VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2.0 16v with a neuspeed cam and chip, 1.8l head techtonics exhaust and cat. and the good old k&n drop in. I am getting tired of loosing races and need lots more power and I have been toying with the idea of a vr6 swap but hate the thought of it being I love the 16v. I could tune the engine to within inches of it's life and have a real fast dub, but I drive the thing to work 50 miles away every day. so what I am looking for is more power and reliability, but none of that turbo crap I can't afford to shell oput the 5k on that but I am not against spending about 2k to get this thing to run with all my friends and their moded vr's. Please give me any suggestions you have
Thank you
Scott

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Re: please talk me out of a vr6 conversion (2litre16v)

Buy a '69 GTO for the races and keep the 16v for the corners.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

From your post I believe the 1.8 head isn't p&p'd. The first thing I would do is have the exhaust side of the head opened up. That cam is giving you 7 hp max, so the next mod would be more aggressive cams. 260/268 would probably give you at least 15 hp and keep the drivability. The last thing I would do chip it or do the TT fuel mod. The icing on the cake would be a close ratio 84 GTI tranny with a taller 5th gear.
These mod's should give you 20-25 hp.. Total hp shoud be around 150.
It will cost you about 1500.00-2000.00, but will be worth it.
If you want some ideas call Kris at Velocity and pick his brain. He LOVES to talk about 16v's (310)952-0003

Patrick

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Re: please talk me out of a vr6 conversion (TurboRocco)

why waste a 16v? If your going to do a swap, get an 8v golf and swap the 8v out, not a 16v. Vr6's are over-rated anyways.. (uh oh, what have I started???)
Personally, I would way rather have a strong 16v than a Vr6.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Re: please talk me out of a vr6 conversion (Fettes Brot)

Add a turbo and u will have a VR6 killer, trust me on this. a 15psi stock 2.0 16v with SDS gives u a 12.xx on street tyres. or 11.xx with slicks. check "Oversteer" car if u don't know it, check at the hardcorevw forum or on the SDS site. Good Luck

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Re: please talk me out of a vr6 conversion (nabilsx)

Keep the 16v the way it is...they're rare anyway and shouldn't be messed with in terms of engine swaps. Sounds to me like you need a set of better cams and some head work. Seriously, a well highly tuned 2.0 16v in an A2 can whip a few A3 VR6 cars' butts. Also, if you are looking for more acceleration for races, get a close ratio 6-speed gearbox...it'll do wonders to the car. The VR6 will add too much weight to the front of the car and cause it to nose dive and understeer too much. Just work with the 16v motor. What are you losing races to? Cuz I have a 1990 GLI 2.0 16v with K&N, Neuspeed P-chip, Euro intake cam, TT high flow cat and Gillett 2.5" exhaust and I'm able to whip Civic Si, Accord, Mustang V6, Grand Am GT, Cavalier Z24, BMW 318 and 325 (older model), a few stock A3 and A4 VR6 cars, stock Audi A4 1.8T, Dodge Neon RT, and other cars similar to these.
I pretty much have the same exact mods that you do except I still have the stock 2.0 head, which will give me more low end torque than a 1.8 head will. I would first start with a set of cams then see how it works before I do anything else major. If you can, put the stock 2.0 head back on and add cams, then experiement between the 1.8 and 2.0 head for a while before you decide which is better.

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
Re: please talk me out of a vr6 conversion (Ted)

I'd keep and work the 16V a little more - but there is only so much that can be done - as an alternative (if you have good credit or a deep bank account) consider a 1.8T swap - more $$ at 1st than a VR6 swap- but a lighter motor - and with a cheap turbo upgrade ($1000 max) - you can get 250 + HP - would take a lof of $$ to get a VR6 to that power - and it's a much heavier motor - just a thought - I have an awesome running GLI 2.0 16V with some mods - but it hands down loses BIG time to my 1.8T GTI - not even a comparison - and my GTI is faster with just a chip than any lightly modded VR6 -

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

well I can say I have a friend that has a 1.8t totally stock and I pull on him a bit so maybee with new cams and some head work I can get a bit more power that I am looking for

·
Registered
3,573 Posts

only reasons two do a vr swap..
1 you don't have a 16v
2 you don't want to swap a G60 in

do you have any idea how much it costs to do a vr swap? my brother has one, so far 6k+ invested. its running now, and its fast. he said it will spin the tires all the way through 2nd with out trying...
you said you were willing to spend 2k, why don't you do the matrix turbo kit? its a lot less then a vr swap, and it will be just as fast.. maybe faster.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Re: please talk me out of a vr6 conversion (dj age one)

fully PnP the head. and deck it .015 thousands. add the cams (276's hehehe), and get a header. you will have MUCH more power and about 11-1 compression and still run pump gas. that is the easiest and most cost effective approach.
cams-1k
PnP-buy the tools and do it your self
deck the head-100 bucks and have it all put together by the shop
header-300 bucks.
so do it all yourself and you got about 1500 into it and have a killer 16v. thats what i am doing. then adding badger5 throttle bodies
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,975 Posts

My 98 VR6 is a dog. Way to heavy for it's own good.
Tune out a nice small engine, have a good time with it. Save the money you would pour into a VR http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
551 Posts

okay.
how about you talk yourself out of it by answering these questions?....
1. do you enjoy a fast cornering vehicle?
2. do you enjoy the element of suprise?
3. do you want to be like everyone else?
answers:
1. a properly done 16v will spank a VR6, even a mildly modified one. straight line and hands down through the tighties... i've had mustangs and even older corvettes on the menu many-o-time.
2. one night i was just chillin on my way home, and a mk4 VR6 blasted by me large, playin the game that we all know so well. after catching up to him, we started playing, and there was no chance in hell that he could stay with me....
granted, it's a heavier car, and he had 3 people while i only had 2.
so, they guy in the passenger seat puts up 6 fingers with a questioning look on his face... (i must have a VR6, right?) when i put up 4 fingers, all of their jaws dropped to the floor....
3. everyone and their brother has a friggin' VR6 in their mk2....
there's just something special about being able to use all 8000 rpm that god gave you....

'nuff said.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Re: please talk me out of a vr6 conversion (Schrick GTX)

My eyes welled up with tears of joy Schrick. I love 16v's.

[Modified by Fettes Brot, 7:41 PM 12-2-2001]

·
Registered
10,111 Posts

i have owned moded vr6 gti, moded g60, and now own a moded 16v. of the three, the 16v woops much arse
it is great not having to slow down as one approaches a very serious curve (you don't want the extra weight up front, unless its a few hot females posing on your ride
)
take care,
nashty

·
Registered
693 Posts
Re: please talk me out of a vr6 conversion (hare up your arse)

quote:[HR][/HR]you don't want the extra weight up front, unless its a few hot females posing on your ride
[HR][/HR]​
Or if you're car is slammed 4" on 17s like many of the A2 GTI VR6s are. A lot of them are just show cars. I've seen tons of people who spends thousands and thousands of dollars on go-fast mods so it looks good on paper to win shows. But during the week, the car never leaves the garage to do what it was built to do.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Re: please talk me out of a vr6 conversion (hare up your arse)

quote:[HR][/HR](you don't want the extra weight up front, unless its a few hot females posing on your ride
)
[HR][/HR]​
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
551 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]My eyes welled up with tears of joy Schrick. I love 16v's.[HR][/HR]​
yes, this is a tender spot for me aswell....

for some disturbed reason, i love being the underdog, and coming out on top when i've only got this little 4 cylinder under the hood....
2litre16v, forget this VR6 madness, drop the neuspeed cam & chip, sell them, pump some schrick 276s, a 50mm intake, and a garrett. do a cam gear if you have change left over. you will not be dissapointed....
or you could always buy my car...................

1 - 19 of 19 Posts