VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like either a picture or a description of the best place to tap my block for a return line from a turbo. I tried searching couldn't seem to find anything real good

Modified by btown25 at 12:52 PM 5-10-2007

·
Registered
16,213 Posts
Re: picture request: tapped block (vr6chris)

Quote, originally posted by vr6chris »
run the return line from the turbo to the oil pan.

WTF
He asked for a location to tap the Oil return into the back of the block

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Re: (exjnv)

any special reason to run it back into the block instead of the pan?
the pan is your best bet, just above the oil level at the highest point in the back.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (OMG VRT)

bill schimmel told me to run it to my block, makes sure that the oil can flow out of the return line...
tapping the pan is fine I guess but I want to prolong the life of my turbo as much as possible http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
how is going into the block any different than into the pan. if your thinking about taping into the oil gallies then have fun because onceu have oil pressure its going to shoot oil right back up the return line. if your just taping into the block in the back where it just leaks back down the passage to the sump then go for it but its no different than returning it to the pan.... all goes to the same place.
as far as oil flowing out of the return line....?
just make sure the oil line is the right length and doesnt sag under where the return hole is and youll be all set
gl

Modified by shortshiften at 7:14 PM 5-10-2007

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (shortshiften)

just looking for picutures of where to drill...I don't feel like making the drive to schimmel and phones with them are

it does make a difference, the correct way to run your return is to drill into the block, under throttle oil with cavitate to the rear of the pan obviously when it does that no matter how high on the pan you go that oil will block the return line and with time fry your turbo
the reason Im asking for drill location is so I don't drill into anything dangerous
again Im not looking to debate block or pan, just where on the block http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by btown25 at 7:28 PM 5-10-2007

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Re: (btown25)

: spur of the moment thought :
hmm, since you'd probably have to drop the pan anyway for either procedure what about a longer piece of pipe sticking out into the pan (longer meaning 1.5" tops) And then when the oil surges to the back of the pan during acceleration that oil will be hanging out UNDER the turbo oil return line instead of blocking the hole.
I'm just thinking out loud but that would mean: drill the hole for the hose barb but drill it large enough to push all the thread through and then thread on a small piece of pipe inside the pan. Afterwards apply JB weld all over it outside.
Either way you go sounds good but I like my little "spur of the moment idea". I'll have to drop my pan and do that sometime

Get pics when you do tap the block, I'm curious where to do it as well. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
: /spur of the moment thought :

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
well if your taping into the block, how are you going ot flush the entire system with out spreading the chips and shavings everywhere ???
thats why pan is ideal because you can remove the pan to drill and tap and then clean and its not all inside the block
just trying to look out for ya, wouldnt want u to go to all this trouble to save your turbo and then have to worry about replacing a scorn motor

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (shortshiften)

thanks for the concern

that's why Im letting ryan handle it, he will take care of cleaning it and such.
I originally planned on tapping the pan but if schimmel and ryan both say don't do it then Im not, I paid too much for my turbo to have a prematurely fry

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (OMG VRT)

Quote, originally posted by OMG VRT »
: spur of the moment thought :
hmm, since you'd probably have to drop the pan anyway for either procedure what about a longer piece of pipe sticking out into the pan (longer meaning 1.5" tops) And then when the oil surges to the back of the pan during acceleration that oil will be hanging out UNDER the turbo oil return line instead of blocking the hole.
I'm just thinking out loud but that would mean: drill the hole for the hose barb but drill it large enough to push all the thread through and then thread on a small piece of pipe inside the pan. Afterwards apply JB weld all over it outside.
Either way you go sounds good but I like my little "spur of the moment idea". I'll have to drop my pan and do that sometime

Get pics when you do tap the block, I'm curious where to do it as well. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
: /spur of the moment thought :

good idea Ill hit ryan with it tommorrow, he'll still want to go into the block Im sure but it seems like an easier option.
Ill make sure pictures get taken http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Re: (btown25)

my pan is tapped (even though it's an NA car I guess my pan came from a turbo car when the motor was being built).
It's tapped on the passenger side, 1/4 way or 1/2 way down and in the middle (horizontally).
I will take a pic tonight or on saturday.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.