VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning for a trip to Germany and Czech. (mainly, Prague) in the coming Summer. I already planned to visit Stuttgart and Munich (and Berlin as well). Where else should we go to see automotive related sites in Germany?
Keep it mind that we probably will not be renting a vehicle in Germany (long story short... let just say my wife does not want to have any incident during the vacation as soon as I enthusiastically mentioned the autobahns and the Nurburgring
)

· Registered
16,844 Posts
Re: Planning a trip to Germany... where to go (automotive related)? (1Point8T)

nurburgring. !!!!!!!1!!! race your car on a former Formula 1 track. Insurance covers it

and the vw factory with the 2 towers as a showroom (wth is it called?)

· Registered
7,001 Posts

Definitely go the Auto + Technik Museum in Sinsheim, which will be on your on way between the Nürburgring and the Southern parts of the country:
http://www.technik-museum.de/
They already have their Concorde

· Registered
2,792 Posts

I plan on going to the Autostadt, and maybe the MB museum in Stuttgart. I plan on hitting these two in August. I also plan on hitting Nurburgering (sp?) when I am there. They will let you run what you bring, including a rental car.
I'd avoid the BMW museum in Munich. I've been there, and it seems like it was constructed in the late 1970's and then promptly forgotten about. Really not worth it.
I also went to the Hockenheim ring, which had motorcycle racing the day I was there, and that was fairly cool.

· Registered
298 Posts
Re: Planning a trip to Germany... where to go (sucking chest wound)

Quote, originally posted by sucking chest wound »

I'd avoid the BMW museum in Munich. I've been there, and it seems like it was constructed in the late 1970's and then promptly forgotten about. Really not worth it.

That's exactly what I was going to say. The BMW museum sucks HUGE!

· Registered
3,070 Posts

Spend some time in Frankfurt so you can have an excuse to pop over to the Nurburgring. If you want to lap the Ring in your own car, you'll need to check their schedule to see when it is open to the public. Also, I'd book a ride in the M5 Ringtaxi ahead of time. http://www.nurburgring.de
The Mercedes museum near Stuggart is really nice. Skip the Porsche and BMW ones. You can also do factory tours with most of the major brands if you call ahead and reserve a spot.
VW museum near Wolfsburg has tons of vintage VWs. http://www.flash.net/~mikeh74/heb.html
If you're into science and technology, set aside at least two days for the Deutsches Museum in Munich. You can easily spend a week there if you actually stop and look at the displays. http://www.deutsches-museum.de/e_index.htm

· Registered
15,861 Posts

Cool. I just did a similar trip.
Places I went:
Autostadt (autocity - and the location of the 2 car-filled towers mentioned) in Wolfsburg - Home of VW. You pay a modest fee for all day access to the "theme" park. Lots of great history and old cars there, like the original VW Bug designed by Ferdinand Porsche just prior to the hieght of WWII, for example, and many others. There is an opportunity to drive the Touareg on the offroad course. I went on their factory tour, which was pretty cool - they had just started making the Touran, a very hot new item apparently (I think it goes for 90k Euro!!
That's almost $100k US, but then they pay a lot of taxes, but still a lot of money - for example the $20k Golf we get is like 30k Euro over there because of either taxes or brand prestige inflation (yes, brand prestige)).
Stuttgart is home of Mercedes Benz; Munich is home of BMW and its museum, both of which you seem to know.
Ingolstadt is a little north of Munich - home of Audi (the whole city is pretty much built around Audi).
I drove to Porsche (headquarters?) near Liepzig - just a big factory complex that I could not get close to, although I was a little delighted to see a group of Porsches and several other competing cars coming in from some road testing, including a Subaru STI. I thought that was kind of interesting. I dont know where there is a Porsche museum.

Definitely Nurburgring - I was lucky enough to arrive there right when they were racing, a race called "Veedol-Langstrecken-Pokal." Passed by the BMW M test center mentioned, but didnt stay long to look - it was raining and late, and I didnt have time.
Hockenheim ring - just south of Frankfurt. Again, I was fortunate (?) to see some racing Porsches in testing (not that exciting really - I guess they just make good use of their tracks).
Too bad you wont be renting (I am not married, but I can imagine - still, you should try to get your wife to reconsider I say
). I think you can rent a new BMW 5 from Sixt rental car.
I rented a VW 100hp TDI PD Golf. It was a great car, and could achieve 120-130mph on the Autobahn. Started great on cold, near-freezing German autumn mornings. I viewed the trip as a great opportunity to try out the latest diesels that you wont be have access to in America for at least a couple more years. Of course, the 100hp TDI PD is what we get this year in the US-spec Golf, but I couldnt afford an expensive, high performance diesel. I did however see lots of diesels on the road, including a V10 TDI Toureg, and plenty of fast diesel on the Autobahn. Also saw lots of other great cars you only get to see in pictures.
One other recommendation: Just NE of Potsdam, which is just outside Berlin, there is a pretty cool Luftwaffe Museum, with all sorts of interesting displays, including relics back to WWII. I am a bit of an aviation buff in line with my car buff tendencies. Detailed displays about the Me 163 (rocket plane) and 262, for example, the airships, the Red Baron and his plane and medals(originals I dont know), a cutaway model of the BMW 003 jet engine, and a lot of old and new aircraft out on the airfield, etc. Note - the museum is free! Definitely worth seeing if you are in the neighborhood.
EDIT: I just saw a show on History channel called "Secret Luftwaffe Aircraft of WWII." It is amazing how many advanced designs the Germans had in WWII - many of their design advances are still being employed and researched today. If not for a very fortuitous set of events and a bit of luck, the war really could have turned out very differently.
I also checked out many of the musical locations - Bonn for Beethoven, Salzburg for Mozart, Liepzig for Bach.
All in all, I was there for about 3 & 1/2 weeks, but I did a lot more than just see car museums. Just too see everything I mentioned would take at least a week, 10-14 days if you really want to relax.
Have a great trip and enjoy the Autobahn driving experience! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I certainly got spoiled with their highway driving rules.

Modified by RogueTDI at 12:24 AM 1-12-2004

· Registered
15,861 Posts
Re: Planning a trip to Germany... where to go (Suprnintndo Chlmrs)

Quote, originally posted by Suprnintndo Chlmrs »

That's exactly what I was going to say. The BMW museum sucks HUGE!

I only saw the lobby of the museum, so I couldnt disagree. I just thought I would see it while I was in Munich, which is a great city anyway - make sure to go to the Hofbrauhaus http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif (not to sound too touristy, but it was cool).

· Registered
2,244 Posts
Re: Planning a trip to Germany... where to go (RogueTDI)

I don't have much to add, but definately agree with the previous posts. How long are you going to be in Germany? I was there a week, and it certainly wasn't enough time to see everything. I definately want to go back.
Have a great trip.

· Registered
3,031 Posts
Re: Planning a trip to Germany... where to go (3wheelinWolf)

When do you plan on going? I plan on flying into Frankfurt in June with my GF and staying for a little over 2 weeks. I cannot wait to get over there, the flight tickets this year though are crazy expensive. I am curious to see what prices you are getting for tickets over there.

· Registered
2,191 Posts
Re: Planning a trip to Germany... where to go (glenn4881)

If you are in Berlin you should check out the Meilenwerk, a huge hall with everything about classic cars, shops etc.. From Berlin it is only about an hour by ICE train to Wolfsburg where you can visit the Autostadt which is really great (but you should also considering getting a rental, the Autobahn A2 Berlin --> Wolfsburg is empty and in a very good shape...
)
BTW: Porsche's headquarter (and museum) is in Stuttgart in Leipzig is just a factory where they build engines and the Cayenne.

· Registered
4,022 Posts

Quote, originally posted by RogueTDI »
I went on their factory tour, which was pretty cool - they had just started making the Touran, a very hot new item apparently (I think it goes for 90k Euro!!
That's almost $100k US, but then they pay a lot of taxes, but still a lot of money - for example the $20k Golf we get is like 30k Euro over there because of either taxes or brand prestige inflation (yes, brand prestige)).

am i reading that correctly?
in no way does that sound true or possible. i thought the touran was based on the golf/bora cars.

· Registered
15,861 Posts
Re: Planning a trip to Germany... where to go (billgti)

Quote, originally posted by billgti »

am i reading that correctly?
in no way does that sound true or possible. i thought the touran was based on the golf/bora cars.

Actually, I may be wrong on that. I heard it from a tour guide during the factory tour at Autostadt. I too was surprised and in disbelief at the cost, so perhaps it isnt correct. I wouldnt be surprised though if it is a pricy vehicle.

· Registered
4,022 Posts

Quote, originally posted by RogueTDI »

Actually, I may be wrong on that. I heard it from a tour guide during the factory tour at Autostadt. I too was surprised and in disbelief at the cost, so perhaps it isnt correct. I wouldnt be surprised though if it is a pricy vehicle.

i think the pricey vehicle they're talking about is either the phaeton or the touareg. the touran is just a mpv golf.

· Registered
145 Posts

As someone mentioned earlier, I'd highly recommend a ride in the Ring Taxi at the Nürburgring(if you can still get a reservation that is). It's really a unique experience and Sabine knows how an M5 wants to be driven.
Small teaser: http://www.nordschleife.nl/mov...3.wmv
Autosalon Singen is worth a visit, too. It's probably the most mind-blowing car dealership you'll ever see. They have pretty much every exotic and classic car you can think of: http://www.auto-salon-singen.de/

· Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks for the ideas!! I will keep those in mind. Keep them coming

I've come across the Ring Taxi in one of those Germany tour books. It sounds quite intriquing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.