VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an old magazine with a Woerthersee Show report in it. Apparently 1985 was the fourth year of the event - 1100 cars and 3000 people turned up! It's grown a bit since then...
Pics aren't great - my scanner is on it's way out and the print/paper isn't too good either.

· Registered
5,275 Posts
Re: Pictures from Woerthersee - 1985! (achtungti)

super cool

I remember seeing those kits for sale in old Vw & Porsche mags way back in the early eighties.
it would be kinda cool to find one now.

· Registered
983 Posts
Re: Pictures from Woerthersee - 1985! (rabbitmania)

I guess wide body kits have always been cool on MK 1's http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
P.S. 80's graphics rock
(not really).
Thanks for sharing

Modified by yellowbunny at 10:14 AM 11-17-2004

· Registered
1,329 Posts
Re: Pictures from Woerthersee - 1985! (yellowbunny)

it makes me wonder to which old skool are people attempting to return? I don't see much chrome
also , it looks like they were really jealous of our westmoreland fronts.
personally,i like the wide bodies but we really need to go back in time and push monochromatic.
good post http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by melmer at 8:20 AM 11-17-2004

· Registered
1,497 Posts
Re: Pictures from Woerthersee - 1985! (DarrenW)

Great find. I also agree with the observation about "old school." It is pretty funny how the square headlights and 80's gpaint schemes were all the rage.
The funny thing is that I can remember my dad working on our first Rabbit around that time and he wanted to get Euro GTI flares, a small duckbill, and euro gti cam. I guess we were old school and euro before it existed...

· Registered
5,275 Posts
Re: Pictures from Woerthersee - 1985! (Jetta90WB)

Quote, originally posted by Jetta90WB »
Why is there an MK2 in the background?

uhhhh duuhhhh maybe cause the pics were taken in 1985 and the mk2 was available in 1984 in Europe.
i'll apologise now if this offends you but please, it's as obvious as the nose on your face.
Read the fricken headline
Pictures from Woerthersee - 1985!

Modified by LubsDaDubs at 10:50 AM 11-17-2004

· Registered
751 Posts
Re: Pictures from Woerthersee - 1985! (LubsDaDubs)

i just hope in 20 years that the cars we are building now (mk1's) won't look like that...
but i'm sure the mk4's will in hindsight..
why do people do such crappy things to cars when they are new?
simple is the best.

· Registered
22,882 Posts
Re: Pictures from Woerthersee - 1985! (j a y)

because when things are new, you need to make sure yours stands out from the crowd, be different enough for at least ONE person to notice....5 years from that point, the styling you put on your car is now "dated" and "out of style"...these same cars in the above pics in the late 80's-early 90s would have 15 or 16 inch wheels, probably 5 spoke, monochrome paint schemes with painted grilles, bumpers, everything most likely in Flourescent colors, perhaps even Clipper kits, cause, well, that was new...come mid 90's all said above cars have 17's and big bumpers, MkII style...the Zender three piece spoilers are now being taken off and replaced with mkIII style wings with 3rd brake lights, and TSW Hock R's and EVOs rule the roost, all with the obigatory "GTI" double headlight grille...then came the minimalist "euro" period, plastic euro bumps, dinky 13's and such, which leads right now to our current retro renaissance, or the Rat-Rod look, and the rather hideous "Fast and Furious" approach...So, all these cars may still be around, but have gone through 15 different owners and phases...
man, that's crazy after I reread that...I've been around this scene too long...

· Registered
10,480 Posts
Re: Pictures from Woerthersee - 1985! (DarrenW)

Quote, originally posted by DarrenW »

I would rock those 2 now. The blue one is a little better with the hood and the colors arent as flamboyant. But hell who cares def. grabs attention. Plus both sporting Zender kits, grille and wheels I believe.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.