VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I saw this posted in the 2.0T technical forum but it wasn't really resolved. I have a 2006 GTI with the 2.0T engine (duh). I've had the APR 93 octane chip program installed and for the most part it's been great. The airbag fault light has been going on lately but I can deal with that.
But the other night, I was driving down the highway and I got stuck in traffic. I had the car in neutral and the RPMs slowly started to rise to between 2 & 3k and then would drop. This fluctuation continued for the rest of the drive and continues to happen. The car seems to do it less at higher speeds. Also, when I turn the AC on, it does not happen. I switched it back to stock mode but that didn't work. After some time of driving, there is also a high pitch squeeling noise.
Someone mentioned that it may be a PCV valve issue. Forgive me but I'm not the most mechanically inclined.
If anyone has any ideas, I would love to know about it. Does anyone think it is the PCV and how much would it cost to fix?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Please Help!!! Idling RPM issues (GTI24)

I haven't heard that the PCV (or the recirculation valve) would cause the idle speed to vary as you are seeing. Does it happen on a cold start? If so it could possible be the throttle valve control module. The dealer might be your best bet, especially if you're under 60K mi and still under warranty. I don't think NP is particularly receptive to upgraded GTIs, though.
Keep us updated. please.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Re: Please Help!!! Idling RPM issues (GTI24)

Quote, originally posted by GTI24 »

I believe I saw this posted in the 2.0T technical forum but it wasn't really resolved. I have a 2006 GTI with the 2.0T engine (duh). I've had the APR 93 octane chip program installed and for the most part it's been great. The airbag fault light has been going on lately but I can deal with that.
But the other night, I was driving down the highway and I got stuck in traffic. I had the car in neutral and the RPMs slowly started to rise to between 2 & 3k and then would drop. This fluctuation continued for the rest of the drive and continues to happen. The car seems to do it less at higher speeds. Also, when I turn the AC on, it does not happen. I switched it back to stock mode but that didn't work. After some time of driving, there is also a high pitch squeeling noise.
Someone mentioned that it may be a PCV valve issue. Forgive me but I'm not the most mechanically inclined.
If anyone has any ideas, I would love to know about it. Does anyone think it is the PCV and how much would it cost to fix?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3211817 sounds like what happened to me. it was indeed the pcv valve (positive crankcase ventilation valve) dealer covered under warranty. if you're out of warranty, the new valve's around 150 bucks and and hour or so of labor to install.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Re: Please Help!!! Idling RPM issues (shue333)

I just bought Revision "G" PCV today while at the dealer. It was about 75 I think. No need to get the gasket, that is listed for $50.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.