VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys...
I have pretty much determined that my next car will be either: Audi A6 2.7t OR used S4 OR A4...BUT...

There is one car that occupies my thoughts. I can picture one, black, lowered about 1.5 inches...with some BBS RC's on it. Get ready...
A caddilac CTS 5-speed.
I know, I know..but every magazine is saying this thing can match or beat a BMW 5 series around the nurburgring. Stiffness, control, ride, all tuned to be VERY german. There is something cool about knowing that an american car has FINALLY matched the germans.
And, well, the looks. I need to see one in person, but I am actaully LIKING the oragami/weird look of it, because it looks like NOTHING else on the road, but kinda like something outta batman.
The good news is that I have 2 years to worry about it..LOL...because 1) My jetta wont be paid off til then and 2) It will take that long for me to graduate college and get a REAL job to afford one and 3) the two 2.7T Audis above, will most likely have to be used anyway.
I dunno ,guys, am I just weird? I feel all, dirty, for wanting this american car so badly...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Perveted Thoughts... (JoeO)

Hmm, I am pretty much all about an Audi..BUT, just seeing if they deserve a chance...at least an american company is TRYING this time. I mean, from the research I did, they let the GM Europe people handle most of this one.
The Styling, well, it DOES look like the front of one of GM's trucks, the Cadillac Escalade. The reason is that all cadilacs from now on will bear this new design theme, first seen on their Evoq show car a few years back. I am actaully really rather impresed with it, because its different.
I will actaully have ample opportunity to compare, as the local cadillac dealer, Moritz, also sells BMW's right next door.

As far as the bumper falling off...I am not so sure about that either. The germans and japanese have proven that american auto workers can build high-quality cars if given the right training and tools and designs...again, GM of Europe to the resucue, as they handled the entire project in germany. I am not baggin on Audi at all...just saying that its nice to have a semi-homegrown alternative finally.

Oh and someone wanted pics.....well, here
http://www.2003cts.com/cts_picture_02.htm
Oh, and here is some stuff motor trend thought about this thing...
http://www.motortrend.com/aug01/cts/cts_f.html

ANyway, I kinda like the thing...and, if some of you photoshop guys could do me a favor, I kinda wanna see it in black, with some 18' BBS RC's on it...hehe
thanks...just trying to be a little open minded...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Re: Perveted Thoughts... (audiness)

yah i gotta agree on the front end...im digging the roof line though...too bad gm wont bring over an opel...it'd probably make more sense if gm just rebadged one of their opels as a caddy (since they're already racing vs. TT's & clk's in DTM)...the car kinda fits with the evolv concept a few years back

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: Perveted Thoughts... (JettaGTguy)

quote:[HR][/HR]ANyway, I kinda like the thing...and, if some of you photoshop guys could do me a favor, I kinda wanna see it in black, with some 18' BBS RC's on it...hehe
thanks...just trying to be a little open minded...
[HR][/HR]​
I'm not going to bother with the BBS wheels, but here's a reasonable fascimile of it in black for you
http://www.brayarch.com/~bretts/cts_01.jpg

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Re: Perveted Thoughts... (JoeFriday)

Wow is that thing ugly! Why would anybody under the age of 60 seriously consider a Cadillac?!? Just goes to show with a few press releases and drop in a mention of nurgburgring you could sell a car to a blind man. My question is, if this car is as good as the 3 series/A4/C-class, and it costs equal money, you should just buy one of the BMWs/Audis/MBs. It's kind of like VWs Passat D1, it'll compete with the E-class and cost E-class money. I would probably buy an E-class before a VW at the same price point. And don't forget about the Catera, the CTS ad campaign is a rehash of the campaign used to launch the Catera. Except they canned that animated bird and the whole "Caddy that zigs" thing. And don't forget, you'll have almost no resale value vs. a Bimmer or MB. But hey, someone's got to buy American cars. I've done my part, I bought a Toyota Sequoia (made in IN).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Perveted Thoughts... (S4inSoFla)

LOL...
I guess the styling is a love it or leave it sort of thing.
1) Its NOT just press releases, I tried to find the actual articles from the test drives, from car and driver, automobile, and road and track...BUT, could not find any but that little snippet from Motor Trend. They were actually long articles like they do for every vehicle intro...where they flog the things, and report back, just like the gushed all about our beloved new 02' A4.
2)I am 21, will be 23 when I buy my next car, and I am SERIOUSLY considering this CTS. a) its very different looking b)if it DOES in fact walk the BMW walk, then I am game and c) I will lease cars pretty much indefinitly, so I will never see any of the diminished resale value that is, sadly associated with american cars.
3)Actually, the much-hated Catera WAS a rebadged Opel, the Omega to be exact. It was a failure, mainly because Cadillac has had no cohesive approach to its cars. It was TOO close to the original car, but softened too much for american backsides. There IS a car, however, that is the SAME car, that is also a rebadged Omega, that will hand a BMW M5 its a$$, the Holden Commodore VX. Try a catera with 18's, retuned suspension, and a corvette engine stuffed in the front end. I am proving a point that GM DOES have, in its vast global network of companies and subsidiaries, what it takes to compete. Its a matter of putting it together. I think it is in the September issues of C & D, R&T, and automobile, their new car issues, when they talked about the CTS.
4)again, since NO ONE has been able to, or WANTED to find an in-depth artcle on it...if you go to http://www.2003cts.com and read a little, you will find that a getrag 5-speed is standard equipment, and their new 5-speed auto is an option. That's right, a cadillac with an enthusaists manual.
5) GM is a global company, the platform upon which the CTS is based their "sigma" chassis, was developed, again, by GM europe (opel, might as well say) for usage in their own designs, as well as GM of America.
6)I would also argue, that, in terms of fairness, Cadillac deserves thier chance to get it right be and judged on merit (and perhaps styling ballsiness..LOL) alone. Why? Well, VW and Audi BOTH contemplated pulling out of the american market just a decade ago, NOW look at them...they have all of OUR money, dont they? Why? They put their noses to the grindstone, and busted their butts to FINALLY build the best car the COULD, not just what the bean counters thought was best. That got them no where. First good thing, MK3 VW's and intro of VR6 engine in 92-93, followed by release of Audi A4 in 95, and then, of course, the rest are history...hehe.
In truth, if the CTS lives up to what everyone is saying about it after having driven it for DAYS, then its gonna be tough between an A4 and a CTS. (that photoshop in black is SCHWEET!!!) A resonably priced 2.7T, however, would end all debate..LOL. Why tough for an A4? Well, I live in texas, so AWD is not that important to me, other than for handling purposes, and the CTS is about the size of a BMW 5-SERIES, but priced like the 3-series or the A4, so, a little more car.
Again, just being very objective...getting all the facts..and seeing what my fellow VW/Audi fanatics would think...LOL..thanks guys (esPECIALLY the photoshop guy!!!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Perveted Thoughts... (bac)

quote:[HR][/HR]Why would you doubt a company who brought us such classics as the Cimeron and the Catera?
[HR][/HR]​
EXTRA EXTRA!
This just in, GM cancels production on Cadillac CTS TV spot b/c of a technical error:
See below
Image: Cadillac Catera sitting in the dimly lit BatCave on the turn table.
Off Screen "OnStar" voice: "Batman your car is ready"
Motion: Batman swoops down, jumps in the car and starts it up.
Surprise: Batman peels off his mask and it's really Alfred! Gives a big thumbs up, hammers the gas, tries to chirp 2nd gear...sychros crunch...transmission slips...silence.
Computer immediately intercedes, GM engineers program car to revert to traditional Caddy Luxo-Barge mode, permanently.
Error code message flashes on the instrument cluster: IF YOUR INTENTION WAS TO DRIVE SPIRITEDLY, PLEASE PURCHASE A CORVETTE.
THANK YOU.
-GM Engineering Staff.

[Modified by heist, 11:24 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
184 Posts
Re: Perveted Thoughts... (heist)

Funny stuff heist!
I wouldn't drop a dime on a manual caddy. Furthermore at your age you should consider buying a used car and getting twice the value. You will thank me for it when you want to go on that sufing trip to Costa Rica in the future. My dads caddy drives me crazy with its weight and soft soft soft suspension. 220hp pushing 3500 pounds? Get real! I dream for the S4 version of my car and yes the quattro helps even in dry conditions. You ever corner so hard you swear your tires left the ground? Ever done a 360 by accident?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.