VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This car fell in my lap.
- 1989: the owner originally thought it was an 87, but it's actually an 89.
- 1 owner (he's 92 and still active!)
- 67000 miles
- a/c (still works!)
- all original
- MINT interior

The minor bad stuff:
- some surface rust on lower half of doors
- soft brake pedal
- dead battery (already charged it and got the car running this morning)
- missing three things: a wheel trim ring, a sunroof, and a clutch. Yeah: it's an automatic.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this car. It's a blank slate, so I'm thinking a very slight drop, maybe some 12 holes or Castellets or I'd LOVE a set of 1552 Snowflakes if I can find them (and afford them).

Running project total as of 6/22/15: ~$700.
- $450 purchase price
- $103 tow
- $19 temp tag
- $78 parts/fluids
- ~$50 in add'l fluids and such

·
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a gorgeous mk2 you have there. And $450, with only 67k? That's a steal! Completely stock and minty mk2s are a treat, its such a blank slate to start from. Congrats on the purchase, and I can't wait to see what this thing becomes!
Thanks! I'm trying to decide which direction to take it in: resto-mod, OEM+, or retro-hood-ridey look. First off I have to get a couple of things sorted out. Brake pedal is very soft. I tried bleeding the brakes and this happened on the first wheel:

·
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I love it. :heart:

That's definitely an '88 though.
HOLY CARP! I just checked the title; it IS NOT a 1987! The seller told me it was an 87 and I just took his word for it. The original owner purchased it on January 19, 1989. I checked the doorjamb and the build date is 8/88. So is it an 88 or an 89? I'm assuming it's an 88, but I know build dates don't always reflect the model year of the car.

EDIT: It's a 1989. I took five extra seconds to really look at the title and it states it's a 1989. I also verified with the A2 resource and my car has the illuminated passenger vanity mirror. I have to check for the height adjustable driver's seat.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Wow,what a time capsule.

Another true enthusiast recommended Kiwi Black shoe polish for the bumpers. I have tried about three other products but they all dry and fade in a matter of weeks. I will try the polish next go around.

That interior is mint. If I were you I would OEM+ it, but keep all the original items. Some rims to dress it up, maybe a set of sport springs (nothing major) and keep everything original. Anything you alter could devalue the car. 100% stock, low mileage are worth 2x-3x projects.

The same guy who recommended the polish has an ~87 in OEM+ and was considering selling it for ~$7500, and he could get it.
Do what makes you enjoy it more. But realize you found a real piece of history.

In for updates
:thumbup:

·
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow,what a time capsule.

Another true enthusiast recommended Kiwi Black shoe polish for the bumpers. I have tried about three other products but they all dry and fade in a matter of weeks. I will try the polish next go around.

That interior is mint. If I were you I would OEM+ it, but keep all the original items. Some rims to dress it up, maybe a set of sport springs (nothing major) and keep everything original. Anything you alter could devalue the car. 100% stock, low mileage are worth 2x-3x projects.

The same guy who recommended the polish has an ~87 in OEM+ and was considering selling it for ~$7500, and he could get it.
Do what makes you enjoy it more. But realize you found a real piece of history.

In for updates
:thumbup:
Thanks man. I'm definitely leaning OEM+. Some 14" or 15" wheels with a slight suspension drop. Much like my Scirocco 16V, this car deserves to be honored and not bastardized. That may be a harsh word, but I definitely won't put it on bags, or throw on some 17" or 18" wheels. Just keep it clean and classy.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks man. I'm definitely leaning OEM+. Some 14" or 15" wheels with a slight suspension drop. Much like my Scirocco 16V, this car deserves to be honored and not bastardized. That may be a harsh word, but I definitely won't put it on bags, or throw on some 17" or 18" wheels. Just keep it clean and classy.

You sir, have class :beer:

·
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to clarify: I'm not stating that those who do this to their own cars are 'bastardizing' them. I'm stating for this car I won't be doing any of that. The condition this car is in deserves to remain close to OEM. I can and do admire bagged cars all the time, but this one should not be messed with too much.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts