VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6.71seconds. That was the best run.

BONE STOCK, and with 15' Pirelli snow tires that spun like hell throughout first gear, and loaded with full trim inside.
The Gtech pro seemed to be really accurate....it knows when my car comes to a stop, knows when my car is at 60mph....very cool accelerometer technology. For you doubters, you should give this a try. It's not going to give you official trap times, but at least give you some baseline numbers.
The key idea to have your gtech accurate is to mount it as level as possible.
But it was hard to get my car to run consistently, I find it realyl hard to launch it -If i dump the clutch too quickly @ 2700rpms, the revs go down real quick and the engine bogs down a bit, and the turbos have to spool up again. The best time I get is when I launch a bit below 3K rpm and slip the clutch quickly but not dumping it, which is a REAL art...I've never found it so difficult to launch a car
anybody else want to tell me how to lauch this car quickly?
Anyways, I ran a few times, ending up in high 6's and in low 7's when I really sucked. I ran the car until i smelled the clutch...it was a fun night

6.71...not to shabby for a stock car, eh?

[Modified by BananaCo, 12:45 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
504 Posts
Re: Played with buddy's G-tech pro. My 0-60 time is..... (BananaCo)

Its accuracy is really dependent on the weight you enter (or so I've been told).

·
Registered
10,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Played with buddy's G-tech pro. My 0-60 time is..... (drfrink24)

quote:[HR][/HR]Its accuracy is really dependent on the weight you enter (or so I've been told).
[HR][/HR]​
u only need to enter the weight when u want to calculate the HP on the Gtech pro. 0-60 times are not dependent on any other variables other then the G force experinced.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

A buddy of mine used he G-Tech while he was running at atco to see how accurate it was. It was only off by 1-2 10ths in the 1/4mile when reffrencing the time slips he got. Supposedly the G-Tech is more accurate than the trap time at the track because it gives you the exact 1520..ft time and speed. At the track, where the timers are placed they could be off by a couple of inches ( If you want to get anal about it)!

·
Registered
50 Posts

I have always wondered about those G-tech things sounds cool though and good stock time maybe I will get one just wonder if I will just drive around none stop trying to beat my own times..

·
Registered
2,229 Posts

Accelerometers are in general pretty accurate. Airplanes use them for autopilots. Just set your initial location (using GPS) and then it knows exaclty where you are for the duration of the flight. An autopilot has 3 accelerometers though, one for each direction.

·
Registered
23,931 Posts

That seems about right because most of the mags are getting 6.5 to 6.7 seconds on stock tires with the 180 hp engine.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Re: Played with buddy's G-tech pro. My 0-60 time is..... (FlashRedGLS1.8T)

if a bone stock AWP runs around 6.5~6.7 sec. 0 to 60, what would a GIAC KO4 run? A low 6?

·
Banned
501 Posts
Re: Played with buddy's G-tech pro. My 0-60 time is..... (sheetone)

i've been "borrowing" my buddies g-tech for the past 6, maybe more, months, and i've found a lot of errors. first off when i did hp to the wheels, i dialed weight in exact, how did i know? i weighed the car on a department of transportion scale. i got 243 hp to the wheels, not right at all. my best 0-60 has been 5.3 and best 1/4 was a 13.8. haven't done the 1/4 since my tranny mods and the FMIC if that's gonna help at all.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Re: Played with buddy's G-tech pro. My 0-60 time is..... (rub-a-vee-dub)

1/4 mile with g-tech 13.3
actual 1/4 mile at track 13.86
the g-tech run was made at the track when i get the 13.86 slip
g-tech said power to the wheels was 164 or sommung ridiculously low
actual wheel hp 204.
i do have a deceleration "g" of -3.3 though
head on collision.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Re: Played with buddy's G-tech pro. My 0-60 time is..... (turbo02gti)

A 1/4th mile is 1320 feet. And the trap speed it an average speed over several feet. I don't remember exactly how it is done by the traps are like 60 feet apart. That is why the 0-100 times in magazines never look right next to the 1/4th mile times. If you want more information I can look up the article I read a few years ago.
quote:[HR][/HR]A buddy of mine used he G-Tech while he was running at atco to see how accurate it was. It was only off by 1-2 10ths in the 1/4mile when reffrencing the time slips he got. Supposedly the G-Tech is more accurate than the trap time at the track because it gives you the exact 1520..ft time and speed. At the track, where the timers are placed they could be off by a couple of inches ( If you want to get anal about it)! [HR][/HR]​

1 - 12 of 12 Posts