VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on putting in my H & R cup kit. I've been on it for a couple hours just trying to get the front strut off. After you unbolt it, use the spreader tool, how does it come out of the housing? We are stomping on my brakes, it comes loose, but its so far in the housing it wont come out. Any advise please!

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Re: Plz help with front suspenion install! Help a brother while the search is down (SmokinDub)

i had someone push down on the brakes... someone opening the spreader even wider... and then someone pulling the strut out... ...
team effort and a lot of cursing
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
good luck!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Re: Plz help with front suspenion install! Help a brother while the search is down (SmokinDub)

The easiest way my bro and I could get it out is to stand on the disc while the top is still tighened down in the strut housing up top, after a few tries it finally came loose. MAKE SURE THE CAR IS ON QUALITY STANDS THOUGH!!!

·
Registered
981 Posts

yea, that front strut sucks. just did mine two days ago... with no spreader tool. (used one before.. but its so small i lost it.) oh well. the way i do it, is leave the top bolted in... than undo the bolts at the bottom.. and than spray some WD-40 where the connect... and than bang it down with a hammer. bang right where the strut slides in.... DOWN... don't hit the brakes or anything breakable obviously. it takes like 5 min of banging.... but it isn't that bad.
with that tool, it should take like 1 min of banging if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I used a 1/4" to 1/8" socket adapter as a spreader, it worked just fine turned 1/8th of a turn after being inserted. That spread the joint enough to make the strut come almost out. The last 1/2" is the toughest part, though.
I don't know that I recommend it, but I used my floor jack to get the strut out. I took a section of pipe about 14" long, and put the top of it right under one of the clips that held the brake lines on the old strut. I put the other end of the pipe on top of the floor jack and slowly raised the jack. This compressed the spring just enough to get the bottom of the strut out of the housing. Still took me about an hour and a half to get just that one strut out.
Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Okay, after working on this all day, my car is still jacked up, the and still the stut is stuck in the housing. I appreciate all your ideas, but I'm going to break down and get a Bently manual in the morning. I know there has to be something I'm missing here, any more advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

The psngr side is EXTREMELY hard to get out unless you unbolt the 2 sub-frame bolts. You will only need to do it on the psngr side. Just put the jack under the sub frame and take the 2 22mm bolts out and then you will easily be able to lower the sub frame and the shock will slip right off with plenty of room. That is teh easiest and the proper way to remove that strut, The drivers side will come out easily so you don't need to do it on that side.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Plz help with front suspenion install! Help a brother while the search is down (Showboard)

Yea, I started on the passenger side. No wonder I'm having so many problems. Thx for the advise, keep it coming please!

·
Registered
752 Posts

You may want to unbolt the front sway bar bolt first, it will drop a couple more inches or so. If that still isn't enough, use spring compressors and unbolt the struct mount, that should give you enough clearance. IM me if you need help.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Re: Plz help with front suspenion install! Help a brother while the search is down (jojo)

I have done over 40 A4's and all you need to do is: w/ the shock still mounted to the shock tower (Do not remove the top bolt) just remove the 2 sub frame bolts it will slide right out. You do not need to un-bolt all these extra things that people are telling you too. (no offense to anyone) Or try to squeeze spring compressors inside there. Just support the sub-frame and remove the 2 22mm bolts and slowly lower the sub frame while wiggling the shock and it will come right out. I always use a little wd40 before I start....

·
Registered
851 Posts
Re: Plz help with front suspenion install! Help a brother while the search is down (Showboard)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have done over 40 A4's and all you need to do is: w/ the shock still mounted to the shock tower (Do not remove the top bolt) just remove the 2 sub frame bolts it will slide right out. You do not need to un-bolt all these extra things that people are telling you too. (no offense to anyone) Or try to squeeze spring compressors inside there. Just support the sub-frame and remove the 2 22mm bolts and slowly lower the sub frame while wiggling the shock and it will come right out. I always use a little wd40 before I start....[HR][/HR]​
thanks for the info on that since I'll be doing mine this weekend I hope http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Plz help with front suspenion install! Help a brother while the search is down (nolimitsoldier)

Just wanted to say THANKS to everybody that replied. You made the difference as there are no bently manuals at any local book stores. For anybody about to do a suspention install, listen very carefully. The only way you are getting those front struts out of the housing is by lowering the subframe and disconnecting the sway bar. I would recomend a total of three jacks to do this. One to hold up the car, one beneath the subframe, and the other holding the arm that will fall down when you disconnect the sway bar. If you dont support this arm the bolt from the sway bar wll come flying out from the weight of the arm. If you are unsure what is your subframe, just take a 22mm socket and find the two bolts. Once you do its cake from there.
BTW, do not try to muscle the strut out. It will come out easily or it wont come out at all! Dont bother jumping on the brake disk or taking a rubber mallet to the housing, it wont help.
And everybody have fun installing your suspension. Nothing like the satisfation of doing it yourself!

·
Registered
981 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] The only way you are getting those front struts out of the housing is by lowering the subframe and disconnecting the sway bar.
BTW, do not try to muscle the strut out. It will come out easily or it wont come out at all! Dont bother jumping on the brake disk or taking a rubber mallet to the housing, it wont help.
And everybody have fun installing your suspension. Nothing like the satisfation of doing it yourself!
[HR][/HR]​

congrats on doing it yourself! that is part of the fun of owning a car... changing stuff yourself... makes you feel good...

just let me say one thing though about your post... just because this is the way that you did it... (droping the subframe) it definitly isn't the ONLY way to do it. i have changed suspensions on my car and about 5 others.. and i have never needed to drop the subframe.
well with that said, have fun with the new suspension... and keep dub'n.

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Re: Plz help with front suspenion install! Help a brother while the search is down (turbo1point8)

quote:[HR][/HR]
just let me say one thing though about your post... just because this is the way that you did it... (droping the subframe) it definitly isn't the ONLY way to do it. i have changed suspensions on my car and about 5 others.. and i have never needed to drop the subframe.
well with that said, have fun with the new suspension... and keep dub'n.[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, you can pull the driveshaft on the pass side instead, thats what i did

1 - 14 of 14 Posts