VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a flaw on the upper part of the bumper (below the VW logo) and I want to cover it.
Unfortunately, this is a white pearl color so is impossible to correct. I am thinking about applying black PPF foil.
I was able to prepare these two sketches (I know I am MS paint master 😂).

Option1? Option2? None? Please share your thoughts.

Option 1:

Option 2:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Option 2 looks better. Option 1 looks like it has a mustache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
773 Posts
I think the "flaw" might look better than either or even mismatched white paint.
I agree, not an ideal solution.

How bad is the flaw? Pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
A good shop will know how to lay the pearl down so the flakes are in the correct direction. I had an A4 with a flaw on the door and it was addressed beautifully. Not inexpensive but well worth it. Of course it was performed by a painter that Audi corp uses to train shops how to repair this type of paint.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Repainting the whole bumper will be 10 times more expensive than wrapping it with foil. It's not all about the money TBH, but paying 10x more does not really return the value IMO. Sure it will look like a stock car, but at the same time cheaper foil wrapping can add an interesting twist to the car and make it quite unique.

·
Registered
96 Posts
How about option 1 but instead of black use the 3m 1080 in pearl white. You could get a small piece for little cash and see how closely it matches your paint. black would work on a darker coloured car as there would be less contrast but stands out like a sore thumb over white.

Or just do a small patch behind the plate and back.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yeah, I second the suggestion to wrap it in a similar white instead. I mean you can obviously tell it's black if you go that route which is way different from white so why not make it a similar white which is difficult to tell from a distance that it's not quite the same white instead? The other solutions don't look good at all and, in my opinion, make it look like there's a bigger problem you're hiding or have had it fixed but are too cheap to complete the job (like someone who had an accident and has primed the fender and never paints it kind of look!)

Don't wrap shops have the ability to color match somehow and provide a very close similar color? I say wrap in a similar white.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R, 2001 Cabrio VR6
1,138 Posts
Drill two new holes in the bottom of the number plate at the same lateral spacing as the holes in the top of the plate. Then mount the number plate using the new holes and the upper holes in the bumper. It'll hide the flaw until you can either get the bumper repainted or get a used bumper in the correct color.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.