VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! I NEED SOME HELP IN BEING POINTED TO THE RIGHT DIRECTION. MY EPC LIGHT CAME ON AND I TOOK MY 02 VW PASSAT A LOCAL SHOP HERE IN HOLLOMAN AFB AND ALSO TO AUTOZONE TO CHECK THE LIGHT. THEY GAVE ME 3 CODES P0420 (Catayst system efficiency below threshold bank 1) Explanation : Faulty catalytic converter. Probable cause * rich air/fuel ratio * air leak near rear H02S * Faulty fuel control H02S, P0688 (ECM power relay sense circuit open) Exp: Open or short circuit condition. Prob Cause: * Failed Fuse * Poor electrical communication. AND P1296 ( Manufacturer specific code. which i've been reading here is a bad CTS.
I've tested our battery, starter, and alternator. And our vehicle is running ok.
PLS HELP ME figure this out. Don't know what parts I need to fix the vehicle. I called a VW dealership and they said I need to pay $90 for them to tell me what's wrong and why my EPC light is on. VW is 2 hours away from this base and would prefer to have it fixed locally.

· Registered
4,676 Posts
Re: PLS HELP ME MY EPC LIGHT IS ON AND I HAVE 3 OBD CODES P0420, P0688, P1296 (VWcheck-engineWINNER)

I've seen those codes when the o2 wires become severed.

· Banned
4,349 Posts
Re: PLS HELP ME MY EPC LIGHT IS ON AND I HAVE 3 OBD CODES P0420, P0688, P1296 (2002VWPASSAT1.8T)

the o2 wires are the sensors on the catalytic converter, under the car on the exhaust pipe. and if they get damaged or short out, that will fry the ecu.
just curious, is the car running? what are the symptoms of these codes?

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: PLS HELP ME MY EPC LIGHT IS ON AND I HAVE 3 OBD CODES P0420, P0688, P1296 (Hawaii5-0)

Thank You for helping me with the location!
Yes the car runs fine so far I havent experienced anything unusual I think its idling a little harder but maybe i've already pysched myself out
No symptoms and So far no driveability issues

· Registered
78 Posts
Re: PLS HELP ME MY EPC LIGHT IS ON AND I HAVE 3 OBD CODES P0420, P0688, P1296 (2002VWPASSAT1.8T)

my 00 jetta 1.8t has been having the same problem it really only comes on when its rainy out or high humidity so iv found out. it comes on while im driving but if i turn the car off then turn it back on everythings fine again nd i got my horse power back. i think it has something to do with the throttle body but im not 100% sure on it i havnt changed mine yet but when i do ill update. i can also feel when its about to come on casue the car starts to bog a little bit but if i down shift it nd gun it real fast it stops it self...but not for long haha if you fix the problem please update so i can fix mine

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: PLS HELP ME MY EPC LIGHT IS ON AND I HAVE 3 OBD CODES P0420, P0688, P1296 (1.8tLyons)

Well, I had to get my oil changed and decided to replace my fuel filter as well. So far the car is alot smoother and doesnt idle as rough its actually better. My EPC light is still on..it hasnt shut off yet and its been almost a month. I'm going to have my car scanned with a generic scanner @ autozone ( since there isnt anyone near me with a VAG-COM) and see if the code for the fuel running lean/rich turned off since I changed my fuel filter.. I'll let et you know of any updates.

· Registered
369 Posts

for your EPC light...it can be a few things... for my EPC light problem, it was the brake switch. check if your brake lights turn on/off when you step on and off the brake pedal... my Jetta GLX is a 2000 with 80k ... i found out there was a recall on it so it may be worth a shot to check your VIN with the dealer... I too have the dreaded p0420 code too! i use to turn off on warmer days and on on colder days... now it's on for good (at least for the past couple weeks) ... i dont smell anything out of the ordinary from the exhaust system. usually u can smell rotten eggs from a bad cat but in spite of the lack of rotten egg smell, that doesn't mean my cat is bad :-/... i was thinking about trying out the O2 Spacer mod and see if that works... i'm sure eventually, i'll have to dish out a billion dollars for a new cat.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: PLS HELP ME MY EPC LIGHT IS ON AND I HAVE 3 OBD CODES P0420, P0688, P1296 (vul104)

My brake lights are working. In fact I just changed a bulb today. For the brake switch is it under neath the pedal?? and what do i do after I find it??? Sorry don't know much about cars and trying to educate myself through here. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
369 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.