VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know what is best for my project car .. as a base I mean.
If you have pictures to persuade me, all the better. I am having such a dilemma..
A2Carat

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: Persuasion - I or II (A2Carat)

hmmm... Well I answered MKII because I feel that the engine bay is much more accomodating than an MKI bay. Also once you hit the 90 models you really open yourself up because of CE2.
But really the ultimate car is what your wallet can afford and what your ultimate goal is. I was a die hard A2 GTi fan till I meet my A1 GTI. The rabbit has been nothing but a blessing to me.
Jason

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Re: Persuasion - I or II (vdubspeed)

alright the flame suit is on... sorry there are not many MK1 jetta's i like... but there are a few, but only a few so far...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Re: Persuasion - I or II (vdubCorrado)

as far as a project car goes, i've worked on both the mkI and mkII chassis...and the mkII is much friendlier, more common, and much better designed.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Persuasion - I or II (hella)

I will only be using the shell of the car. I fuel system and everything will be traded for a stand alone system.
I am looking for a light, strong, accomodating, and practical car.
Weight distribution is not a problem for me. And I plan on some extensive work to the car to make the project work.
I love the timelessness of the Mk1, but I like the wider stance of the Mk2. I only can have one car and there are so many things I like separately about each.
Here are a few pictures that have sparked this dilemma.
( I realize some are coupes .. I am looking at style)

If the owners of these cars want me to remove the images, PM me. Otherwise, thanks for the great pictures!
There are many more beautiful MK1+2's out there .. but this is what I have at the moment.
A2Carat

·
Registered
6,631 Posts

all red Xs.
i had sort of the same dilemma, but for me it was the need for a practical car for getting to work, etc... and i had it narrowed down to golf diesel... either mk1 or mk2.
i went with mk1 for a few reasons.
- the 'timelessness', as you put it, of the mk1 body
- i don't particularily like the bodies mk2, mk3, and mk4 golf (mk5 http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif )
- a little bit lighter
- far more rare than mk2 which is a big http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for me - i don't like driving what everyone else is driving
- the one i found is a rust free southern car.. so from a mechanical standpoint, its very similar condition to a mk2 at this point, or better, its no problem it wrench on like a lot of disintegrating mk1s
if you're going for an all-out track car i would say mk2 from a budget standpoint... simply because parts are so much easier to come by (for instance... a typical junkyard visit for me i see out in the lot mk1: 1 or 2, mk2: about 15, mk3: about 3)
as for wide stance... get wider offset tires for the mk1 and it can be wider than a mk2 if you want... all that matters in the rubber, i'd imagine a wider body would only hurt handling vs. a slimmer body... more condensed centre of gravity, if only by a couple inches.
have fun

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Re: Persuasion - I or II (itchyG60)

I own a mk1 and a mk2.
The Mk1 parts are much easier to come by for less $$$. MHO is that you can do more for you buck with a mk1.
On the other hand a mk2 is going to be more comfortable, and you have a couple more motor options.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Re: Persuasion - I or II (EurospecA2)

Quote, originally posted by EurospecA2 »
I own a mk1 and a mk2.
The Mk1 parts are much easier to come by for less $$$. MHO is that you can do more for you buck with a mk1.

same here...i also own both an A1 and A2....but the difference is finding parts for my A1 is anything but easy. in fact i would say that i spend more time scrounging around for A1 parts in good condition than actually working on the project
. however this might just be a regional thing but nevertheless A1 parts are becoming very hard to come by.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Re: Persuasion - I or II (VWbohica)

Quote, originally posted by VWbohica »

same here...i also own both an A1 and A2....but the difference is finding parts for my A1 is anything but easy. in fact i would say that i spend more time scrounging around for A1 parts in good condition than actually working on the project
. however this might just be a regional thing but nevertheless A1 parts are becoming very hard to come by.

Not that I doubt you, but I've gotten almost all my parts right here at VWVortex. The mk1 Classified has been a excelent resource for good use aftermarket parts.
If you look at my extensive list of mods at the link in my Sig. about 80% of them come from other Vortex users that are selling, or parting out their stuff.
Grand total on my project is about $2800 which includes $900 for the Jetta itself! My most expensive part is the Autotech Supercharger. With out that piece I'm well below the $2000 mark for a very well preforming 8v Jetta.
I could have never done all the suspension mods, Exhaust, and supercharging on my Mk2 for under $3000. (I paid more for the car than $3000, and it needed an exhaust out of the gate.)
Plus the Mk1's are just plain "cooler." Everyone knows the Mk2 Jetta bodystyle, but I get a lot of "What is that," when driving the Mk1 Jetta.
But again, after driving the Mk1 for a week it is a welcome feeling getting back in my Mk2's recarro seats, and having the feeling of being a little more solid and the dash / switches being more optically pleasing. (This comes at the expense of added weight, and softness though.)
In all truth, I will be selling the Mk2 for an Audi A4 or Mk4 Jetta GLI in the spring. I figure if it's going to be comfortable....well you get the picture.
Again, all JMHO.

Modified by EurospecA2 at 6:43 AM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Persuasion - I or II (VWbohica)

Thank you everyone for your insights and experiences.
(the pictures are coming from ImageStation.. sorry)
The only thing I will be using from the Mk I or II would be the body/chassis system. Unibody, right? Everything else will be stripped out and newer/better things thrown in. The interior will be completely different. I am not concerned about a 'rattly' interior because I am not keeping the stock one.

The strength of both the Mk I and II frames are equal? I don't want to finish my project and then find that the power twisted the frame. I am looking at about 400bhp. It's going to be a street car for everyday use and an occasional track day. You might think 400bhp is way too much, but I want something really nice and hold some respect for VW's. I don't do street racing, but it is nice to have a good handful of power to get through traffic. I have been driving my Carat (106hp) for some time. It is really nice, but I need more power.

It's going to be my lifetime car. That is why I want to build it perfectly so everything is 'new'.
Hmm, maybe I am rambling, but I hope you guys understand what I mean.

Did the pictures work for anyone?
Thanks for all your cooperation..
A2Carat

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: Persuasion - I or II (EurospecA2)

nice car corey. i like, and i like that you did it with that budget http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,631 Posts

Quote, originally posted by A2Carat »
The strength of both the Mk I and II frames are equal? I don't want to finish my project and then find that the power twisted the frame. I am looking at about 400bhp. It's going to be a street car for everyday use and an occasional track day. You might think 400bhp is way too much, but I want something really nice and hold some respect for VW's. I don't do street racing, but it is nice to have a good handful of power to get through traffic. I have been driving my Carat (106hp) for some time. It is really nice, but I need more power.

It's going to be my lifetime car. That is why I want to build it perfectly so everything is 'new'.
Hmm, maybe I am rambling, but I hope you guys understand what I mean.

Did the pictures work for anyone?
Thanks for all your cooperation..
A2Carat

400hp in a mk1 will twist the frame. you'll need to do some reinforcing, seam welding, etc. i've never ventured into this territory myself, maybe someone else can chime in with more info.
if this is your lifetime car... i wouldn't even consider a mk2 if it was me. too abundant... ive seen so many of them that they don't really catch my eye unless modified, and even then... ehn. the mk1s that catch my eye are the ones that are stock and mint. that's what i would go for..

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote, originally posted by itchyG60 »

400hp in a mk1 will twist the frame. you'll need to do some reinforcing, seam welding, etc. i've never ventured into this territory myself, maybe someone else can chime in with more info.
if this is your lifetime car... i wouldn't even consider a mk2 if it was me. too abundant... ive seen so many of them that they don't really catch my eye unless modified, and even then... ehn. the mk1s that catch my eye are the ones that are stock and mint. that's what i would go for..

Yes, I plan to do extensive work to the frame. Seam welding and adding reinforcements strategically so that they strengthen the frame and not get in the way for passengers and such.
I think I am leaning towards the Mark I. I ran this poll in the Mk 2 forum as well, and all I got are silly animations of different things. I like this forum because there are actual enthusiasts here. (Not to bash the good people in the Mk2 forum) .. anyway
When I see the Mk1 driving by, it really catches my attention. The European modded ones are so classy looking, and 84Notch's just floods me with inspiration.
I think I will head into the MKI picture thread now.
Thanks all you guys!
Keep on voting!
A2Carat

·
Registered
6,631 Posts

nice. i'm glad we were able to sway you over to our side

i'm right with you on the 'actual enthusiasts' comment. i've only had my mk1 for 2 months now but this is the forum i find myself frequenting more than any other. there are a great bunch of guys here.
for all you hardcore mk1 guys lending a hand.
sounds like you're going to make the right choice

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

It'll be more extensive work, but I think that, in the end, I will appreciate the car more.
By the way, would you use a 'space frame' for the engine compartment if you needed to reinforce the compartment because of a larger engine install? Or would you use a stronger cross member and proper bracing?
A2Carat

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

Quote, originally posted by itchyG60 »

i'm right with you on the 'actual enthusiasts' comment. i've only had my mk1 for 2 months now but this is the forum i find myself frequenting more than any other. there are a great bunch of guys here.

and GIRLS!!!!...this is a great forum...
and good luck with your project, i'm looking forward to seeing it unfold...keep us updated

peace, kelly

·
Registered
22,718 Posts

i said a1 in the mk2 forum and i'll say it again here, a1's are more go-kartish. and i will say that 400hp is excessive, they are light enough that alot less then that will make them scoot very nicely.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Persuasion - I or II (The_Hamster)

Normal driving around and all will see around 250hp. But, I am going to have it with a bleeder so I can up the boost when I need it. Manual, or maybe from the interior. I am thinking electronically controller, but I have a little thing about so many computers controlling every aspect of the car I am driving.
Flyby wire? Yuck .. not for me. Now they want the brakes controlled electronically .. yikes!
Anyway .. thanks for the great comments!
When I am finished with the project, the car will be a little heavier than it came stock, so the power to weight ratio will even out a little more concerning the added power.
A2Carat
BTW - did the pictures show?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts