VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that a bone stock Jetta may not be too exciting around here, so I hesitate to even post this, but I'm very happy with the results. I've had this '97 GT for about 5 years. It's always had some scratches, dents, and especially in later years, rust forming in certain places like around the wheel arches on the fenders. It also had some places that were spot repaired and didn't look too good. All around it had a sort of shabby appearance and was never greatly pleasing on the eyes. Since I had some time off work, I thought I'd tackle it. I fixed the dents, feathered out the scratches, sandblasted the rust spots, and gave her a fresh coat of skin. It also had some very minor custom touches, but after a few years of that, I started looking enviously at the bone stockers that I would see now and then in parking lots. So I made the decision to go back to stock as well. I'm so pleased with the results and now, though not totally mint, it's got to be about the nicest one around North East Ohio.

Dan

Modified by Dan53 at 12:33 PM 8-14-2009

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: FV-QR (tdogg74)

Yes, it's a bit of an orange, but for $90 and two or three days work, I can live with it. Might color sand it out one of these days but I'm not thinking it's worth it for a daily driver.
One thing it needs is new springs to bring up the sagging rear end. Of course, I could just lower the front to compensate...

Dan

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Dan53)

Quote, originally posted by Dan53 »
Yes, it's a bit of an orange, but for $90 and two or three days work, I can live with it. Might color sand it out one of these days but I'm not thinking it's worth it for a daily driver.
One thing it needs is new springs to bring up the sagging rear end. Of course, I could just lower the front to compensate...

Dan

give us some more details, for the DIY's please. Came out great. I am under the impression that it's one of those do it at home spray jobs?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Pics of my (98vwgls)

Yes, I did this at home. I had $90 in it worth of paint, hardener, primer, masking tape, and masking paper. I already had the compressor, HVLP paint gun, and some reducer. I also had the other tools and materials for fixing the dents and sandblasting. I restore cars for a living, so obviously such a project was sort of a cinch for me. I never intended for it to be a gorgeous paint job, but damn does it look way better than it did. I'd be glad to answer any more questions for the interested DIYer.
Dan

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Re: Pics of my (Dan53)

I bought the HVLP Kobalt gun from Lowes. It's gravity fed. I have painted a few houses with it. Which is a latex paint. My compressor is a gas compressor and has no problem feeding the gun. My paint is not in the best shape and I am not looking to spend 3 grand on a paint job. I have seen many DIY paint jobs come out great. Yours came out good, just looks like it needs some wet sanding. What did you use to pull door dings out? That stud gun thing? I also have 1 or 2 fairly large dents. Almost like a tenis ball hit the car. Where can I buy the paint from?
Could you make a quick list of things I would need for paint. I have a pretty good idea about the prep work. Just needs to be sanded with a 400 grit, right?
Also, the mixing of the paint. I have done quite a bit of research and am still slightly confused.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
FV-QR

I was hoping to see nudz. FML. Yeah fix that orange peel ASAP. Then it will look funky fresh.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
FV-QR

Gods of War.
May your hammer be mighty.

·
Registered
12,416 Posts
Re: FV-QR (mk2gtd)

Orange peel in the last picture?! Theres orange peel in every picture. Damn i would rather have macco give me a $300 respray. Im sorry but there is nothing fresh about this girl. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Re: FV-QR (BigE98GTI)

If you do this for a living I would think you would have had a better result. If it is so easy for you and all..why do such a shabby job ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Pics of my (stofficer2)

Hey I have no quarrel with people hating on the orange peel, I'm not thrilled about it either. I'd be the first to admit (as I have) that it's not the best paint job. The idea was to spend as little time and money as possible to get the car to look better, and I'd take a little orange peel over dents, scratches, and rust any day. It's not like I'm out to impress my high school friends or something.
Quote, originally posted by stofficer2 »
I bought the HVLP Kobalt gun from Lowes. It's gravity fed. I have painted a few houses with it. Which is a latex paint. My compressor is a gas compressor and has no problem feeding the gun. My paint is not in the best shape and I am not looking to spend 3 grand on a paint job. I have seen many DIY paint jobs come out great. Yours came out good, just looks like it needs some wet sanding. What did you use to pull door dings out? That stud gun thing? I also have 1 or 2 fairly large dents. Almost like a tenis ball hit the car. Where can I buy the paint from?
Could you make a quick list of things I would need for paint. I have a pretty good idea about the prep work. Just needs to be sanded with a 400 grit, right?
Also, the mixing of the paint. I have done quite a bit of research and am still slightly confused.

You can get paint at many auto parts store, NAPA usually sells it, for example. You'll need to decide between single stage (spray the color and you're done) and base coat clear coat (more work and more expensive, but typically gives better results). I went with single stage for this because, again, I was just looking to do it as fast and cheap as possible and wasn't too concerned about the results as long as it was all one color.
For single stage you'll need the paint, reducer (or "thinner"), and hardener. Just follow the mixing ratio the people that sell the paint give you, as each manufacture may be different. For example, what I used was 8:1:1. So 1 cup paint to 1/8 cup hardener and reducer. 3 quarts of paint should give you 3 or 4 coats, though you could buy a gallon to be safe.
Base coat clear coat is about the same though there won't be a hardener for the color, instead you'll use that in the clear coat.
I didn't have any dents big enough to need pulled, just small dings that I filled. Don't use Bondo, it's junk. Use quality products from Evercoat or USC or the like. Bring down anything you fill to bare metal regardless of what you hear or read, it's just not worth it in my opinion not to. There's not cheap way to pull a dent. You could use a slide hammer which means you'll need to drill a hole and then weld it up (inexpensive if you have a welder, otherwise...) or use a stud puller like you mentioned. If you use a slide hammer and then fill over the hole with filler you'll be taking a risk of it cracking or popping before long.
To prep, yes, sand with 400. Leave no shiny spots (look out for areas that are hold to get to, the paint will flake in a couple years if you don't rough up all areas). The most important thing you need to do that most amateurs may not be aware of is wax and grease remover. It is essential. Use it before applying anything to the car, even filler or primer. Use whatever primer the people you buy the paint from recommend, and then paint! I also hit it with a tack cloth right before painting, which is like a sticky rag that will get any loose dirt off the car. You should primer the car first, let it dry for a few days, then sand that with 400 too. I didn't do that (again, I just didn't care enough to devote the time) but if you want the best results it's a must. This is a big reason why my car is orange peely. I hope that helps!
Dan

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
FV-QR

jeez guys, it's a $90 paint job. looks ok to me

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Re: Pics of my (Dan53)

Wow Dan, that's pretty helpful. Cars have been painted with single stage for a while now, havn't they? I feel like the single stage would result in tougher paint. The reason for painting is dents, scratches and clear coat peel. So you're saying I can go to Napa and give them a paint code and they will be able to supply it to me? For doors and such, I heard it's not smart to use any filler?

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Re: Pics of my (freshly painted) girl (Dan53)

i vote that anyone who is going to dog your $90 paint job because of the orange peel has to post a picture of their superior car before they talk smack. I would bet this thread would be half as long. . . . . .

for $90 i would say you are sitting pretty well. With a little more work and little expence, you could shut up 99% of these smack talkers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.