VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 phaeton is eating tires. I am runing Goodyear Eagle F1 All season and they are feathering and have eaten the tred on the inside almost down to the cords whle the outside still has plenty of tred. My VW dealership says the aligment is in spec. I have asked them if they can adjust the Camber but they say it is factory set. The dealership says it is due to Goodyear tires.... The F1 is a unidirectional tire which "may" be a problem. Has anyone elese had similar tire ware issues with their Phaeton?:mad:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a set of those F1 Good Years and they are the worse tire I have ever owned. They did not wear well, became super noisy and the road noise compared to that of an 18 wheeler.

I have had a lot of problems with the wear on my tires with my Phaeton. I think it is finally resolved, but it took all the front suspension bushings replacement and a couple of alignments to get it there.

Get rid of those F1's, they are terrible tires.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Yep, my fronts wear on both edges. I took it in today for the 70k service and asked them to do the free alignment they promised on the coupon that came through my door. Mine is both inside and outside edge though, so I don't think alignment's going to help, I have them over-inflated which seems to have improved things somewhat.

·
Registered
606 Posts
H Casezoo1,

What is the load rating on your tires? If they are less than 101 (103 preferably), then that is likely the source of your problem. I suggest you read the thread (click link below), as found in the table of contents, which contains a great deal of discussion and information about tires being "eaten" and becoming "feathered" or "chopped" and the reason almost always turns out to be that the tires are of inadequate load rating. The question of the safety of running such tires is also discussed and debated:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3219881

Regards,
Ron M.

·
Registered
606 Posts
What size wheels do you have, and are they aftermarket?

Assuming they are 17" or 18" OEM, then I can then only wonder about alignment or manufacture issues :confused:

How many miles do you have on them?

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Mine are 18, with a 103 load rating. There are a bunch of people who've posted about wear on the outer edges of the front tyres. Inside edge only sounds like a camber issue though. I'd take a look at the bushings on the sway bar links, it's a cheap and easy place to start.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i have also had front inside tread wear, told it was the alignment. but it has happened moe than once, to nexen n300 directional tires. personally i don't believe the tires should cause the problem.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
I just had a call from the dealer, he said my alignment is off but declined to say by how much, although that didn't stop him insisting that this was the cause of the tyre wear. I'm sure the $350 charge he's asking for the 4 hour alignment job is nothing to do with his conclusion! The current tyres are very nearly shot (I think they have about 17k on them), and it's far too hot to change the second sway bar link, so I decided to hold off on the alignment until I can change the link and put new tyres on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had goodyear f1 assymetrico. after just less then 25000km the rubber was done.
my tire dealer told me that the car is just too heavy for this generally soft tire compound, even though that the tire was 101li (V8 LWB full option).
he, further explained that a heavy car, with large engine and even more worse an air suspension is a real stress test for any tire. if you set the car permanently in comfort just emphazises this situation.

a hard compound is not as comfortable but sustains longer, better performance, more secure and less noise.
Bridgestone and Michelin are pretty hard tires. I had good experiance with Potenza.
Now swapped to S001 from B. Very quite, excellent performance tire, but hard as hell.
I heard that Pirelli P Zeros are also excellent Phaeton tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.