VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/0...oesnt/

Quote »
At least as far back as March 2007, we were reporting that Volkswagen might bring back their range-topping and bank-draining Phaeton sedan to the States. Back then, it was the company's CEO Martin Winterkorn predicting the car's return to America, but in more recent times, we haven't heard much news about the luxury liner. Then spyshots of a re-designed 2011 Phaeton emerged in June of this year, but we speculated there was zero chance of the much-maligned model being sold here.
Of course, Stefan Jacoby, president and CEO of Volkswagen of America had to prove us wrong by telling The Detroit News that yes, there will again be Phaetons sold on American VW dealers' lots. He doesn't get specific about when the luxury sedan will return (or even if it will be anything like the model American consumers already shunned), but he does say it will indeed be the range's high-end flagship once again.
Jacoby also lays out the brand's U.S. strategy to pretty much have something to offer in every category save perhaps amphibious vehicles. He admits additions to the German carmaker's U.S. lineup could include a Polo-sized car below the Jetta, a compact SUV to be produced next to a new midsize sedan in Chattanooga, which will be topped by another new midsize sedan "like the Avalon for Toyota."

So where the **** is my Scirocco if they can make a business case for this?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Re: Phaeton to return to US. (MidnightSpecial)

Quote, originally posted by MidnightSpecial »

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,418 Posts

So... VW is gonna make like OJ and take another stab at it?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Re: Phaeton to return to US. (ReflexJettaVR6)

take out 2dr GTIs, leaving only 4dr GTIs or Sciroccos?
I wonder if it has anything to do with hyundai's success with the genesis and them bringing over their equus.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,093 Posts

Still not a bad idea in concept, but I'm looking forward to learning about the specifics of this updated phaeton. And I wonder what information was used to convince VW to re-introduce the car in the US? More questions than answers from me at this point.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Re: Phaeton to return to US. (6cylVWguy)

I see the odd one running around Waterloo and every time I see it I think it's a damn sharp car. Who knows if they'll sell any, but I like them.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Re: Phaeton to return to US. (mac dre)

Quote, originally posted by mac dre »
*rebadged audi a8*

i highly doubt that the new Phaeton will have the the Audi Space Frame....

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,497 Posts
Re: Phaeton to return to US. (29_MALE_SOCAL_SPICY)

Quote, originally posted by 29_MALE_SOCAL_SPICY »

i highly doubt that the new Phaeton will have the the Audi Space Frame....

True. It will be based on the current Audi A6.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
a slightly bigger version of the passat..as the OP said, if they have a case to bring over the phaeton, why not bring over the Scirocco? I say if they can't bring over both why not bring over the one that'll generate more sales? Phaeton failed over here once, so why not spend the money on something newer and better looking and that more people could afford? **** you voa

·
Registered
2,813 Posts

xtwelvetyfive on the scirocco question

·
Premium Member
11,751 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MidnightSpecial »

I'm in complete agreement, although...
If they sell 15 Sciroccos, or 15 Phaetons, which does VW make more on?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I guess you can't fault VW for trying once, and failing. But again? Especially when they have so many vehicles/ideas people actually want?
(See Scirocco, Polo, Microbus et al...)

·
Registered
24,098 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by PassSedanGLX »
What could possibly go wrong?

Jack could buy one and have it painted green?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Re: Phaeton to return to US. (mac dre)

Quote, originally posted by mac dre »
*rebadged audi a8*

Not quite. The Phaeton doesn't sport the A8's al-yoo-mini-um unibody and body panels.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Re: (cjb)

Quote, originally posted by cjb »
I guess you can't fault VW for trying once, and failing. But again? Especially when they have so many vehicles/ideas people actually want?
(See Scirocco, Polo, Microbus et al...)

I think is a good idea to get a chunk of the Full size sedan market.. why not price accordingly and put it against the Taurus, the 300, or even the charger, Impalas, etc.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by cougar »

Jack could buy one and have it painted green?

excuse my ignorance, but does Jack = Viergang Fuchs?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts