VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been doing about 2 hours of searching.im going to be installing a wet kit.i cant find alot of good pictures.im looking for good pictures of the install,mainly where to tap into the fuel using a tee.where to put the solinoids,where to put the fogger.im mostly concerned becuase im trying to get all my fittings and things together.i really want to get some ideals.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Re: please help me with my nitrous set up for a mk IV (sikasssvr6)

shoulda went with dry, from what ive heard, the mk4 intake mani doesn't flow liquid very well...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: please help me with my nitrous set up for a mk IV (Duzz)

lol,so your expert opinion is i should have gone dry because thats what you have HEARD??
wet or dry is not the topic of this thread,ive done my reading on wet or dry,most people say that the new NX shark(wet) nozzles are fine for the vr6 mani.
im using the shark nozzle,so its not an issue.im looking for pics(on mkIV's) of actual set ups,to get better ideals of where to mount things and run hoses and lines.ive read over the 10 page nitrous thread here on the tex.just not many pictures of the mkIV's.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Re: please help me with my nitrous set up for a mk IV (leebro61)

your gonna blow..
you have to understand the mk4 vr6 manni and the mk3 vr6 manni is COMPLETLY DIFFERENT.
shark nozzel or not, you should have read more.
its a big risk on the mk3 manni;s and they are much safer then the mk4 manni's.
i have a spare motor in the garage, lett me knwo when you need it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Re: please help me with my nitrous set up for a mk IV (dancdas)

Geezs-- let the guy learn on his own--but I ran wet system for four years on other car, I had not one problem- but then again not a Vw-- with nitrous it always play at your own risk--good luck finding your answers.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: please help me with my nitrous set up for a mk IV (dancdas)

Quote, originally posted by dancdas »
your gonna blow..
you have to understand the mk4 vr6 manni and the mk3 vr6 manni is COMPLETLY DIFFERENT.
shark nozzel or not, you should have read more.
its a big risk on the mk3 manni;s and they are much safer then the mk4 manni's.
i have a spare motor in the garage, lett me knwo when you need it.

so you have actually seen the mk IV motor blow from running a wet kit,seriously,i want to know what you have seen.not heard about,not your cousins freinds brothers sisters boyfreinds mother.i didnt read where any one blew their motor from this.im really not trying to be a smart ass,i just dont like to hear rumors or things that people HEARD. if you know a thread with more info id really like to read it.
what the real difference between the wet and dry,i know wet uses the fule solinoid and the dry uses the regulator,is that the only difference?if so i could easily just switch out some parts.
please help inlighten me!!

·
Registered
4,568 Posts

IM Replied to http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
587 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sikasssvr6 »

what the real difference between the wet and dry,i know wet uses the fule solinoid and the dry uses the regulator,is that the only difference?if so i could easily just switch out some parts.
please help inlighten me!!

Dry is by far better on any modern fuel injected car. whether its a vr6 a 2.0 a honda a neon any of them. The intake manifold is not designed to flow fuel. Basically the difference between the two is this: dry-only nitrous is injected through the throttle/intake by the fogger, using 2 nitrous solenoids and regulator fuel is added through the injectors by changing the pressure/vacuum at the fuel pressure regulator. Wet- nitrous and fuel are both injected through the throttle/intake from the same fogger using one fuel and one nitrous solenoid. The best example of not using wet on a fuel injected car is N.O.S. they are by far the leaders and of course the originators of modern nitrous systems and they will almost always recommend a dry system and they list dry systems for most all fuel injected vehicles. hope this helps

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: please help me with my nitrous set up for a mk IV (1badtsi)

are the 2 sloinoids on the dry set up the same part #'s?then with the blue NOS reg in the middle???

·
Registered
587 Posts

are the 2 sloinoids on the dry set up the same part #'s?then with the blue NOS reg in the middle???
yes i believe they are, also the fogger and jetting is completely different from a wet to a dry system

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mk4 mani was designed for air not fuel. It puddles badly by the butterflies. Dry kits are def reccommended. safest kit to get is the zex 55 shot. if u want to run more then 55 on a dry u need an adjustable fpr.
BUMP UP THAT PSI

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Re: (Cause4panic)

Quote, originally posted by Cause4panic »
Mk4 mani was designed for air not fuel. It puddles badly by the butterflies.

All EFI intake manifolds are designed for air. And there is no way the fuel can puddle... if you have ever flow tested your jets its pretty obvious that the fuel is to fine to puddle. What you have to worry about with a wet kit and a LONG manifold like ours is uneven distribution of the fuel/n2o mixture. Don't worry about the dual plenum design of the MK4 or VGI manifold that doesn't mean squat. I used a wet kit for a while and only had one backfire and it was at WOT! Just keep researching and be careful... happy spraying

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Re: (schrickedVR6)

Quote, originally posted by schrickedVR6 »

All EFI intake manifolds are designed for air. And there is no way the fuel can puddle... if you have ever flow tested your jets its pretty obvious that the fuel is to fine to puddle. What you have to worry about with a wet kit and a LONG manifold like ours is uneven distribution of the fuel/n2o mixture. Don't worry about the dual plenum design of the MK4 or VGI manifold that doesn't mean squat. I used a wet kit for a while and only had one backfire and it was at WOT! Just keep researching and be careful... happy spraying

if fuel puddling didnt cause your backfire what did??? all uneven distribution would do is make certain cylinders run leaner than others... so basically what im wondering is why you feel you're wet kit backfired, and at the same time why mine did the same thing

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Re: (GTIStile)

I am not exactly sure what caused my backfire but I do have some assumptions. But I am 100% sure it wasn't due to puddling because I was in 3rd gear at WOT, no way in the world fuel is moving slow enough to puddle. And on top of that like I stated earlier the atomization of fuel is so fine that it couldn't puddle (unless you had a clogged fuel jet??).
What I think might have caused the backfire is a number of things: the overlap/duration of my cams and the lack of using a high octain slow burning race gas. Combine that together and it sure is possable if you leave the intake valve open just long enough the flame front from that cheap 94 sunoco could make its way to the open intake valve and ignite n2o/fuel mixture sitting in the upper manifold. I am just guessing though so take that with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Re: (GTIStile)

Quote, originally posted by GTIStile »

if fuel puddling didnt cause your backfire what did??? all uneven distribution would do is make certain cylinders run leaner than others... so basically what im wondering is why you feel you're wet kit backfired, and at the same time why mine did the same thing

but just for reference fuel puddling is almost IMPOSABLE on a EFI car with a wet kit unless you spray at idle... lol

·
Registered
587 Posts
Re: (schrickedVR6)

Quote, originally posted by schrickedVR6 »

but just for reference fuel puddling is almost IMPOSABLE on a EFI car with a wet kit unless you spray at idle... lol

i will have to disaggree with you on this, the puddling is caused by spot inside the intake plenum or runners where air would normally flow passed no problem the fuel(no matter how fine and aotmized) sticks to the walls inside the intake. This is why you arent supposed to run wet kits on most efi cars. As opposed to say a carbed. 69 camaro where the intake manifold is designed for flowing fuel with the air. If this wasnt the case there would be no reason why not to run wet on all cars.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (1badtsi)

well,i sold my wet kit,bought a dry kit,i want to be able to retard the timing when i arm the nitrous.is there any ways to do this easily.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Re: (sikasssvr6)

well,i sold my wet kit,bought a dry kit,i want to be able to retard the timing when i arm the nitrous.is there any ways to do this easily.

Giac makes a chip that will do this for you. however i dont know if they make it for MK4's yet or not....i'd give them a call. if you arent gonna be running anything more than say 50-75 shot i wouldnt even worry about retarding the timing anyways. stock chip will be fine. as long as you arent running a chip that advances the timing you will be fine. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 57 Posts