VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 GTI VR6.
I poked around in a black on leather and a blue on leather.
Disregarding my salesman's ignorant reamarks* I decided to see for myself what the hub bub was all about.
Nice exterior first impressions. I do like the overall design/color and moldings.
Nice seats but upon sitting down I noticed that the when you wrap your palms around the emergency brake your fingers need to squeeze in between the right side of the driver side seat to get a grasp. Not elegent or planned well. And of course the seats if pulled forward for shorter people, hits the sun visor when the seat are pulled up and forward for passenger back seat entry. The seats are very nice but seem to be wedged into the whether they fit or not.
Speedometer area is nice. The aluminum is nice but could've been designed better. Instead of just alluminum levers and a plate around the radio it could've been more integrated cleaner somewhat like the new 3series BMWs with the alluminum trims that sweeps cleanly from the dash/glove compartment to the side door panels.
Floor mats are nice with mat pegs to keep them in place. VW is still using the cheap old velvet carpet though. Why not have high traffic heavy duty base carpet like you see in Audis?
No power seats - still cheap pumping action
No HIDs
No full size spare
Don't get me wrong. The car is sweet and packaged decent BUT, it just did not take me over the top and make it a 'must have' for me. Trading in my still clean and most importantly Paid Off GTI for a 600/month car note was not attractive.
Nice car but I will wait for a better made hatch or if the S3 ever come to the states.

*ignorant rmarks
:
- Goes 0-60 in around 5 seconds
- Its like a Porsche cuz it uses the same Halidex system as a Porche Carerra
- Audi's are not really better made. I used to sell Audis, I know
- Only 5000 made Globally
- We are only asking 3k over invoice

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Re: Poked around in two R32s over the weekend - not too impressed (SF_VR6)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Nice dealer "lines"
Could they know less?? I really don't think so sometimes.
Hell my dealer sold me an R32 last may...oops!! I had to tell him that it wasn't an R32, it was a 20th/ '03 version of the 337. Shoulda seen his face= Priceless

·
Registered
704 Posts

Wow, you have to pay $600 a month to drive the R32. I agree, there should be a little more wow for you to pay $600 a month.
Yeah, you should pay off your 98 VW, save some money then perhaps you might be ready for an R32. Just a thought.
Most who buy this car are more mature in age and have saved in order to make the purchase. Trade in on a 98 VW is not gonna put you in an R32 at what is generally a reasonable pmnt.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SF_VR6 »

*ignorant rmarks
:

OMG priceless remarks. It's funny as I went and sat in an STi this weekend. Now I know it can be tuned (around 400whp) for not much money (compared to getting my old TT to even 340hp) and I do LOVE the agressive styling and rally herratige.
However, I sat inside and just said to myself, it's a honda!. The interior was all plasticy and just didn't have a great feel about it at all. Now I was even going to compare this to my TT (as this would be unfair) but for me the interior has to be better than that as I drive 1000+ miles a month.
So I'm either going to get an .:R32 and give the TT to the wife or she's going to get a BMW droptop (her choice) and I'll be all set with my 3.2

·
Registered
192 Posts

Yeah, I agree. I have had a deposit down for a year or so. I spent and hour walking around the car and sitting in it. Bigger motor, AWD, and a body kit. It still looks like my Mother's Golf to me. The styling is outdated. It's OK. I just don't feel the spark. I wish we could have a new Corrado with this setup...Oh well. I think I will fix up the old G60. But have fun with your new toys!!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

SF_VR6, which VW dealer did you go to? $3K over sticker is nothing. The freaks at Golden Gate VW were charging $5-6K over sticker, AND they had the gall to tell me that Ron Price was marking it up even higher at $8K above sticker!

Modified by carma at 5:16 PM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SF_VR6 »
I have a 1998 GTI VR6.
I poked around in a black on leather and a blue on leather.
Disregarding my salesman's ignorant reamarks* I decided to see for myself what the hub bub was all about.
Nice exterior first impressions. I do like the overall design/color and moldings.
Nice seats but upon sitting down I noticed that the when you wrap your palms around the emergency brake your fingers need to squeeze in between the right side of the driver side seat to get a grasp. Not elegent or planned well. And of course the seats if pulled forward for shorter people, hits the sun visor when the seat are pulled up and forward for passenger back seat entry. The seats are very nice but seem to be wedged into the whether they fit or not.
Speedometer area is nice. The aluminum is nice but could've been designed better. Instead of just alluminum levers and a plate around the radio it could've been more integrated cleaner somewhat like the new 3series BMWs with the alluminum trims that sweeps cleanly from the dash/glove compartment to the side door panels.
Floor mats are nice with mat pegs to keep them in place. VW is still using the cheap old velvet carpet though. Why not have high traffic heavy duty base carpet like you see in Audis?
No power seats - still cheap pumping action
No HIDs
No full size spare
Don't get me wrong. The car is sweet and packaged decent BUT, it just did not take me over the top and make it a 'must have' for me. Trading in my still clean and most importantly Paid Off GTI for a 600/month car note was not attractive.
Nice car but I will wait for a better made hatch or if the S3 ever come to the states.

*ignorant rmarks
:

I think you have to drive it before you can say your not impressed. Driving would probably change your mind after being in your MKIII!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Poked around in two R32s over the weekend - not too impressed (rakeyworth)

I was at Berkeley's McNevin for the 3k over. The one in SF was asking 4500.00 over

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: Poked around in two R32s over the weekend - not too impressed (carma)

MSRP in MA is normal, so don't buy over MSRP. You can have it shipped (enclosed) for $1500 from here!! Either that or wait 3 months. It's not going to be that simple for VW to sell 5000 of these cars at 30K, not that they aren't worth it, it's just a niche car. They have only been available 2-3 weeks. Don't poop your pants ! Hold on.

·
Registered
610 Posts

There's always something, isn't there? Oh boy

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: Poked around in two R32s over the weekend - not too impressed (GG-Pilot)

Huh? Above post.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Re: Poked around in two R32s over the weekend - not too impressed (NOVA337)

Quote, originally posted by NOVA337 »

I think you have to drive it before you can say your not impressed. Driving would probably change your mind after being in your MKIII!

Gotta agree with this. Coming from a MkIII VR6 myself...it handled great but rode like a washboard and was dicey in the snow. R32 mops the floor with it in every way.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Re: Poked around in two R32s over the weekend - not too impressed (gtiness)

SO basically, you didn't like the interior, so its not the car for you? Wow. Too bad you didnt drive it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts