VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S, 2017 Jaguar F-Pace, 2012 Audi TT RS
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I posted this in the Wheel/Tire Forum, but I didn't think it would get the same attention there. I searched for the answer, but couldn't find any info.
Ok, a pothole has claimed the life of one of my Pilot Sports and damaged another. I'm having trouble finding replacements, and I need them tomorrow...it's my only day off for a while. I found a place that has the Michelin Pilot Sport Porsche N0 tire. It looks similar, but I see that it is cheaper at Tirerack.
Does anyone have any info on whether these tires are significantly different? Should I buy these tires, or not?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Re: Pilot Sport OEM vs. Porsche N0 (DrDomm)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...Sport

I think that size for the Porsche is for the fronts, but I also think you could run them on all four corners. I'm not sure I would stick with the Michelins given the choice. In fact I didn't and currently have Continental Extreme Contacts on the 337. The Michelins do provide a performance ride, but do you really need that much performance at that price? Quite a few folks have been switching to A/S performance tires with good results at a more reasonable cost. I'm even considering selling my Pilots since the Continentals appear to be working so well.

Jim

·
Registered
14,678 Posts
Re: Pilot Sport OEM vs. Porsche N0 (jbx2)

I guess if you're not tracking the car, I'd agree. However, I love the Pilots and wouldn't get anything else.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Re: Pilot Sport OEM vs. Porsche N0 (dcomiskey)

I am going to Pirelli PZero Nero M+S for my next tires. 9/10 of the performance (even moreso in the wet and snow) of the Pilots, with one half the cost. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Re: Pilot Sport OEM vs. Porsche N0 (venom600)

I heard pirellis wear out after around 10k
and is it true they stopped making the Pilot Sports that come on the 20th standard??
Peace

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Re: Pilot Sport OEM vs. Porsche N0 (TANiK)

yes they did stop making them for the new model pilots. i had to specially order mine, the price is jumping sky high =(

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote, originally posted by DrDomm »
Does anyone have any info on whether these tires are significantly different? Should I buy these tires, or not?

I had to replace a tire and wound up with one of the N0s by mistake (unfortunately didn't notice until I pulled them off for winter). Anyway, there is a difference! The tread pattern is slightly less angled, and the edges are more heavily grooved. Honestly don't know how traction/performance compares -- haven't really noticed myself (but looking at them, it seems like the stock tread pattern would be better in the wet, IMHO). Best bet if you have to go with the N0s is to get a pair and keep them on the same end of the car.
Here's a side-by-side comparison (click for a larger photo). N0 is on the right.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts

I got a replacement Pilot from a local shop using a Porsche OEM part number.
Exactly the same, less a 3mm letter somewhere on the sidewall...BFD.
I don't have the #, but I know it exists.

·
Registered
384 Posts

I managed to kill to Pilot Sports in one day in separate incidents. Ultimately, I found the replacements at a VW dealer. Make sure you call any and all VW dealers that are convenient. You might get lucky like I did. Their price was a little higher, but not terrible.

·
Registered
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S, 2017 Jaguar F-Pace, 2012 Audi TT RS
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Pilot Sport OEM vs. Porsche N0 (gtifan)

Yeah, I have the N0's now,and noticed the pattern before they were put on. It isn't perfect, but I didn't have too many other options. Both N0's are on the front. They seem fine.

·
Banned
4,829 Posts
Re: (Dude Wheres My Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by Dude Wheres My Jetta »

PZERO-Nero's don't even come close Pilot sport's performance. Why do you think they're so cheap? PZero's are its competition and an even better tire at that.

That doesn't really make sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts