VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE I HAD TO PIRATE THESE PICS FROM OTHER DIY'S BECAUSE I COULDNT FIND MY OLD PICS AND BECASUE THE SITE HOSTING THE PICS IS NO LONGER OPERATIONAL, I am getting 30days off before my next school, I will redue this DIY completely in July when I instal the pnoise in my 07 GLI.
First of all thanks to 4string who inspired me with his IPOD install and for two supplied pics because I forgot to take them.
First for all of you asking what a Phatnoise is. It is a mass storage device, it can read all known audio formats, and uses voice prompts to navigate throught your music choices. You can create folders to organize your music (press #2 on radio to access music this way), music can also be sorted bt genre (use #3 on radio) and music is also sorted by artist (use #4).
Tools needed: Torx T-15 screw driver, credit card, beer, and patience.
Parts needed: Phatnoise with MKIV harness, instalation kit part# 000 051 324B, and 1J0 051 445 D.
First take off this trim

Then use the cc OR VW tool to remove the vent.

Unplug wire from temp sensor from vent
http://images.snapfish.com/346474%3A99%7Ffp344%3Enu%3D3239%3E6%3A4%3E846%3EWSNRCG%3D323356%3A784549nu0mrj[img]
remove the piece under the vent (thanks 4string) you will need to unscrew it first with a T-15
[IMG]http://images.snapfish.com/346474%3A99%7Ffp33%3A%3Enu%3D3239%3E6%3A4%3E846%3EWSNRCG%3D323356%3A77%3B758nu0mrj
Now unscrew the 2 screws using a torx screw driver

Now the hard part, you just need to lift up on it, it is a pain, use some M-A-N, but not too much. Trust me it will come out.

Finaly

Next remove these 4 screws and remove the trim. Be gentle on the trim you do not want to break the clips.

Now you can access the radio screws and remove the radio. The radio will pull right out.

Once the radio is out you will have access to the harness. You are going to want to take out the blue one, and then the black one inside of the blue.

Make sure to ground the brown wire, you'll know what I mean when you have the harness, attatch to the big nut and bolt under the passenger kick panel. It is under the kick panel in the foot well Remove it and attatch it to the other grounds (brown wires)

The onlything not shown is the wire being ran from the trunk to the radio, it is easy just run the wire from the trunk to the pasenger compartment by using the hole next to the rear seat latch. Then just tuck the wire under the trim and run it up under the sail panels. to the dash, then the radio.
The harness adapter that is used to plug the wire harness from the pnoise to the radio plugs into the radio using the identical blue plug that the SAT radio uses. Now if you dont have SAT or you do not want it you can just plug the adapter in and be done. If you want to keep the SAT you will need to combine the two black harnesses. This is easy just take the pins out from one and put them into the coresponding holes in the other. No two wires occupy the same pin. Assemble in reverse and I recomend getting your radio VAG Com or scanned by a dealership to activate the CD changer controls. It will work if you don't, it just gets confused somethimes.
How to code it:
Select Vehicle Self Diagnosis
56-radio
07- code control unit
in location 1 enter 2 for cd changer
press q
exit

Finished product

Modified by USMC_LT at 4:53 PM 6-9-2007

Modified by USMC_LT at 4:57 PM 6-9-2007

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Re: Phatnoise DIY (B18flip)

Stupid question: is one of the part numbers listed in the first post a cable that connects from the radio to the Pnoise cable? Also, where di you run your cables? In the other thread I believe you said you have the Pnoise mounted in the trunk area of your GTI, correct?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Re: Phatnoise DIY (USMC_LT)

Quote, originally posted by USMC_LT »

Parts needed: Phatnoise with MKIV harness, instalation kit part# 000 051 324B, and 1J0 051 445 D.

Allthough I have most of the tools needed, I lack the biggest one - Patience. If you feel like coming to NY, and performing this nice install, it would be much appriciated

·
Registered
3,818 Posts

Okay that just answered alot of my questions from the previous thread http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Someone sticky this or add to faq at least

·
Registered
3,888 Posts

Quote, originally posted by USMC_LT »

Is the installation kit necessary, or is that just or mounting in the trunk? The reason I ask is that my dealer's parts dept. tells me it's about $100. The adapter is about $30. I'm inclined to mount mine somewhere in the spare wheel well, so I'd just as soon not spend $100 for the install kit.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Re: (USMC_LT)

Ordered the install kit today, should have all parts in some time next week. In the meantime, I'm reconsidering my placement, and thinking of taking the Pnoise "guts" out of the aluminum housing and mounting it in the pocket on the side of the trunk space in my GTI. I hate giving up what little space I have back there for luggage, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks for the excellent writeup!!! I installed mine this past Friday, and it works. I recoded the radio to recognize the changer, but I'm having a small issue and I was wondering if anyone else who tried the install is having the same problem.
I've created a playlist for each album on the Phatnoise. With the other VWs/Audis I had it installed in, I could browse by artist to find the artist I wanted by hitting 4 and waiting until the music started. Once I had the artist, I would hit 2 to browse by playlist for that artist, and I could switch to the album I wanted by the selected artist. This doesn't work anymore. I'm taken to playlist 1 every time. I'm wondering if it is the radio letter I've chosen in setup. I tried with A, F, G and H with no luck.
Anyone else seeing something similar?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.