VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade the handling on our wagon, and I figure the best place to start is the tires (which are due for replacement anyway)
So I need some recommendations or people with first-hand experience. Here's what I'm looking for:
Car - 2000 Saab 9-5 Wagon (not Aero)
size - 215/55/16
Weather type: 3-season or summer tires (I already have Blizzaks)
My criteria (in order of importance):
1. CHEAP!! - under $100 per tire, prefer $80
2. Good performance in wet and dry
3. Good treadlife
From Tirerack's Decision guide, I'm basically looking at
- Dunlop FM901
- Kumho Ecsta 712 / 711
- Continental ExtremeContact
- Firestone Firehawk GTA
- Dunlop Sport A2
- Yoko Avid's
Or is there anything else? (Toyo's, Hankook's, Falken's etc)
Also, should I be concerned about the load rating? My manual mentions nothing of it.
Any / all suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
Ed

Modified by CDNGolfer at 8:42 AM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Re: Performance tires on a budget?? (CDNGolfer)

Quote, originally posted by CDNGolfer »
I'm looking to upgrade the handling on our wagon, and I figure the best place to start is the tires (which are due for replacement anyway)
So I need some recommendations or people with first-hand experience. Here's what I'm looking for:
Car - 2000 Saab 9-5 Wagon (not Aero)
size - 215/55/16
Weather type: 3-season or summer tires (I already have Blizzaks)
My criteria (in order of importance):
1. CHEAP!! - under $100 per tire, prefer $80
2. Good performance in wet and dry
3. Good treadlife
From Tirerack's Decision guide, I'm basically looking at
- Dunlop FM901
- Kumho Ecsta 712 / 711
- Continental ExtremeContact
- Firestone Firehawk GTA
- Dunlop Sport A2
- Yoko Avid's
Or is there anything else? (Toyo's, Hankook's, Falken's etc)
Also, should I be concerned about the load rating? My manual mentions nothing of it.
Any / all suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
Ed

Modified by CDNGolfer at 8:42 AM 2-14-2004

Excellent choice! as tires are one of the most critical components on your vehicle w.r.t. safety and performance.
I have friends running (the previously mentioned) Kuhmos and Yokos who are very pleased with the price/performance! Unless you're looking to really push the car I would stay with the OEM sizing and would also recommend an H-rating at minimum regardless of what brand/style you purchase

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

When going to higher performance tires which tend to be "stickier" for road adhesion, you will push the OEM springs/dampers to their limits. In other words, the better tires will allow you to grip better on curves at higher speeds than you could formerly, and the result is more body lean.....thus the need for susp upgrades. If you're going to "push" the car more, susp is necessary....if not, I'm not so sure hi-perf tires are all that necessary unless looking for something, say, with better wet road handling, etc. If very significant road handling improvement is not so important on your wagon, H-rated tires are great. That's what came std on my previous Jetta with the OEM spt susp pkg.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Performance tires on a budget?? (Sheep)

Hmm... interesting point.
Well, one day I will upgrade the suspension (possibly to the Aero set-up), but I'm waiting for the OEM's to wear out first.
I'm not looking to upgrade for racing / autoX purposes. It's just for the occasional spirited drive. I had the Yoko Avid H4's on my Golf 1.8T and was happy with them. I'd go with them again, but wanted to see if there was something that's better suited a much larger and heavier wagon.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts

Falken Ziex 512 : <$100/tire - excellent value. very good all around performer in dry & wet, & even light snow. W or Z speed rated http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif , and nice & quiet.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Performance tires on a budget?? (98scvr6)

Quote, originally posted by 98scvr6 »
yoko avs es 100's.

Great suggestion, but these are not available in my size. And they're a bit pricier than what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
234 Posts

oh, didnt see the size. I'd rock the avid's then. any yoko's are a good choice in my opinion.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Re: Performance tires on a budget?? (98scvr6)

If you R talking US money, you can get either Ventus or Ecsta for the size ( US$80 ), if Canadian, then I dunno....
For ~US$100 you can get AVID H4, Proxes FZ4, Ziex ZE-512, FM901, ExtremeContact.
Check this site out: http://www.tiretrends.com

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Performance tires on a budget?? (#nine)

Quote, originally posted by #nine »
If you R talking US money,

Yes, I'm talking US funds - I figured there's more Americans reading this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts