VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my rear disk brake conversion kit completely melted and I need to know the specs of this kit to replace some parts.
Does anyone know what make the ECS Tuning kits are actually from or what the specs are?
Thank you

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Re: Please help stranded in new york (mjbst111)

the whole thing melted??? or you mean the bearing inside of it.
If its the bearing inside, the best thing to do is to get a spindle, the new bearings and a rotor.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Okay, this is actually me and my car, and yep, it's the bearing that melted. The spindle (stub axle?) is toast as well as are the bearings, the seals, the pads and the rotors. My caliper barely barely barely made it.
I need to know what car these parts are off (these are all OEM parts) of from ECS Tuning's rear disc conversion kit. I am guessing that this is from an A2 GTI because it is a 4x100 bolt setup, but that's just a guess.
I am hoping to find these parts today, and there's no dealerships parts dept's open, so I need to go to Pep Boys or Autozone or something of the sort and tell them what car I need the part off of, or if I can get to a local junkyard, what car to pull the parts off of.
Anyhow, thanks in advance for your responses. Also, if any of you know any of the guys from ECS Tuning, like Tom or whoever, and how to reach them after hours, that would be most appreciated.
Oh yeah, and props to Mikey B for posting this up for me when I didn't have access to a computer - please still give me a call if some good info pops up, as I am using dialup and can't check often.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Re: (knightpitt)

is it a 2.0 or a vr, the spindle doesnt matter. You can ask for parts for a 97 and up jetta gt or golf gti that has rear brakes. since they are all OEM parts anyways its all the same. The bearings ( 2 of em) are like $5 for one and $3 for the other, the seal is like $2 but the spindle can be a bit pricey around $40 or so I think. Thats the price for it down here but I dont know about NYC. Go to discount auto parts, or autozone, or NApa and you can get the parts there.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Re: (slammed dub)

Depending on how much $$$ you have Id get a rear disc as well as and you will need to get the bearings pressed or just beat em in gently and thats it man.

·
Registered
229 Posts
it's a 2.0 so it's a 4x100 bolt setup.
The A3's as far as I know didn't come with a 4 bolt rear disc setup, so my conversion kit came with a different spindle for the caliper to bolt on to. It's this spindle that I think is going to be the hardest to find. I know that the spindle that I pulled out with my drums isn't even close to being the same as the one that came with the kit, so I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to just get any OEM style spindle.
I'm pretty sure that I can find a new disc as well as the pads, bearings, and seals. I can do all of the work, so problem, but just need to find the parts.
Thanks again for your replies!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts

The jetta gt and wolfburg came with rear discs so its easier to find the parts for those. The spindle is the same on a vr as a 2.0 but it comes out as different part #s for some reason. I know cause I have a 2.0 jetta gt which came with rear discs from factory and I have a vr spindle on one side and a 2.0 spindle on the other and its the same exact part.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I didn't know that the GT came with rear discs. Is it still 4 bolt ? If so, this just might make finding parts very much easier.
Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts

Yeah its 4 bolt, that will make it much easier than lookin for old 16v or g60 parts or you man. The spindles are the same though but specify wether its left or right and have em make sure its the right one. ITs not a hard job to do at all bro. Its easiest if you have that 8mm (i think) hex key socket for the rear brakes to take em apart. And be careful when pullin the bolts of the spindle. GEt some good grease for the bearing. I use the castrol synthetic grease on mine and its friggin awesome. Just get the bearings and put some grease on your hands and rub it so that grease gets in between the bearing when putting it all together. Good luck with it man. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Re: (slammed dub)

also when you tighten the bolt up for the spindle on the top dont overtighten it or you will cause it to get messed up again. The rotor should spin freely as long as you dont have the ebrake on when you are done.

·
Registered
229 Posts
okay, I found out 99.2% sure that the parts are off an A2 GTI. Anyone know where to get a left rear spindle (stub axle) on Sunday about 20 miles N of Philly?

·
Registered
218 Posts

20 miles north of philly leaves you...where? im about 2 hrs from philly so i mite be able to help you out there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts