only have a chip and injectors and a hi flow fuel pump. They get tons of torque and their fuel mileage actually increases a little too!

Modified by schnellmitklasse at 9:45 PM 9-8-2005

· Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
1,701 Posts
Re: Performance of a TDI? (mrmarclv)

Quote, originally posted by mrmarclv »
My guess is that with DSG the TDI is 0-60 in about 10 seconds.

11.5 seconds for the TDI, 9-9.5 seconds in the 2.5, 7ish seconds in the GLI

· Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
1,701 Posts
Re: Performance of a TDI? (Pelican18TQA4)

Quote, originally posted by Pelican18TQA4 »
One thing about the TDI that has to be recognized, all out acceleration may be slow (as in 0-60 or 1/4 mile) but their in-gear acceleration (say from 50-70, etc) is very fast and faster than most other cars on the road.

Not in the U.S. models. The gearing is too tall.
Oh, the hype. The TDI has the slowest top gear pass of any of the VW lineup. and in fact even the lowly 2.0 MKIV was almost a second quicker from 50-70 than the TDI in top gear. The 1.8T was almost 3 seconds faster.

Modified by rsbaker at 10:36 AM 9-9-2005

· Registered
253 Posts
all about torque...with a better diesel quality the car is going to be faster,we will see the super diesel comming soon emission regulation 2007 is mandatory....the cleaner diesel is going to bump up the performance (just like europeen diesel) 5-10% increase of performance!!!!

· Registered
7,462 Posts
Re: (GoFaster)

Quote, originally posted by GoFaster »
Suggestion - Forget the numbers. Just drive it, and decide for yourself whether it's enough - keeping in mind that more power is a chip away.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif The power delivery is so different from any gasoline car, with tons of torque available down low but horsepower that runs out relatively low in the RPM range, that it needs to be driven.
That said, I traded a 150hp Jetta 1.8T for my Golf TDI, and I have never missed the Jetta's power. In most circumstances the Golf feels as fast or faster. In fact my friend borrowed my Golf for a long trip recently (to save fuel) and I drove her Passat 1.8T, and it felt decidedly slower than my Golf. Of course one car is bigger & heaver than the other, but the TDI really does put all the power right where you need it.

· Registered
10,750 Posts
Re: Performance of a TDI? (rsbaker)

Quote, originally posted by rsbaker »

Not in the U.S. models. The gearing is too tall.
Oh, the hype. The TDI has the slowest top gear pass of any of the VW lineup. and in fact even the lowly 2.0 MKIV was almost a second quicker from 50-70 than the TDI in top gear. The 1.8T was almost 3 seconds faster.

Modified by rsbaker at 10:36 AM 9-9-2005

Mine does 100km/h at 2000rpm in 5th. What does a Jetta V TDI do?

· Registered
288 Posts
Re: Performance of a TDI? (rsbaker)

A second! Wow, ya gotta figure it takes more than a second to sneeze. So, who cares about one or even two seconds. Just my feelings. Howmany of us really need that 0 - 60 oomph? Nice for kids, but lets figure on repair prices, tire prices and fuel prices. I'd rather have the TDI and...I DO!

· Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
1,701 Posts
Re: Performance of a TDI? (tdisedanman)

Quote, originally posted by tdisedanman »
A second! Wow, ya gotta figure it takes more than a second to sneeze. So, who cares about one or even two seconds. Just my feelings.

Sure, but to listen people claim how "fast" it is in a top gear pass when it's actually the slowest of the bunch is something that needs to be addressed.

· Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
1,701 Posts
Re: Performance of a TDI? (scuk)

Quote, originally posted by scuk »
Mine does 100km/h at 2000rpm in 5th. What does a Jetta V TDI do?

I should have been more specific and said that the gearing is too tall for the torque to produce fast acceleration in the top gears.
The Euro diesels have similar gearing, but also have torque figures approaching 300 lb-ft (versus 155-177 in the U.S. models depending on year). That's almost twice as much, meaning very fast in-gear acceleration in those cars.

· Registered
4,177 Posts
Ill add my two cents on the TDI
I had a 00 TDI Beetle... and yes it is fun... for like the first 2 seconds after take-off... it feels like a rocket... but then the corolla flys past you and youre left with your tail between your legs

Its all about the savings $$$ man.

· Registered
10,750 Posts
Re: (CrssEyedNSmilin)

Quote, originally posted by CrssEyedNSmilin »
Ill add my two cents on the TDI
I had a 00 TDI Beetle... and yes it is fun... for like the first 2 seconds after take-off... it feels like a rocket... but then the corolla flys past you and youre left with your tail between your legs

Its all about the savings $$$ man.

Just wanna put things into perspective:
I had a Seat Toledo 110Hp non-PD TDI which I had chipped to about 140hp and 300nm. I once held the distance to a Opel Signum 2L Turbo 170Hp that caught up on me from 100km/h to 180km/h. Got his http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif as we eased up before the toll-boot.
A MK V Jetta with a chip should be just as quick, if not quicker.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.