VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please explain what plastic welding is. Is it something you can do with a machine or is it factory done?
or is it just heating up some plastic and puting some more plastic under it to join two pieces? If so whats the best way to heat the plastic?
thx

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Re: plastic weld (Dilbert)

I know that I've soldered plastic before. It's the most disgusting smell in the world.
I remember when my bumper clips broke on my GTI and I went to the dealership to find out the only way to replace them was to melt the plastic back on. I guess at the service dept. there they use a soldering iron, so that's what I did.
It was 5-10 minutes of gagging on melting plastic fumes, but that bumper never fell off again.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Re: plastic weld (Ovey1)

so if you have a soldering iron anyone can weld plastic? there is no special chemicals like flux or anything? just as simple as melting the plastic together? how strong will this be?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: plastic weld (Jerelin7686)

it depends on the plastic. If you notice, some call for other chemicals, or adhesives, etc. Thermoplastic bumpers melt together, so it's just like when it was first made. Urethane does not work the same way. I think that site (*edit: that Ovey1 linked to) actually explains all this.

[Modified by negativl, 1:05 AM 12-4-2002]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts