VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who commute on 95 -- it's currently closed indefinitely from Girard all the way down to the Betsy Ross. Article here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/h....html
The pic of the failed pillar in that article is pretty eye-opening -- it really looks like it's about to come down. The road surface of 95 is not too bad compared to many highways I've seen, so I was surprised to see the supports are in such poor condition. Maybe if the DOT didn't waste money resurfacing the Schuylkill that wasn't even bumpy, they would be able to fix life-threatening stuff like this.
-Andrew L

· Registered
2,045 Posts
Re: Philly closes elevated 95 due to collapsing pillar (leaftye)

Quote, originally posted by leaftye »

Damn, some funny pictures come up if you google for "duct tape".

LOL I <3 the internet
thats crazy though, i never noticed this pillar. guess its good they closed it before it collapsed or anything.

· I could've been a contender.
36,399 Posts
Re: Philly closes elevated 95 due to collapsing pillar (Tetzuoe)

wow
!!!
rush hour is going to be a freaking nightmare

thank god i don't drive that anymore
bill

· Registered
7,785 Posts
I had to drive to Baltmore today, and this came over the radio as I passed Philly, I was terrified of my drive back tonight.
Thankfully this isn't the NJTP portion of I-95, no traffic northbound.
Southbound looked horrible though.

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Re: Philly closes elevated 95 due to collapsing pillar (AZGolf)

I take that road to go home and back to school all the time. I was on it Sunday and was going to be on it Thursday. Its going to be a bitch finding a new route now but at least they closed it down.
Whats really scary is the amount of traffic congestion that occurs on the road on a daily basis. If that thing would of gone down it would of taken a lot of cars with it.

· Registered
1,946 Posts
Re: Philly closes elevated 95 due to collapsing pillar (leaftye)

Quote, originally posted by leaftye »

Damn, some funny pictures come up if you google for "duct tape".

wow you weren't kidding

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Re: Philly closes elevated 95 due to collapsing pillar (BrianGriffin)

Quote, originally posted by BrianGriffin »

Wow, I can't believe my picture comes up when you google duct tape! Cool! I was just experimenting with a Halloween costume idea but I ended up wearing that on Christmas.

· Registered
14,825 Posts
Re: Philly closes elevated 95 due to collapsing pillar (rimtrim)

Yeah. I don't drive much. I go down to center city once every few months.

Today I had to pick something up in the Northeast and bring it down to Center City.
Today was the day that I-95 was closed. Why me?
I drove down route 1, and there was a goddamned overturned dumptruck there. How does one overturn a dump truck? I shoulda taken a train.

· Registered
39,385 Posts
Re: Philly closes elevated 95 due to collapsing pillar (PassSedanGLX)

Ok, convert it to a toll road and make the tolls pay for the repairs and maintenance. Areas that cost more to maintain really need to step it up and start paying their own way.

· Registered
2,979 Posts
Re: Philly closes elevated 95 due to collapsing pillar (PassSedanGLX)

That must be for the entire section, which is scheduled to be completed later this year:
Quote, originally posted by Philly.com »
Repairing the column may cost as much as a quarter million dollars, Taoso said.

This really sucks as I travel that section of 95 almost every day. I took 611 today to avoid it and made decent time, but I hate all the traffic lights. Plus, parts of Broad Street up in North Philly can get kind of nasty. I had someone throw a half eaten apple at my car today.

· Registered
8,581 Posts
Re: Philly closes elevated 95 due to collapsing pillar (mackie421)

Traffic on google maps isn't showing me where this is.. can someone map it for me? I do better with visuals and I need to head into Philly tomorrow. thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.