VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pick two cars introduced the same year - one of which has aged well and one of which has aged poorly in terms of styling.

It's a matter of opinion - no flaming!

For example:

1996:

Audi A4 - has aged well

Mercury Sable - has aged badly

Edit: Comparisons shouldn't be too outrageous (i.e. no Ferraris to Cavaliers), but should ideally be cars that could have theoretically been considered by the same buyer (i.e. someone looking at Audi A4s could have also looked at a fully loaded Sable - like the one in the picture - as a "budget" alternative).

·
Registered
2018 Tiguan, 2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
3,779 Posts
Well

Bad

I'm still thinking...

·
Registered
2018 Tiguan, 2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
3,779 Posts

I used to be in love with these cars when they came out..now they bore the hell out of me, and I've gotten tired of that look..

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
:thumbup:

lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
OP should add a limitation on the class and price. Comparing $40K+ performance vehicles to $20K beigemobiles is... well... unfitting.

·
Premium Member
'02 Golf, '66 Vespa
8,295 Posts
And now for a rare TCL pro-American styling based post.

1953 Corvette, modern and flashy:

1953 MG TF Midget, fit for the early thirties:

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
40,372 Posts
OP should add a limitation on the class and price. Comparing $40K+ performance vehicles to $20K beigemobiles is... well... unfitting.
Exactly.

The Probe and the 240 were introduced for the 1989 model year. Pop up headlights and a whole lot of glass behind the B pillar.

The Thunderbird on the other hand, still looks fresh to me. The lines and design language have aged well.

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
Though conservative has aged well, when not ghetto'ed out

Looks crappy ,though I cant say I ever liked that generation stanza in USA guise

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
subjective rating is subjective - what does 'aged well' even mean????

this thread defines bandwidth waste (and yeah, i know that i didnt have to click)

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
First of hundreds that pops into my mind:

1953 Studebaker:

1953 Dodge:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The amazing thing about this pair is that the basic shape of the 928 was originally introduced already in 1978.
Yeah but it's always took other manufacturers decades to catch up with Porsche. Look at what Porsche was doing with the 928 back then. Brake pad wear sensors, ABS, tire pressure monitoring systems, the drivetrain layout, and more. All of that was ripped off by other manufacturers but it took them forever to catch up.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
G35
I used to be in love with these cars when they came out..now they bore the hell out of me, and I've gotten tired of that look..
I don't think any Infiniti has aged well, ever...

Conservative high quality cars age well while edgy/flashy styling that tries to hide low quality doesn't. The low quality only becomes all too apparent after the initial trendiness wears off.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Pick two cars introduced the same year - one of which has aged well and one of which has aged poorly in terms of styling.

It's a matter of opinion - no flaming!

For example:

1996:

Audi A4 - has aged well

Mercury Sable - has aged badly

Edit: Comparisons shouldn't be too outrageous (i.e. no Ferraris to Cavaliers), but should ideally be cars that could have theoretically been considered by the same buyer (i.e. someone looking at Audi A4s could have also looked at a fully loaded Sable - like the one in the picture - as a "budget" alternative).
Didn't the A4 come out in 1994? and the sable in 1986? idgi. also, your picture is a 1997 a4.

·
Registered
45,009 Posts
Yup, it looked like a spaceship next to an E30.
Absolutely. :beer:

The only other car that was anywhere close was the '85 Audi 5000, (it aged really well, too) which everyone says Ford ripped off to build the Taurus. Of course, there's no way that could have happened, with the then 5 year design cycle.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts