VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have instructions for replacing the alternator and drive belt on a 2011 Phaeton 3.0d UK RHD please?

The car carried on running and driving, with no unusual noises, but the power steering suddenly stopped working - at which point I noticed that the battery light was on and the voltage gauge was showing 12v rather than the usual 14v. No other warning lights. Oil and water temperature normal. After driving a few hundred meters to park safely, I switched off the engine and opened the bonnet to discover the drive belt shredded. It looked fine before - but I have no idea when it was last replaced, if ever (113k miles and full non-dealer service history)

Error codes “02252 Generator 003 mechanical failure” and “02252 Generator 012 electrical fault in circuit” in VCDS.

I’m wondering if the belt has failed on its own or if the alternator (or alternator clutch?) has seized and led to the belt damage? I didn’t notice if the battery light was on before the power steering suddenly stopped working. But a few minutes before, I noticed a burning smell - I was in stationary traffic and I didn’t think it was coming from my car, but with hindsight, that could have been the belt on the alternator pulley perhaps?

I’m waiting for the engine to cool before I can take a proper look.....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi Paul,

If you follow this link it should give you a diagram of the way the alternator and belt are fixed to your engine.

https://7zap.com/en/catalog/cars/Volkswagen/brand/20/0/Phaeton/Phaeton%20(2011%20-%202016)/Volkswagen/UVp6eVdJZWkyWmhyOXJXWnhyRmlmUT09--/6bbffde8b5b8077d2d0a5796da6eea3c:1abc32c064b34dd0b44f8568be66ef51/manufacturer/9/291903600::903050

I experienced an auxiliary belt failure on my 3.2 VR6 about 6 months ago and that was due to failure of my AC pump, which had seized and shredded the belt. I was driving on the motorway and got several faults at once - my steering went heavy, the car told me it was beginning to overheat and that there was an alternator failure. I can't remember the exact wording but it would be different between our cars as mine has a totally different 2003 computer system.

Although I have a totally different engine to you, I would investigate your AC pump before ordering any other parts; they're apparently a common failure point on VAG cars generally.

Hope this helps

Callum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Robbie - thank you - it’s very helpful to know how you did yours.

Thanks Callum - I found what was left of the idler pulley in the under tray. The bearing has failed. It’s item 9 in the diagram at the link you sent - the part number stamped on mine is 059903341G

All the other pulleys seem fine - nice and free with no noticeable play - and the componemts driven by the belt are all free and easy to turn, with bearings that feel nice and smooth.

I will get a belt and pulley ordered and have a bash at replacing them ASAP!

Thanks

Paul.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses on this

I carefully cleaned all the steel pulleys, checked that all the driven components are smooth and free, and I replaced the belt and all the plastic pulleys, including the complete tensioner.

I removed the undertray and the various inter cooler pipes and gubbins in between the engine and the fan enclosure to enable access. I worked out that I didn’t need to remove the rather impossible clips from the ‘Y’ piece, rather I disconnected the pipes at each side and removed them all together.

Overall an easy job, but it takes a little time to dismantle and rebuild all the bits.

Paul.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.