VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought about posting this in the wheel and tire forum but I think a more regional point of view would be better. As only a NE'er can appreciate the mix of weather we get.
I'm wondering what everyone in the NE area runs for snow tires. Do you guys run a winter performance tire like a dunlop winter sport m2 / blizzak LM 25/22's or pure studless ice/snow tires like dunlop graspic / blizzak WS-50.
I live in Boston but work out in the burbs and do a fair amount of driving up in NH/VT. I'll probably be running 15" steelies because I'm cheap

Really appreciate the input.
Thanks,
Nathaniel

· Registered
4,766 Posts
Re: Performance or Studless Snow Winter Tires (Bob Opla)

I'm running Nokian WR's (winter rated all season tire) on the Audi. Yes I could have gotten a lot more agressive in tires but here is my reasoning: How often during winter are you driving on snow or ice? Most of the time when it snows the plows are down to pavement the next day. I guess that maybe 20% of the time during winter I am actually driving on snow, the rest is wet pavement or dry road. Some of the "ice" tires feel like the sidewall is folding over when turning on dry pavement. If I were to get a more agressive tire I would lean more to the snow performance type of tire than an ice tire.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Performance or Studless Snow Winter Tires (Harold)

Well, I think I will driving on snow/ice quite a bit this year.
The lot where I park my car has a 30 yard down a hill with a sharp right and then more down hilll. The lot is supposed to shoveled out but chances are I'm going to be going to work before they get to it. Right now I can't even get up the little hill to get out with just the 2-3 inches we have. I'm just sliding right back on the stock mxm4s. So I need something that will help me get out of the lot. I do drive quite a bit on highways that are normally in good shape so I'm thinking a sutdless tire would wear pretty quickly on me.

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Re: Performance or Studless Snow Winter Tires (v13)

I have 17" Bridgewtone Blizzak WS-50. I used to have Dunlop M2 on my Audi A4 and they were pretty good in the snow, but only so-so on ice. So for this car I preferred to have peace of mind when the icy roads hit Boston. So far, they have been good. I had the Blizzaks on for the end of last winter and they were fine. I commute 50 miles round trip to work, almost exclusively highway and I took a few trips up to Vermont. Yes, they are a little noisy and are not super solid on dry pavement, but I don't drive very aggresively anyways and prefer the awesome snow/ice traction during winter over dry traction.

· Registered
4,139 Posts
Re: Performance or Studless Snow Winter Tires (cchen1)

Also have the Blizzak WS-50's, figured I won't be driving aggressively with snow and ice on the road. They were supposed to go on today, but looks like I'm a day late

· Registered
4,954 Posts
Re: Performance or Studless Snow Winter Tires (kharma)

Hankook 404 snow tires. But if it warms up and is going to stay that way for a while, I will throw the Falkens back on. The advantages of having two sets of rims and tires. Takes all of 15-20 minutes.

· Registered
3,471 Posts
Re: Performance or Studless Snow Winter Tires (Cyclopath)

i just tossed on my nokians today. there studed too which makes for a great amount of fun
, but then again i got em pretty cheap so i cant complain

· Registered
1,413 Posts
Re: Performance or Studless Snow Winter Tires (coop)

Blizzak's are not the only snow tires out their. I think most people buy them cuz the name is recognized so well.
I have dedicated snow tires. Nokian Hakkapelita II. They are pretty agressive. you can get them with or without stud. I chose without stud.
Side streets are often not plowed or plowed poorly. with these tires my jetta has no problems at all even when their is about half foot of un plowed snow. And they stick to the road pretty well when its dry also. Well worth it. Call Maynard and Leiseur (sp?) in Nashua NH. They were like 100 bucks cheaper then the other guys around me.
$400 installed stemmed and balanced. i dont recomend these as all seasons.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Re: Performance or Studless Snow Winter Tires (Bob Opla)

Quote, originally posted by Bob Opla »
dunlop graspic ds-1

i just picked up a set of DS-2's.. sweet deal from Tirerack http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
30,150 Posts
Re: Performance or Studless Snow Winter Tires (v13)

My wife has the WS-50, and she thinks they are GREAT. In fact, she even said that she felt she was driving too fast in the snow on a twisty road because the worked so well, and she had to slow down.
I just bought the Winter Sport M3 for my car. The do look nice in the garage ...

I went with them, hoping to get longer treadwear, as I drive more than she does. However, my wife's tires look brand new after one season.
You said you work in the suburbs. If you want to see both tires in person before you decide, just let me know. I'm in Marlborough, right near the Sudbury line and very close to Rt. 20.
They were both bought at tirerack.com.
Dis you see this, too ... http://www.ronalusa.com/?

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Re: Performance or Studless Snow Winter Tires (Harold)

Quote, originally posted by Harold »
I'm running Nokian WR's (winter rated all season tire) on the Audi. Yes I could have gotten a lot more agressive in tires but here is my reasoning: How often during winter are you driving on snow or ice? Most of the time when it snows the plows are down to pavement the next day. I guess that maybe 20% of the time during winter I am actually driving on snow, the rest is wet pavement or dry road. Some of the "ice" tires feel like the sidewall is folding over when turning on dry pavement. If I were to get a more agressive tire I would lean more to the snow performance type of tire than an ice tire.

I too am running the WRs for the same reason. Great traction in the wet and dry and can't wait to test the snow. I like the sound of them when I accelerate
You can hear the rubber, compared to my summers. Just gotta remember that these are softer = spin easy at fast launch.
I think for our area up here the Performance are a better deal than Studless Snows. I was told I would get about 4 seasons if I drive right with these and use only as a winter tire as opposed to 2 seasons with most studless snow tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.