VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Cloth interior? What....you were expecting goat skin instead? Maybe king cobra?

This rab appears to be about as good as can be found....and you wimp over it? Sheeeesch.

Edit: a smarter guy would determine if the engine code was a "JK" and beat his chest with delight when that is determined to be so, and you KNOW you have a 12 mm head bolt engine here instead of a "CK."

·
Registered
21,953 Posts
The looks are great, those seats were the most comfortable I ever owned, it looks like a well kept Garaged Car.
There is a Thread here about Sem Red to get your interior back to the same color as factory. Don't mod it. It will only increase in value my friend.

Mk1 Auto has original OEM red Carpet for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The looks are great, those seats were the most comfortable I ever owned, it looks like a well kept Garaged Car.
There is a Thread here about Sem Red to get your interior back to the same color as factory. Don't mod it. It will only increase in value my friend.

Mk1 Auto has original OEM red Carpet for them.
I had no idea sem red was a thing.. Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to try and keep it the way it is for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cloth interior? What....you were expecting goat skin instead? Maybe king cobra?

This rab appears to be about as good as can be found....and you wimp over it? Sheeeesch.

Edit: a smarter guy would determine if the engine code was a "JK" and beat his chest with delight when that is determined to be so, and you KNOW you have a 12 mm head bolt engine here instead of a "CK."
Could you point me to a thread that can help me figure that out? I'm still learning about these diesels

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,349 Posts
Could you point me to a thread that can help me figure that out? I'm still learning about these diesels
If you ever need to replace or rebuild your engine, then you can worry about whether you have 11mm or 12mm head bolts. If it's running well, don't worry about it.

If you are new to these cars, I highly recommend that you pick up a copy of Robert Bentley's manual for diesel Rabbits and Jettas. It has excellent step by step write ups of all of the maintenance procedures.

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,758 Posts
82 diesels were CR, early 82 were mfg before december 31 1981, (august 1981). late model 82 were also CR, typical bait and switch middle of model change. starting roughly january 1982 (up to august 1982)
early = 11mm, late = 12mm. both are the same engine code.
check the vin sticker on the driver side door jamb. it can be very difficult to read...
also some say the headbolts can determine which ones, look in the oil fill hole or remove the valve cover. but without very distinct photos or experience this can be difficult to "measure"

CK engines were 1.5D. so the previous post doesnt apply.

does it really matter? only if youre having engine troubles and need a rebuild. considerations to apply replacing the headbolts with headstuds....etc... its really not significant

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
If you need any support for hating the red interior, you have mine. Red sucks. Red accents are ok, but the entire interior? This goes for plaid too and what the heck, square headlights too. So there, everyone is offended with my remarks.

Back to the discussion about diesels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts