VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me if a 225/50/16 tire will fit on the stock wheels "Le Castellet" 16x6.5. Current stock tires 205/55/16
I have already lowered the car by ca. 1.5" with Neuspeed Sport Lowering Springs/Bilsteins
I am concerned about the 225 tire width on the 6.5 rim AND the fact that the car is lower

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
378 Posts
Re: Plus sizing on 2000 Jetta GLS VR6 (teutone72)

I'm sure you could put a 225/50 on the stock wheel . . . but it would have a seriously bowed sidewall. You might gain some tire width but infact be loosing some crispness in steering response due to the tire "floating" on the rim. I would recommend you go to a 7.5 inch width if your going to go with that size tire. Keep in mind that A3 owners are frequently putting 205's and 215's on 7.5 width rims.
I guess thats one vote no! If your looking for better handling on the stock 16x6.5 wheels, go to a better tire not a bigger tire! Just one mans opinion!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Plus sizing on 2000 Jetta GLS VR6 (Kevin M Warner)

that's what I was suspecting, just needed to hear different opinions....thanks though for your input
That still leaves the concern of a possible new rim width of 7.5x17 with 215 or 225 tires.....not sure I'll get the clearance without rubbing on either fender or shock parts since the car's lower by 1.5"
any idea on that topic?
thanks again

·
Registered
378 Posts

I'm positive you can put 17x8's on a MK4 with 225/45 17's. All you need is the correct offset . . . I think 38mm or 35mm. Lowering the car by an inch and a half won't change that, you don't have an extreme drop. As for wheel offset, work with a reputable dealer and they will give you the scoop. I highly recommend the Tire Rack. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
662 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Can anybody tell me if a 225/50/16 tire will fit on the stock wheels "Le Castellet" 16x6.5. Current stock tires 205/55/16
I have already lowered the car by ca. 1.5" with Neuspeed Sport Lowering Springs/Bilsteins I am concerned about the 225 tire width on the 6.5 rim AND the fact that the car is lower
[HR][/HR]​
I just installed a set of 225/50-16 Dunlop SP8000's on my 16x6.5" Jetta Wolfsburg BBS wheels. A 225/50-16 is
rated for use on a 6.0" to 8.0" rim width and while they do look a little pinched, the improvement in ride and
handling over the stock 205/55-16 Michelins is phenominal, and i don't use that term lightly ! I'm sure most
of the improvement is because the SP8000 is a serious performance tire with much stiffer sidewalls and much
grippier compound, but the extra 1½" of contact patch width also contributes to the vast improvement.
Seeing as how the factory Sport Package uses 225/45-17 tires on 7" wide wheels a 225/50-16 wouldn't cause
any rubbing issues, no more so than the stock 17" setup. Here's some pics that show the difference in contact
patch width and a good view of how much the sidewalls are pinched on a 6½" rim. They're a little more pinched
than i'd like, but still within acceptable range for that size tire and it sure looks a lot better than the stock tires
did !! Here's a couple of threads where i talk about the new setup.......
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=163915
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=163903

[Modified by RandyWalters, 5:58 AM 12-21-2001]

·
Registered
662 Posts
Re: Plus sizing on 2000 Jetta GLS VR6 (X-HondaDude)

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey Randy, got any pics of these new tires mounted on your Jetta?[HR][/HR]​
Not yet, i ran out of film after taking these comparison pics so i won't have any pics of
em on the car until i get this current roll developed (might be a few weeks or more).
Needless to say they look aggressive on the car and makes it scream even more to
be lowered (i just ordered a set of the VW/Eibach springs from the Potterman). I'll
take some shots of the car with the new fat tires before i put the new springs on

Randy

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Plus sizing on 2000 Jetta GLS VR6 (RandyWalters)

your information is great...and looking at the pics helps a lot ... I would be very interested to see how they look on your car, especially with a modified suspension system that lowers your chasis by 1.2"-2"....
Please post some pics as soon as you have completed your project...
Just another question Randy...I assume the degree of sidewall pinching with these 225/60/16's will vary depending on brand and tire rating.....any idea which ultra high performance tire would look least pinched???
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
662 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]your information is great...and looking at the pics helps a lot ... I would be very interested to see how they look on your car, especially with a modified suspension system that lowers your chasis by 1.2"-2"....
Please post some pics as soon as you have completed your project...
Just another question Randy...I assume the degree of sidewall pinching with these 225/60/16's will vary depending on brand and tire rating.....any idea which ultra high performance tire would look least pinched??? [HR][/HR]​
Well the suspension is still stock (Factory Sport as in Sport Utility) but here's the new pics of how it looks with the
bigger 225/50-16 SP8000's on the stock 16x6½ BBS wheels. I can't really say how much the other tires would be
pinched, but as long as they're all the same size the angle of the various sidewalls would probably be pretty much
the same. I took them to the canyons again yesterday and got a few dozen really hard miles on em on dry pavement
and they just do not roll over, even when i intentionally tried to provoke it into understeer. Car handles like a whole nuther
car since putting these tires on. It's actually fun to drive now compared to the stock Michelins ! I really threw it around and
it just loved it. So did i

[Modified by RandyWalters, 6:02 AM 12-21-2001]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Plus sizing on 2000 Jetta GLS VR6 (RandyWalters)

Sounds and looks good.....I decided to go with larger wheels in order to better accomodate a 225 tire...so I went to tirerack and got a package with Borbet Type S 17x7.5 wheels with Khumo ECSTA 712's 225/45/17...
I'll post some pictures once I have them one and have done some test driving...
Combined with the currently lowered Neuspeed/Bilsteins it should just ROCK....
Later
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts