VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Jetta GLS with 1.8T. I have all these lights on and recently it started doing this whole surging thing. While I’m rather proficient in American and Japanese engines this German engine is proving to be quite problematic in comparison. I replaced the head timing belt and water pump about 10000 miles ago and it has been running quite well until this week. I lost the exhaust flange gasket and replaced it today thinking it would fix this surging issue but it has not. Wish it would let me post a video but it won’t. 🤬😡
Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Gauge Trip computer

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Have you scanned for codes? I would start with that.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
It can't read everything on a VW. But it should be able to pull codes for the CEL. ABS system probably not, so its not fully incorrect.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
With so many lights on (many seek related to ABS), I would scan for codes. You can spend money fixing what you think is the issue or spend money on a proper scan and fix the real issue.

If I was going to start somewhere that only costs me time (vs. money), I would inspect the ABS tone rings (wheel speed sensors).

Steve

·
Registered
1999 Golf GTI 2.slow, 2000 Beetle GLS 2.slower, 2001 Golf GTI 1.8t
1,091 Posts
A 409.1 KKL cable from Amazon or eBay ($20) + the unregistered version of vcds lite (free) will let you pull trouble codes from all modules.

If you post your auto scan, we can help diagnose your issue.

Also, check that the three pin connector on top of the battery is fully seated. It powers the ABS and radiator.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update. Replaced all gaskets in the top end. Installed a new KO4 turbo( reman turbonetics). Idles like a dream! Cruises at 60mph like a champ. 0-60mph time. Eventually. It accelerates like it’s a fully loaded semi. 1st gear at WOT( all will be at WOT) 25 at best, 2nd gear maybe 30, 3rd 45 if I’m lucky, 4th possibly 50, 5th I can get to 60 and it just cruises like a dream. Wastegate seems to be losing vacuum and staying open when the throttle is cracked open. I can hear it hissing. I can also hear a vacuum leak whistling somewhere under the hood while I’m accelerating. So with a little more tweaking I think it may be back to where I started. Then it will be getting the trouble lights off. Can the ABS system actually cause performance issues when there are issues within the ABS system? If so chock up another dumbass idea to the Germans.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
I would get it scanned for codes. You might find a local VW group on Facebook and see if anyone has VCDS that can help you out. Its all just guesswork until you scan the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts