VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: pics of 91 jetta wolfsburg (VDub2625)

Quote, originally posted by VDub2625 »
They look exactly like an 90-92 Jetta GL, with round Wolfsburg emblems on the fenders.

Exaxtcly
I used to have a T red one with red teardrops. I saw one the other day and nostalgia kicked in. I loved that car and hated it at the same time. It was beutiful but had more problems than I could list.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: pics of 91 jetta wolfsburg (VDub2625)

Quote, originally posted by VDub2625 »
There are tons of pics of Jettas everywhere... just search...

figures but I wanted to see if anyone wanted to be a pic whore

· Registered
5,766 Posts
I am very sorry to break all of your balls, but this is not a Wolfsburg Edition. The USA never got a Wolfsburg Edition. I finally had it confirmed from Germany. Pull off those badges and you'll see euro sidemarker holes underneath. That's the only reason those badges are on there, VWoA were too lazy to stamp out their own fenders, don't really blame them, it is a people's car, no need to incur mad costs - but I wish some of the model-guru's around here who know a heapload more than me would put this myth to rest.
There is no such thing as a GL Wolfsburg Edition. A GL is a GL, etc. Wolfsburg editions had no prefix, Ie. they were called "Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition".

· Registered
137 Posts
Ok I have a 91 Jetta with Wolfsburg badges and the VIN shows the code for the Wolfsburg plant. So whats the deal is it a wolfsburg or not?
Oh and to the original poster, maybe I'll take some pics later but the front end is off the car as I am still working on making it run.

· Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,809 Posts
Re: (sbeatonNJ)

The round badges (white or black) that actually say Wolsburg Edition are actually Wolfsburg Editions. Cars with a small rectangular badge just have itn there as a hole filler, and were made in Germany. A WOlfsburg Edition was not always made in Wolfsburg.

· Registered
5,766 Posts
Well, I just thought you'd like some clarity on the issue... Calling a GL a Wolfsburg is like calling a CLX a GTI. It's just wrong nomenclature. Even if the badge says that they're wolfsburg editions, from what I can gather (about 4 years of trying to gather info) USA didn't get wolfsburg editions. Like 80% of the cars were made in wolfsburg anyway. Wolfsburgs only came out in 1989 to celebrate 50 years of VW, and they did have trim options not available on some other Jetta's.

· Registered
48,809 Posts
Re: (Jezztor)

Wolfsburg Editions have been around (in the US) since the Rabbit. I didn't say a WB WAS a GL, but, for all intents and purposes, it is. THe WB's here in the US were barely different (with the exception of some cars, like the 89 WB GLI). Most WOlfsburg Editions WERE GLs actually, they were badged as such. WB edition was more of a package add-on here in the States (thouhg, as stated, it didn't asdd much beyond the badges).
it seems you are working from a base idea that WBs are the same in SA as they are all voer the world- in the States, it was just an upgrade to a regular car, and a suppsoed "limited edition" of a trim.

Modified by VDub2625 at 1:54 PM 9-9-2005

· Registered
5,766 Posts
Hmmm... Well i'm relaying information that I would consider very trustworthy, but I'm open to learning... At the end of the day only the fans are gonna know the truth. I'm not comparing the SA-edition, which was totaly made in Germany besides wheels, it was just the concept of the WE, WHY they made them, what they stood for... And there is the story of the euro holes in the fenders cuz US authorities wanted banana lights for visibility or whatever the reasons were.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (VDub2625)

If memory serves, The Wolfsburg Package differed slightly from year to year. My 91 had the red teardrops, upgraded fabric wich became standard on the 92 GL and Carat. It also had cruise and a sunroof. A friend of mine had a 92 that was almost identical except his teardrops were not body colored and it was only a GL. I don't believe threre was a WB in 92.

· Registered
48,809 Posts
Re: (jet18.t1900)

85(?), 87, 89, and 91 were the WB years here in the US.
The badge that you are thinking of is not a WB edition badge... I have a few and I'll take a pic when I get home. The US WB editions had minor upgrades (like mentioned, fabric, etc). I have seen a Jetta G:L WB edition at the yard with no power options, no cruise, a sunroof, and the 91-92 fabric. It was probabaly a 91, and it was tan. it also was labeled Jetta GL on the back. In Germany, WB meant something, that might be the confusion (since you called Germany, they might have interpeted you wrong). All it comes down to is the WB was a special package with badges, maybe a few standard accessories, and differnet seats (the 89 with blue interiors had the blue striped Helios Recaro fabric, for example, in both GL and GLI form).
Wolfsburg was an addition to any car, not Just GLs. You could get a WB base, and a WB GLI as well. A WB Golf was available in 90 (or was it 91?) along with a WB GTI. Not all WB's were made in Germany (the Golf can attest to this, as no Golfs destined for the US came from Germany, and there are WB editions of those).

· Registered
5,766 Posts
Good information, thanks Vdubs.
In Germany, the WE's also got performance upgrades. My car has bigger valves, a slightly bigger intake Weber carburettor and a 2Y small-ratio gearbox, stiffer springs 10mm lower than normal, 50mm exhaust, as well as the aesthetics: colour-coded rear wing, thin euro side mouldings, euro small bumpers with red pin striping, blacked-out front & rear valence, velour-material sport seats, 14x6.5J mag wheels. Apparently in Germany they could choose which wheels they wanted. I didn't get the option unfortunately.

· Registered
48,809 Posts
Re: (Jezztor)

Sounds like your car is almost an 8v carb'd GLI
We didn't get carbs here. In 87, any coupe badged as a WB got red stripe bumpers, painred mirrors, power options, a painted spoiler, etc. As a matter of fact I can use ETKA to find all the options for WB editions, I think I'll go do that

It's varying degrees of options, like some just have special interiors and wheels, others, like the coupe or a Helios Jetta, are radically different. But they are always based on another car, usually a GL.

· Registered
48,809 Posts
Re: (VDub2625)

This is all i could find on any special edition Mk2 Golf or Jetta. There are more, but it seems by 90 or so, VW slipped away from the sepcially equipped models and went more toward individual options (notibly missing: Flair I, Pacific, Golf and GTI Wolfsburg). But it does give a general idea on what came with what, when.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.