VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks a little wimpy now, Im curious as what it could look like with mud tires and roof rack etc.
Use either one of these or if you have a better picture go ahead.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
great idea! would love to see some results....it seems biggest tire you could fit is a 28.5" and really thin...like 235 at most...let me check...235-70-15 might fit but i dont know brake size...but at 28" seem like a small wheel opening....

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
23,039 Posts
This thread raises an excellent point: Manufacturers are racking in huge profits with their off road packages right now such as Trailhawk/TRD Off-Road trims or examples like the new Explorer Timberline. I would love to see this kind of packaging on VW SUV's. In fact VW has shown this very sort of thing at SEMA, shame they never followed up with actual production packages.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I guess this depends on your definition of "true off roader"

mud tires and roof rack etc.
That's kind of overlanding lite. While that make it go off road, it's not running the Rubicon, or competing in King of the Hammers or the Baja 1000. Take a recip saw to that bumper, add some frame rails and dual SAS and you might have something. While this thing is stuck with a weak AWD system and no low range, it's just a tall hatchback.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Fixed even more (Lada Niva). :rolleyes:

🍺

·
Premium Member
3 MQB hatchbacks and some Fords.
850 Posts
Reactions: Stromaluski

·
Premium Member
12,949 Posts
Even if it had A/T tires, does it have at least make the Haldex clutch lock-up to mimic a center diff? Between the haldex and DSG, this thing is screaming for overheating clutches at any hint of off-roading on slippery terrain. Obviously it's never going to be rock crawler, but e I see it struggling on and kind of extended loose dirt, and especially in any mud.

/debbiedowner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts