VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a post not long ago asking for a pic of the undeside of the front showing the plastic panels covering the bottom of the engine area. I can't seem to locate the post. After looking at mine, I am not sure if there are any missing panels or hardware. Anyone have a pic?
Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Plastic panels under engine? (noka648)

I found the post:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...age=2
Thread was about HID's but OT question posted by H2O2H on 5-22-2004. No response.
If anyone has any details or pics, much appreciated. Probably nothing missing but it does look a bit strange. The center piece that extends further towards the back looks like one side is not attached and just kind of dangling a bit.
Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
17,666 Posts

On my '02 I had the oil changed for the first time at the dealer. When it came time to do the second, I did it myself, and was surprised to see what appeared to be a missing belly pan. The indent was all around the edge, and there were places for clips, or such. I stormed back to the dealer and demanded to know where the belly pan was that the tech forgot to reattach. I was told that only the diesels had a full pan, and all the rest had just the front part. Hope that's to what you are referring.

Modified by rabbitgtibbar at 10:19 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Plastic panels under engine? (rabbitgtibbar)

Thanks, that probably explains it. However, I can't be sure until I see a pic that someone might have (anyone?), or until I can check the bottom of one at the dealer, if/when they have another.
Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
2,800 Posts

[/IMG]

[/IMG] you mean this part?

Modified by agomez3 at 5:25 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Plastic panels under engine? (agomez3)

Yes, more or less. At least I think I'm not missing any pieces. Assuming yours is normal, it shows a center area that is open (not covered with plastic) where the metal engine parts are showing.
In the 1st pic, you see a wedge-shaped piece of the plastic pointing towards the right in the pic (i.e. towards the rear of the car). There is a larger section a little further away as you view the pic (i.e. towards the passenger side). The closer corner does not seem to be attached to anything (it's about a 4-o'clock position from the tip of the wedge-shaped piece). You can push on it and it just flops up and down. Is that the way yours is? ... assuming you are following me.
Actually, in the 2nd pic, I think the "unattached" corner is the one in the lower right.
Rgds,
Norm

Modified by noka648 at 11:08 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quick update:
I checked R32 at dealer today. Same, so I assume normal. If anything catches that corner of the plastic when backing up, I imagine it would get pulled off easily, since it hangs down quite low.
Rgds,
Norm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts