VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did today, unfortunatly not by choice. Stumped my mechanic, and his tranny man who's be working on vw's for 41 years. Lets see if i can stump you too...
91 Jetta GL 8v, 5 speed. While "Playing" in the snow this morning, I go to do a 180 slide move. Downshift into second with a nice grind. "Wow, this is embarrasing", but don't think anything of it. Go to third to get traction, grind again "This isnt funny anymore." grab 4th, and its alright. So i go to park, reverse is fine, but first isn't there. Second works alright so i use that.
After school i go home using 2nd gear starts and call my mechanic. He says bring it over to look at it. Well, i stumped him, so he calls his buddy who works on VW's too. He's stumped too, becuase second still works. He says to drain the tranny fluid. In the fluid, there is a copper dust. damn. So i need a new tranny, but what broke?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Re: Play "STUMP THE CHUMP" (Veedubspeed04)

The copper dust is really brass. It would be from wear of the blocking rings. What does first do when you engage it, or cant you engage it.
Have you checked to see if it is just a shift rail that is acting up?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Re: Play "STUMP THE CHUMP" (AllMotor8v)

quote:[HR][/HR]Aren't brass filings signs of dead synchros?[HR][/HR]​
blocking rings are part of the syncronizer assembly. They're kind of like a brake, they press against the clutch teeth on the drive gear to slow the gear down before the snycronizer hub slides over and locks the output shaft to the selected gear.

[Modified by laxsex, 12:35 AM 1-29-2003]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts